Couple planning on getting WHV then looking for Sponsorship

Daymo Cammish

Hi All,

Me and my girlfriend are looking to arrive in Australia at the end of September 2015, currently the plan is to get a WHV, do the 88 days work required for a second WHV, then travel around for a bit.

The idea is to look for sponsored jobs once we've found an area we like the most. i'm a Mechanical Design Engineer and my Girlfriend is a teacher currently doing her NQT year.

is this the right way to go about things, as a sponsored job could lead to being able to apply for citizenship at some point in the future couldnt it?

just look for some general advise really on how we should plan our trip with regards to doing work for second WHV, then trying and find a sponsored job!

Hi All,

Me and my girlfriend are looking to arrive in Australia at the end of September 2015, currently the plan is to get a WHV, do the 88 days work required for a second WHV, then travel around for a bit.

The idea is to look for sponsored jobs once we've found an area we like the most. i'm a Mechanical Design Engineer and my Girlfriend is a teacher currently doing her NQT year.

is this the right way to go about things, as a sponsored job could lead to being able to apply for citizenship at some point in the future couldnt it?

just look for some general advise really on how we should plan our trip with regards to doing work for second WHV, then trying and find a sponsored job!

As far as teaching is concerned, your girlfriend will need four years of university study to qualify to teach in Australia.

There are lots of different kinds of visas and not all them lead to permanent residence. Do some more research about skills in demand and if yours is. Also investigate as to whether you qualify to apply for a PR visa.

Most of all, just enjoy your WHV.

Edited by Sammy1

the teaching degree in the UK is only 3 years though, is there a way around this?

No, it is mandatory across Australia to have four years. If your girlfriend has a three year degree she will need to undertake one more year of study in a related area, for example, a grad certificate of special education or a masters.

Unfortunately this catches people out, but there are options. A three year Bachelor of Education together with one more year of university grad study is accepted, or a three year Bachelor of Arts together with a one year P.G.C.E teaching qualification is acceptable. None of the teaching registration boards will register a teacher without four years of study.

Edited by Sammy1

No, it is mandatory across Australia to have four years. If your girlfriend has a three year degree she will need to undertake one more year of study in a related area, for example, a grad certificate of special education or a masters.

Unfortunately this catches people out, but there are options. A three year Bachelor of Education together with one more year of university grad study is accepted, or a three year Bachelor of Arts together with a one year P.G.C.E teaching qualification is acceptable.

Thankyou for the information, would there be any options available to obtain the final year required in Australia? via a university there? or does it have to be completed in Britian prior to arriving in oz?

Thankyou for the information, would there be any options available to obtain the final year required in Australia? via a university there? or does it have to be completed in Britian prior to arriving in oz?

Your girlfriend could study in Australia for a year, absolutely, just be aware that she would pay international fees which are very expensive.

Okay, i guess we'll have to go back to the drawing board with our plans then! thanks again for your help!

Don't give up on your dreams, just do lots of research and make a long term plan (even if it does take a a couple of years longer) - it's all possible.

Okay, i guess we'll have to go back to the drawing board with our plans then! thanks again for your help!

Well there is quite possibly a much simpler way than two WHVs and trying to find a sponsor.

It is called skilled migration and the visas are the 189 or 190. Your OH won't qualify for the mentioned reasons, but you might and if you are a defacto couple she comes on your application.

Once there you would be permanent residents so she could top up her studies at domestic rates in order to work as a teacher.

I agree with Bungo, you're much better off looking into whether you can get a "proper" visa than trying to get sponsorship on a WHV.

The idea that it's easy to get sponsorship on a WHV is a myth - you hear about the successes because people shout them from the rooftops, but you don't hear about the majority of other hopefuls who don't manage it. Employers don't take a decision to sponsor people lightly - they have to jump through a LOT of bureaucratic hoops - and unless your skills are really in demand, they're not interested. I've known a few departmental managers (in different firms) who've tried to sponsor a WHV person, but the HR department just shot them down in flames.

I guess the best option for us is to firstly go over on a WHV and see how we like it over there first.

There is a considerable difference money wise for a WHV and a 189/190, while on a WHV, I can at least approach a few companies first to see if there could be a chance of a full time position before fully commiting to a 189/190 visa.

It also gives us chance to scope the country out to fully decide on a place to stay.

If we did our agricultural work to allow us to apply for a second year visa, is there a time limit to use this one?

I.e do one year, come back to England for a year or two whilst saving, then go back to Australia for year two.