Finding work

Guest51810

As already mentioned I have a extreme fear of not finding work and running out of money quickly.. I guess it probably comes with my bad experiences of finding employment here in in the past.

Does anybody have any suggestions of places it might be easier to find work? I keep reading on backpscker sites that melbourne and sydney are the hardest because there's so many people. I always thought that the bigger the city the easier it might be..

Or maybe if anybody has worked places and know that they take backpackers? I think I just need to feel more confident about the situation. I know I'll have au pairing to fall back on but I only want to do that for 2 or 3 months of the year. The rest of the time I actually want paid properly

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi, yes you will run out of money without job, me and my partner, we arrived to Perth 1Jan2015 with $20000 in pocket. I am cabinet maker and took me 3 weeks to find a job in my profession ($50000 p/annum+overtime) , my partner is environmental engineer and she is still sitting at home after 2nd interview. I can only pay the bills, food and live from 1st-1st, we are renting 2bed house $380rent, $250food, $70petrol +$50 bills, all per week... we have 4yr old kid. with UK experience can be hard to find anything unless you know right people or you are a trade. we have beaches and stunning weather however she must find something and we must both work, otherwise all idea of better life is missing the point. Mining boom is finished long time ago and people looking for a jobs and employers will employ Aussie first. If I knew I would go to Melbourne, seems to be much more job offers. PS don't look only on seek for jobs, I also heard that some of the job opportunities are fake. because of Aussie law companies advertise but position is already filled. also we hold 189 visa.

Good Luck.

Edited by dracha18

Hello dracha

Thanks very much for your message. I'm a backpacker so hopefully my outgoings won't be as expensive! And I don't have children but I guess it'll still be hard for me. I've been checking the backpacking sites, gumtree etc. Hope your partner finds something soon :)

If you work in aged care there is a lot of work in Melbourne. Pay not that good but, hey,its a start! Silver Circle, for example, are always looking for home help assistants ( council sponsored).

I'm not aged care, I'm a autism support worker but I'm actually quite keen to find out if I can do that. Every time I look I can't find anything online that gives me a straight answer. Plus they all need driving licence too. I did find two adverts that were for a support worker for learning disabilities and they didn't mention a car or anything like that. It was really similar to my job and on a backpacking site. Other than that I'm just looking for cafe work, retail etc. I wish I had bar experience but I never got around to that!

Fruit picking in the river land south Australia, specifically waikerie as they have the biggest backpacker houseboat in Australia for accomodation, I know I stayed in the waikerie hotel while doing a refurb for woolworths.and it was buzzing with back packers. Good luck

You'd need a certificate in aged care(aussie one)anyway to go down that road.Not impossible to get mind you,but it would take up valuable time to do it.Can you not hook up with other bp's and hit the road fruit picking or whatever Stacey?Share cost with petrol?I can drive but I would consider doing this so you see as much as poss of Oz in your time there?

Fruit picking in the river land south Australia, specifically waikerie as they have the biggest backpacker houseboat in Australia for accomodation, I know I stayed in the waikerie hotel while doing a refurb for woolworths.and it was buzzing with back packers. Good luck

Yes I saw that houseboat bp and it looked mega fun!Work and play hard!Yeah I'd go for it myself! :) Know Waikerie well,spent many a holiday there as a kid!

Edited by Jacaranda

You'd need a certificate in aged care(aussie one)anyway to go down that road.Not impossible to get mind you,but it would take up valuable time to do it.Can you not hook up with other bp's and hit the road fruit picking or whatever Stacey?Share cost with petrol?I can drive but I would consider doing this so you see as much as poss of Oz in your time there?

Yeah I thought that, I don't have any aged care experience anyway. It's people in their late 20's that I work with at the moment, oldest has been 50. Yeah I'm planning on travelling with other people, I would just have liked a normal job before I went on a farm. I'm not even sure I want my 2nd year visa but if I get the chance of a half decent farm job then I'll just do it so I have that option. I can't afford to do my driving lessons and save up for australia. I think it would take me a year to pass my test and then there's the chance that the longer I leave it the more chance I wouldn't go.

Yeah I thought that, I don't have any aged care experience anyway. It's people in their late 20's that I work with at the moment, oldest has been 50. Yeah I'm planning on travelling with other people, I would just have liked a normal job before I went on a farm. I'm not even sure I want my 2nd year visa but if I get the chance of a half decent farm job then I'll just do it so I have that option. I can't afford to do my driving lessons and save up for australia. I think it would take me a year to pass my test and then there's the chance that the longer I leave it the more chance I wouldn't go.

Stacey ,lots of time you see ad's looking for travel buddy's and they just want company and someone to share fuel costs,your not always expected to drive. I know your on the Facebook site and on here, so have you come across others coming out around a similar time? maybe you could try and arrange a trip with someone else as driver.

Cal x

Yeah I check all the facebook pages most days to see what sort of things are going on. I'll hopefully be okay with the greyhound pass if I need to use that, it sounds quite good. God knows how I'll be with australian journeys though.. 8 hours on Megabus almost killed me lol

I guess as long as I've got the money for the return then I'll just have to deal with it if I did have to go home early! Least I've got quite a lot of hospitality experience now. Would be ideal if I could get bar experience but not likely. I wonder if my local would let me volunteer for a night or two to show me the ropes haha but I couldn't really lie about that on my cv so a day or two would still be useless

Stacey did you watch "Worlds toughest jobs"?The one where 3 young brits worked on the farm,out in the sticks?One of the girls left the farm but managed to get a job in a cafe in a small town.I think you need to keep this in mind ok?The people on this forum are a tiny amount of people really considering the pop of Australia.Not that their viewpoints are irrelevant of course,but thats putting it into perspective.When you consider how many more people are in Oz,the possibilities etc?You'll be fine hon.