General questions.

Michael LeVay

Hey.

Just got a few questions as I'm thinking of heading out to Australia on a WHV sometime next year, I know next year is a long time away but I want to make sure I have enough ££ to take. This is something I'd been looking to do for quite some time but never really got round to it. And now finally decided that it's time to do it. My brother and I are thinking of sometime around April, May next year. (Anyone here planning on going around that time?) So, onto my questions that I have.

- What is a reasonable amount of money to take out there? Thinking of around $10,000 excluding flights and 1st week getting settled in.

- Where would be an ideal place to start? I plan on working as soon as possible when I get there?

- How hard will it be to find a hostel or place to stay when I'm there?

- What sort of things would be seen as a necessity to bring with me? Not including things I can buy when I get there.

- What do people generally think of it out there?

- Is my maximum stay 2 years?

- How do people act to English people traveling there?

If anyone can answer just a few of these questions, it would be a great help. Would also like to speak with a few people that have been and come back/still out there. Or just thinking of going out there soon.

Thanks in advance :wink:

Hiya Michael.

You'll have double the legal amount needed so i'm sure you'll be fine. It shouldn't be difficult to get a hostel, the only times I've heard are christmas/new year in Sydney etc. you are allowed one year first of all and within that one year you need to do 3 months approved regional work to get your second year visa.

Generally speaking, most travellers I've met either started in Sydney or Brisbane and worked their way up/down the east coast ending in Cairns. Again all this is my opinion and a massive generalisation but all the Aussies I've met have been amazing, generous and friendly! They love a good English person! As long as you can take a few jokes about the place then you're golden

with the work thing it's really just a case of how lucky you are. For example, my and my other half came to Brisbane, both as Baristas, I got a job within 2 days but 5 weeks later my partner still hasn't found anything. Good luck to you though, coming here will be the best decision you will ever make!

Thanks for the reply both. :) Living in Leicester there are always jokes about the place I live, so I'm sure it wont be much different :P. I'm pretty open to doing any sort of work so I hope that will play an advantage for me. It's nice that people think it's the best decision they've made, makes me want to do it even more and sooner. How much did you take with you to start up with Racheyleigh? And how much are you planning to take Stacey?

Your most likely to get work as bar/waiter, call centre/admin , maybe Construction. You need to get tickets for these sorts of things.

Well my visa expires in September because I stupidly applied early thinking everything would go to plan but it hasn't. If I go then I'll be with £2.5k - maybe 3k. If not then I'll be waiting till I've got a lot more than that because I want to make the most of it without being scared I'll have to go home

Could be better to spend another £270 for another visa if it means you can save up more and be much more comfortable when you get there eh.... Still though, 3k is still around 5.5k over there at current exchange rates right? Wouldn't that be enough to get started? Do you plan on working when you get there?

Thanks for the reply both. :) Living in Leicester there are always jokes about the place I live, so I'm sure it wont be much different :P. I'm pretty open to doing any sort of work so I hope that will play an advantage for me. It's nice that people think it's the best decision they've made, makes me want to do it even more and sooner. How much did you take with you to start up with Racheyleigh? And how much are you planning to take Stacey?

Sorry to hijack the thread but if you applied and were granted a WHV but never used it, it's not an issue to reapply for another? :) My friend was literally just talking to me about her sister and her husband who had applied. She was granted one and his was refused so she won't be using hers.

I actually came with $17000 but bought a campervan for $14000 so only left me with $3000 although i am travelling with my other half so cost of campsites etc are split, but I've found that enough money for me for about 8 weeks until I found a job. I'm not a massive drinker though and the prices are pretty high for that in Aus so save your cash and buy a 6 pack to drink at home!

It's good advice to have a qualification, rather than end up fruit picking or similar. Bar tender, barista. Australia is really a coffee culture now. One reason that Starbucks does less well here than in comparable countries. There are roasting houses everywhere in the cities. Many offer barista courses. Have several friends who have paid four thousand dollars or more for their coffee machines at home. And what"s wrong with Leicester? Will be there soon to have a peek at Richard III.

Any times to suggest coming over and where to visit at certain times of year?

Australia has 6 distinct climate zones but, more generally, northern Australia is either hot and wet (summer) or hot and dry ("winter") while the further south you go the more differentiation there is between a cold winter and a warm or hot summer. It would be best to visit northern Australia between May and October, the southern states November to April.

But of course that may depend on where you find work eg. if you found work in the NSW or Victorian ski fields June - September.

The summer holiday period is from Christmas until the end of January - that is when you will have the most competition for holiday accommodation.

And what"s wrong with Leicester? Will be there soon to have a peek at Richard III.

Ha. Nothing is wrong with Leicester, just living in Leicester and working in Coventry, I never hear the end of it.

Thanks for the advice all. Wish I could make this move sooner, but would rather have enough money to be comfortable while looking for work there rather than jump in and struggle in the first couple of months...