the nullarbor desert

Marion

We did it once but it isn't something I would recommend unless you are used to driving long distances across landscape that, although beautiful in its own way, can be very monotonous. Also don't drive at night - there are too many kangaroos etc on the road.

If you do decide to do it try to time it so you go between June and September so you get to see the Southern Right Whales off the head of the Great Australian Bight where they breed. You need to pay to cross indigenous owned land to get there but I think it's only about $10/$15 and it is an experience not to be missed if you like whales.

Bunda Cliffs is also worth a visit for truly breathtaking views along the coast but don't go too close to the edge. The winds are really strong and there won't be anyone around to rescue you if you get blown over the edge.

If you google crossing the Nullabor you will find info on where to get fuel, accommodation etc as well as other things to see along the way.

Don't get out for a wee because you'll be eaten alive by every flying insect alive!

It's a long drive, don't pass a servo, pull in at every single one and fill up. If memory serves me correctly there were 5. Take plenty of water in case you break down and something to cover the windows.

Don't get out for a wee because you'll be eaten alive by every flying insect alive!

It's a long drive, don't pass a servo, pull in at every single one and fill up. If memory serves me correctly there were 5. Take plenty of water in case you break down and something to cover the windows.

That is probably the best bit of advice, fill up even if you don't think you need to.

Thank you for your replies !

I would like to do a road trip in a van dedicated to photography. I would like to work on the infinite desert, on the fragility of the human being in relation to this wild but majestic landscape.

@Freckleface There any security measures to take when you decide to cross it ?

@VERYSTORMY What is the most interesting desert for you ? And Why the Nullarbor is least interesting ?

I would like to do a road trip in a van dedicated to photography. I would like to work on the infinite desert, on the fragility of the human being in relation to this wild but majestic landscape.

@VERYSTORMY What is the most interesting desert for you ? And Why the Nullarbor is least interesting ?

This link has some good general tips for driving in the outback which would also apply to the trip you are planning.

http://www.australiasgoldenoutback.com/travel-destinations-outback-australia/Kalgoorlie_and_Goldfields/Northern_Goldfields/Outback_road_safety_tips

Might I suggest that you drive north from Perth, go on the inland route to Port Hedland. Move on to the Northern Territory to The Katherine, head south, through The Alice to Port Augusta and then cross the Nullabor. That way you will experience the worst and the best of austalia's 'tourist' desert.

Another...70 km north of The Alice, do a left hand down a bit onto the Plenty Hwy to Tobermoray then on the Donahue Hwy to Boulia and up to The Isa. Then back to ThreeWays NT.

The Nullabor, as 'stormy says, is the least interesting. It is flat and, as its name says, treeless.

BTW, done the Nullabor about 13 times, 3 times when it was 1000 miles of dirt.

Cheers, Bobj.

Edited by Bobj
Adding

Pretty much agree with Bob.

The great Sandy and the Simpson are better. The Fraser Ranges in winter can be interesting as it goes from hot dry during the day, but at dawn, it is common to have freezing fogs that give an eerie look.

The area around Wiluna is also very interesting. There isnt much in the town itself, though it does have a camping ground and a pub. However, it has several of the most important wildlife reserves in Oz. It is home of the rabbit proof fence and the site of the last un-contacted aboriginal people to make contact - they walked into Wiluna. From there, the drive to Kalgoorlie is not that far and through which you will pass through a few tiny towns and past Lake Ballard which is a dry salt lake with over 50 sculptures set in it by the famous sculpture Antony Gormley.

You can then visit Kalgoorlie which is worth a weekend. Or, go the otherway - drive from Perth to Kal takes about 8 hours. Then stay in Kal for a couple of nights and meander up to Wiluna.

Pretty much agree with Bob.

The great Sandy and the Simpson are better. The Fraser Ranges in winter can be interesting as it goes from hot dry during the day, but at dawn, it is common to have freezing fogs that give an eerie look.

The area around Wiluna is also very interesting. There isnt much in the town itself, though it does have a camping ground and a pub. However, it has several of the most important wildlife reserves in Oz. It is home of the rabbit proof fence and the site of the last un-contacted aboriginal people to make contact - they walked into Wiluna. From there, the drive to Kalgoorlie is not that far and through which you will pass through a few tiny towns and past Lake Ballard which is a dry salt lake with over 50 sculptures set in it by the famous sculpture Antony Gormley.

Also, the very interesting story of Warri. It was quite a big news item in WA.

http://www.megalongcc.com.au/Cox&Co/last_nomad.htm

Cheers, Bobj.

Might I suggest that you drive north from Perth, go on the inland route to Port Hedland. Move on to the Northern Territory to The Katherine, head south, through The Alice to Port Augusta and then cross the Nullabor. That way you will experience the worst and the best of austalia's 'tourist' desert.

Another...70 km north of The Alice, do a left hand down a bit onto the Plenty Hwy to Tobermoray then on the Donahue Hwy to Boulia and up to The Isa. Then back to ThreeWays NT.

The Nullabor, as 'stormy says, is the least interesting. It is flat and, as its name says, treeless.

BTW, done the Nullabor about 13 times, 3 times when it was 1000 miles of dirt.

Cheers, Bobj.

Treeless? That's a lie. After a roo went through our roobar and radiator, we spent ten hours playing hide and seek behind the tree.