Finally bit the bullet. Anyone going next week 😊

ChrisArbuckle

So we have finally decided to just get everything booked. My cousin and his friend are currently working on farms in bundaberg staying. At the east bundy backpackers hostel !

we start our journey next Monday. Flying from Edinburgh to heathrow where were meeting another friend. We then mucked up our flights so we're travelling separate. Me and my friend fly from heathrow to China then China to Sydney. Our other friend is flying heathrow to Manila and Manila to Sydney. He's with phillipines airlines. We're woth Southern China. Any one any experience with either air line.

So yeh we get to Sydney airport all us about 9am local time. And we have to get train from Sydney airport to Central. I take t this is well signposted etc ? Anyone know how much this is. Think I read 17 dollars. Long does it take ?

so Yeh when we get to Sydney central we have to make our way to commonwealth bank and pick up our bank cards. This only seems a 5minutes walk as well so should be easy enough !

Next up is to get to bounce hostel Sydney. Again hoping its walking distance. Anyone any experience here ? Seems really good for the price. How far is it from the opera house for some photograph opportunities ? Anything else touristy do while we are there ? Also what's side bar Seems to be a night organised on the weds night at the hostel where they go there ?

On Friday we are due to fly from Sydney to bundaberg Friday at 10am. What time do the trains start and will we be able to get to the airport in time ?

Anyone any any pointers about our farm work. We're hoping that East bundy backpackers will be able to get us work.

any comments welcome. Starting to get excited now ?

Just watched a four corners documentary about farm work especially in Bunderberg. It was looking at how these farming business' contract out the employee work force to sub contractors. Some of these contractors were not paying the minimum wage to the workers. The farms would pay the contractors for the workers then the contractors would pay the workers. Just be mindfull that you are entitled to minimum wage of $21/hr, some of these contractors were paying $13-17/hr. I'm not saying don't work there as not all employers are going to be like that. But just be aware of your rights. I found this documentary to be very disturbing and shameful. However I am only influenced by what I watched on TV, but no experience in working in these areas. The fact that you have friends/relatives working in these areas be sure to sake them about pay and working conditions.

Wow... Getting your bank cards between the airport and your hostel? Forget it... Just go straight to your hostel, get freshened up - get a bite to eat, then head out to the bank and for a look around.

This stops you from sleeping all day, and means you haven't got to keep getting on and off the train with all your stuff.

Sydney's easy to get around. Just use the trains and buses.

• 3 weeks later...
Wow... Getting your bank cards between the airport and your hostel? Forget it... Just go straight to your hostel, get freshened up - get a bite to eat, then head out to the bank and for a look around.

This stops you from sleeping all day, and means you haven't got to keep getting on and off the train with all your stuff.

Sydney's easy to get around. Just use the trains and buses.

Easy for you to say mate, guarantee I get lost when I arrive in Sydney!! lol

I see you're going Melbourne in September, I arrive there either end of September/early October depending on how long I stay in Bali. Meet up for a beer dude!