Places where I can sleep in a van

Marion

• 1 month later...
Do you know where I could find a list by Region of places where I can sleep in a van for free ?

On the side of the road anywhere really. You may get into trouble by a farmer for parking on private land, but the chances of getting caught are minimal - some of those farms are massive and would take weeks for the farmer to do his rounds.

Make sure you are parked away from the road. For example, if in the NT those roadtrains are pretty terrifying as they speed pass or overtake, and you want to be well away from them.

Some tourist attractions you can sleep at. We slept in a van in the carpark of the Devils Marbles for a few nights. Only people there - bit spooky. Slept in a van all around Queensland and Northern Territory. Had a portable bush shower that we heated up on top of the car all day and then showered at night. Made a bush camp fire every night and cooked our food. Did a lot of fishing and lived on fish and homemade damper. And baked bean jaffles. Once a week for one night would book into a caravan park for a proper shower and to do our washing.

Can be dangerous of course. One night had to deal with drunken aboriginals trying to break into van, another night had a Wolf Creek type weirdo hanging around. But for the most part it was good and fun. Saved a fortune too as caravan parks can be really expensive, especially during high season.

There are free sites in NT at least as we camped in a few and great value in economy and company. I can't recall QLD if they had official free sites but we tended to camp near service stations although not at all welcoming.

Remote places the safety aspect certainly plays a role. I would be hesitant to do so alone or only with a partner. Some very anti social folk in some remote places and can fully find accord with the above poster.

There are free sites in NT at least as we camped in a few and great value in economy and company. I can't recall QLD if they had official free sites but we tended to camp near service stations although not at all welcoming.

Remote places the safety aspect certainly plays a role. I would be hesitant to do so alone or only with a partner. Some very anti social folk in some remote places and can fully find accord with the above poster.

Been doing that guff for over 40 years and never once had any bad experiences...A few king browns in the camp, a couple of scorpions, that's about all. Bloke in the next camp to mine had a 12 ft saltie wander into his camp...Had the same saltie only 75 metres from my camp. And got a photo of the chappie...next morning.

And far more very anti social folk in built up areas...:wink:

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest The Pom Queen

The site Cal has linked to also do a book. We have numerous places up in FNQ you can camp free, some councils also provide toilets and showers.