Funds

Guest51810

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For what exactly, working holiday or permanent migration?

Sorry, I should read.

I went with £800, but I couldn't afford to ever do anything of the expensive fun stuff

Edited by Azh

Errrm, not really. I went to Australia very naive. I did pretty much 0 research and I didn't know anyone who had been before. It was kind of a weird situation, I wasn't too fussed about going but I agreed to go with a friend as I had nothing better to do. He left to go back home after 2 weeks of arriving in Oz and I stayed for the full 2 years.

Well it sounds like it worked out well for you if you stayed 2 years. I'll have a maximum of £5k saved up and that's to include everything. My family will try give me a little bit too. Otherwise I'll have to let my visa expire and wait till I've hot nearer 10k. I'm not sure what to do. I have to see what happens with a family problem too but it's mostly the money that's stressing me.

That should be fine! I'm also very worried about the financial side of it - hence the cash for my car! - but I keep telling myself you'll be able to get work so don't panic!

I have friends that have been recently with hardly any money no planning whatsoever - just got on a plane, and they've been absolutely fine!

Maybe we are worrying for nothing?!

I think it's a bit more expensive now but you should be fine with 5k that's a dream amount! If your willing to do abit of work you will breeze through it.

I did ok, but I did a lot of work and not much holiday. I delivered the yellow pages, picked strawberrys, peppers, courgettes, grapes, watermelons, built office chairs, worked in Thredbo on the lifts, folded up paper for architects. I pretty much did it all just to get by.

Also cleaning hostels for free accommodation is something I would recommend if your planning to stay somewhere for more than 2-3 weeks. 2 hours of pretty easy work.

We probably are lol. I worry I end up with no money or job then need to go home but I just want to go asap because I've already put it off for so long that it feels like I'll actually end up never going. I think you'll definitely be fine with your amount of money :)

Yeah the work for accommodation scheme was something I'm interested in. I've had a helpx membership for years and I updated my profile today. There's some really cool places on it - animal parks etc. I don't think I'm going to stay 2 years but I wouldn't mind doing the work just incase I change my mind

Azh- thanks! I hope so! I'll definitely be doing some work but would like to travel as much as possible for obvious reasons!

stacey - that's my exact fear also! I was starting to think I was the only one who worried about that! People look at me like I'm mad when I say it haha! I hope so. Your amount will also be enough! You'll work as well so you'll still earn to fund your travels :)

I think most people probably feel like that lol. It's quite a big move! Then reading posts about unemployment etc doesn't help. My family want me to wait till I've got more money but my mum admitted today a selfish part of her wanted me to be here another Christmas so I don't think it's just about the funds! Yeah just have to try find any job asap!

Yeah I can be quite a negative person so it's something I've been trying to work on. I'm trying to think that if I don't make it for September then it only means I'll make it in spring with even more money. Would be amazing if I did get to go this year. I'm planning on doing as many hours as possible at work here, like 50 or 60 hours week. When is it you're going?

Woah that's alot! Hope you are taking plenty of time resting in between?!

im very similar but I keep trying to tell myself that if I don't go I'll never go! It can only be good for me - same for everyone I suppose! Yes definitely, you know that way you're going no matter what! I'm planning to go in October this year :) on my tod too!

So far I've got 35 hours and 3 sleepovers some weeks so I'm going to see if I can get that every week and increase it sometimes. Probably won't get 60 but should manage 50. I'll be on my tod too, none of my friends are into this sort of stuff. 2 are getting married this year and next. Where are you landing?

I have two friends which have either been, come back & planning on going back or already back out there the rest are having babies, settling down etc. Without sounding negative I couldn't think of anything worse right now! I want to see the world first.

Thats quite a lot! Good luck I hope you can sort it - you'll be fine with that amount of money though so don't worry too much. Tbh I have NO idea yet. I'm leaning towards Sydney tbh but I haven't set that in stone - have you decided yet?

I kinda done everything the wrong way around. I got serious early then had a quarter life crisis and wanted to run away and travel lol. Just haven't been able to afford it till now. I don't want babies or marriage yet either!

Sydney sounds good. I originally thought perth first then head to Sydney for Christmas and new year but I dunno if I could afford that. So I'm not sure now.