First time bacpacker!

Chacha

Hey guys,

So im heading out to Darwin next month and I have a few questions, I no il probs suss it out when im there but im just so excited and it would nice to hear from others in similar situations :D any advice or opinions would be much appreciated!

So ive never stayed in a hostel my flight gets in at 4am & they have a 24 hour reception, will i have to wait until a certain time to get into my dorm or will i be allowed in when i arrive?

Advice on how long to stay in my first hostel? Was thinking 1 week?

I plan on working my way to WA clockwise is NT a place that i could get farm work? Theres lots i wanna see but not sure if il stay or just do all the touristy things and move on (heard its real expensive)

Oh and im going on my own im a tiny bit nervous about making friends which is silly cos im bound to meet lots of awsome ppl but are people generally forethcoming or are there groups and clicks of people?

Im quite bubbly and confident just need a little reassuring haha

Thanks =]

Hi!!

-Generally even if they don't have a 24 hour reception if you tell them you are arriving at 4am in the morning they will have your key to be able to give it to you, just send them an email a week or so before you are due to arrive and then send them a message the night before as well confirming your arrival time at the hotel.

-It depends what you want to do, depending on where you are from you may need to get used to the time zone, also you need to allow for setting up a bank account/confirming it, setting up a phone contract or plan and getting your tax file number. Myself and my boyfriend are going to Sydney in September - staying for 10 days which will give us enough time to get settled and find our feet before we travel on.

Your tax file number (TFN) takes roughly 10 days to come although I have got told you can ring up for the number - you can't start work without that or a bank account so it may be wise to book your hotel for 10 days or 2 weeks? This will also give you enough time to meet people and check out their plans etc.

-There is a harvest calendar check out http://www.jobs4travellers.com.au/pages/BACKPACKER-HARVEST-JOBS-CALENDAR .. this gives you a rough indication of what is going on

-How much you do and want to see depends on how much money you are taking with you, and how much you are budgeting for trips and things you do want to do!! As well as having to pay for accommodation and living costs! You can make it as expensive or as cheap as you want IMO

-If you get yourself stuck in there for meeting new people and be open to all walks of life etc you will be fine - everyone relatively has been in your position thinking the same things as you!!

Hope this helps somewhat :) Alix

Thanks so much for your reply, I completely forgot about the whole tax code + bank stuff in all my excitment haha so great shout. I have booked 8 nights on arrival thatl give me time to sort things out, i checked out that website which was very helpful cant wait to do harvesting work!

Hope you have an awsome trip! :D