Spur of the moment decision / looking for advice

ChrisArbuckle

So had a totally spur of the moment decision and decided I'm heading to Oz. My cousins currently in bundaberg. Working on a farm and living in a hostel. Says the money's good but the work is a bit exhausting but that's to be expected.

I Have 1001 questions so if anyone can help with any them that would be great !

Going to apply for my WHV tomoz. Heard some people say it takes up to a month to come through n others have told me its a matter of hours. What's a more likely time scale. ?

also my passport is due to expire in feb 16. I thought this was a bit dodgy as I intend staying there for the 2 years at least and that would maybe be a hassle trying to get a new one over there so would I be better just ordering a new one today. (Says on website takes 3 weeks for new one and im intending going 12th may so should be fine !) also would this effect my visa if I applied tomorrow but then got new passport issued ?

accorodng to my cousin there's plenty work and beds available in bundaberg. Our intentions are doing the required 3 months on the farms then travelling up the coast eventually stopping at cairns to try that out for a bit ! Anyone any advice on that. Dos and donts ? Think the plan is just buying an old van and doing it that style !

My next question is for the more savvy people with regards to sponsorships. I fully intend on staying as long as I can. Hopefully forever. I have two recognised skills from the lists on the website but I don't know if my experience is enough. I completed a gas engineer apprenticeship. Which I always worked under an engineer. At the end of it I got my svq in domestic has engineering maintenance installs and repairs. I have more recently finished my cadetship within the merchant navy. I have not did my final exam to become an officer of the watch as I decided it wasn't what I wanted to do anymore but I have finished the academic side of it and have my Hnc in marine engineering. Are these qualifications enough to get me sponsored ? Even with a view of retraining or working as something else ?

also how are the scots generally accepted out here ? A lot these posts seem from English people. Seems as with wverything in life were of the minority again. My cousins who's there just now is Welsh though and my friend I'm travelling with is English so we will be a diverse group !

Chris !

So had a totally spur of the moment decision and decided I'm heading to Oz. My cousins currently in bundaberg. Working on a farm and living in a hostel. Says the money's good but the work is a bit exhausting but that's to be expected.

I Have 1001 questions so if anyone can help with any them that would be great !

Going to apply for my WHV tomoz. Heard some people say it takes up to a month to come through n others have told me its a matter of hours. What's a more likely time scale. ?

also my passport is due to expire in feb 16. I thought this was a bit dodgy as I intend staying there for the 2 years at least and that would maybe be a hassle trying to get a new one over there so would I be better just ordering a new one today. (Says on website takes 3 weeks for new one and im intending going 12th may so should be fine !) also would this effect my visa if I applied tomorrow but then got new passport issued ?

accorodng to my cousin there's plenty work and beds available in bundaberg. Our intentions are doing the required 3 months on the farms then travelling up the coast eventually stopping at cairns to try that out for a bit ! Anyone any advice on that. Dos and donts ? Think the plan is just buying an old van and doing it that style !

Chris !

Do it!

Don't delay!

Central to north Qld is perfect, weatherwise.

I wish you well, mate.

Cheers, Bobj.

Regarding staying on, it is very hard to comment based on what you have said. But qualifications generally are very unlikely to be sufficient to get sponsorship, it is work experience that will be more relevant. So consider what work experience you have and then go to http://www.immi.gov.au and look at the CSOL (put it in the search function on the site) and see whether your occupation is on there.

Regarding being a Scot, I don't think anyone will be interestd either way. Australia is well used to people from different nationalities and heritages.