Arrival Packages... A good idea or waste of money?

Hannah Brown

Hey!

Im heading off to Brisbane next month on a WHV for a year, bit nervous about going on my own and have seen these packages (oz adventures/ultimate oz) that give you a few nights stay at a hostel, airport pick up and help with setting up bank accounts/tax/phones. I know that i will be over paying for what they give, but as a newbie to travelling having all the paperwork set up and done so i can start looking for work sounds like an easy way to go.

Anybody have any experience with these?

Looking for a bit of advice :)

Thanks!

Airport, train or taxi, easy

Tax (TFN) go to St George's Square, sorted in 1-2 hours

Bank, establish before leaving UK

Phone, visit Telstra or Optus, both have plenty of shops in Brisi.

Book accommodation from UK side, most hostels by Bus Terminal in Roma.

Mornings work. In appointing an agent you will get what they choose ensuring they get good kickbacks too.

S

There is no need to waste your money! Just more companies taking advantage, if you can fly half way round the world by yourself you can set up bank accounts etc as well. Do not be sucked in by them

I would imagine you would still have to do the paperwork when you arrive but with their help. If you find doing these jobs worrying then maybe recruit the help of a company, at least they know whats what and where things are, which is probably the hardest bit of doing it yourself.

Cal x

I agree with AJ - You can sort it all out yourself for no stress at all.

I have set up a 'provisional' bank account with NAB - the CLASSIC (no fees) account and I just have to confirm who I am with passport when I arrive and I will be able to use it. OR you can just set one up when you land, everything is like the UK just ensure you take your passport with you.

I don't think paying a fortune for somebody to sort it all out for you is the best way!! - It is easy and simple you just have to be organised. If you are worried about meeting people get yourself into a hostel for a week or so, everybody is in the same boat as you (nervous etc)!! You will soon meet people!!

A

• 2 weeks later...
bit nervous about going on my own

If you are a very nervous newbie, then yes having someone else arrange a few nights stay at a hostel, airport pick up and help with setting up bank accounts etc.... would be a good idea to put your mind at rest. But be careful how much you pay for this service. Say $100 would be fine. But no more.

Honestly, it is so easy to do this all yourself.........and part of the adventure too.

Edited by jumpingjellybean

Forgot to mention:

Most backpacker hostels send vans to the airports / train stations, to tout for business anyway.

Most of them will also pick you up, if you pre-book with them.

So if you make the booking prior and arrange a pick-up, that is one point covered.

Your fellow backpackers or the hostel management, can easily advise in regards to filling in a tax file number form, medicare, opening a bank account (or you can even open a bank account from the UK)

People on here can even give you step-by-step guidance.

If it will make you feel more confident and comfortable and isn't too expensive then there isn't any harm in it.

When I arrived in Sydney (this was before everything could be done on the internet mind!) we paid for the first few nights to be sorted out, airport pick up, tour of the city etc. Just took a bit of the stress out of it for us.

These days all the information is easily accessible via the net so shouldn't be too difficult.

Just do whatever will make you enjoy the start of your amazing trip.

Usually a waste of money I think. The only one I've heard good things about is ultimate oz but it's still £400 or £450 i think so more money than you need to spend. It just depends on how nervous you are but I agree with AJ - if someone can travel all that way alone then they are quite brave and can manage to sort the rest alone :)