Working Holiday... Lot's of questions

Hi!

I am very very keen to go to Aus (Sydney) on a WHV, I want to live and work as close to the Australian lifestyle as possible.

I would like to know...

1. How easy is it to get a job - I am fully qualified in Admin

2. How easy is it to find accommodation? Shared house preferably

3. Does anyone know of any good sites for finding jobs prior to leaving?

Thank you :)

Hi and welcome to the forum.

There are plenty of jobs available in Sydney for admin staff and I would register with several agencies – most of the big agencies that are in the UK are also in Oz such as Hays.

Do, remember, that you are much more likely to be looking for temporary work, rather than permanent work as you can only work for one employer for a maximum of 6 months.

There are lots of adverts on sites such as Gum Tree. I would recommend you consider a back packers hostel for the first week or so. It can also be a good way to meet new friends and people who may also be looking for a shared house.

The main job site is seek.com.au, however, I would not really bother trying to find work before you arrive. Even proffessionals and trades people with permanent visas migrating to Oz can rarely find a job before they arrive.

Hi!

I am very very keen to go to Aus (Sydney) on a WHV, I want to live and work as close to the Australian lifestyle as possible.

I would like to know...

1. How easy is it to get a job - I am fully qualified in Admin

2. How easy is it to find accommodation? Shared house preferably

3. Does anyone know of any good sites for finding jobs prior to leaving?

As others have said - there is no chance of getting a job before you leave. No employer or agency is going to take that trouble to hire a temp! Same with sharing - book into a backpackers first (if you can afford it, look for one with smaller shared rooms, not a big dormitory, just in case you get stuck there for longer than you expect).

Bring your resume, dress smartly and go and visit the temp agencies (i.e. don't just send them your resume). They do get lots of backpackers and so many of them don't bring decent work clothes - if they see you can present like a "proper" office worker then there's a much better chance they'll remember you when a job comes in.

Hi Claire,

i'm looking for Admin work as well & from what I've heard is what the other guys have said - wait until you get out there & remember some smart clothes! Just got to be quick & stand out ;)

I've found a good site called flat mates.au which offers rooms etc in house shares :)

when are you looking to go?

good luck!

You might be able to get work in a bar, if you have some experience, and you get your RSA (Responsible Service of Alcohol) soon after you get here. There always seem to be WHV people working in the pubs around where I live. Join the YHA before you leave, not that it is important to stay in a YHA hostel as there are plenty of good private ones too. I noticed there is a strip of hostels in Pitt St just north of Central Station,together with travel agents and other services. Around Central itself is another place for hostels, and Kings Cross, Bondi Beach. Bounce Hostel near Central on Chalmers St, seems to have a good name. Book up for a couple of weeks before you arrive, then see what happens. Have a look on http://www.seek.com.au to see what kind of jobs are available.

Hi Claire,

i'm looking for Admin work as well & from what I've heard is what the other guys have said - wait until you get out there & remember some smart clothes! Just got to be quick & stand out ;)

I've found a good site called flat mates.au which offers rooms etc in house shares :)

when are you looking to go?

good luck!

Thank you for all the replies everyone! Really appreciate the advice.

Are you out there now or hoping to go soon? I am hoping to go as soon as I have the money. There is so much to take in that I might go for a month or 2 with STA Travel and travel around Australia and then when I get back save for my Visa and to move for the year. It's very exciting!

Yes that's right. I want to travel and then go back out to work

I'd say just go for your WHV, start with a bit of travel and then intersperse work and travel through the year. You can't work more than six months for one employer anyway so you will have breaks. Why waste a few thousand dollars on a holiday beforehand? Just go for it!

Good points! I'm actually thinking of travelling first then coming back and doing some training before going on a WHV... I am just so desperate to go and see Australia. I have wanted to do it so long I don't want to wait another year! Impatient...

Does anyone know of any other way's to stay long term in Aus without having a Skill? I won't be able to apply for a 2nd working holiday due to not doing Specified work!

Edited by clairerowlands7

Good points! I'm actually thinking of travelling first then coming back and doing some training before going on a WHV... I am just so desperate to go and see Australia. I have wanted to do it so long I don't want to wait another year! Impatient...

What's the training for? There's no point doing any training in preparation for coming to Oz, so couldn't it wait?

What's the training for? There's no point doing any training in preparation for coming to Oz, so couldn't it wait?

Ive been accepted onto a Uni course... It will lead to the possibility of a long term visa in the future.

Thank you for all the replies everyone! Really appreciate the advice.

Are you out there now or hoping to go soon? I am hoping to go as soon as I have the money. There is so much to take in that I might go for a month or 2 with STA Travel and travel around Australia and then when I get back save for my Visa and to move for the year. It's very exciting!

Hey claire! I'm planning to go in October this year for travelling & working! I would definitely recommend doing it all in one trip! That way you an see everything :) when are you thinking of going? I know I'm really looking forward to it!

Does anyone know of any other way's to stay long term in Aus without having a Skill? I won't be able to apply for a 2nd working holiday due to not doing Specified work!

will you not be doing specified work due to your uni course?

Specified work is the sure-fire way to guarantee 2nd year if you ensure you have all the paperwork :)

Hey claire! I'm planning to go in October this year for travelling & working! I would definitely recommend doing it all in one trip! That way you an see everything :) when are you thinking of going? I know I'm really looking forward to it!

Oh wow, only 6 months for you... So exciting! What kind of work are you looking at getting? It depends which route I decide to go down... If I do just travelling it will be within the next month or if I decide to do a full 12 month WHV it won't be until next January time I would think... I want to get as much money behind me as possible.

will you not be doing specified work due to your uni course?

Specified work is the sure-fire way to guarantee 2nd year if you ensure you have all the paperwork :)

No, from what I can see specified is only horticultural/farming work... I am admin/Accounting based...

No, from what I can see specified is only horticultural/farming work... I am admin/Accounting based...

How do you plan on getting your 2nd year then? As far as I am aware - I may be wrong! - you are required to specified work to be granted the second year.

Ive been an Office Manager/HR Administrator for the last 3 years so will be looking for this type of work but I also have a background with horses so I'll look for stud farm work which will qualify me for my second year.