Things to see and do

BrandonLyle

My backpack arrived today! And with only 3 weeks until I fly out, it is suddenly starting to feel very real!:tongue:

I already have a pretty good idea of where I want to be and when in my year around OZ.

What I wanted, is to ask the knowledgeable people of PIO some advice! :smile:

I am after recommendations.

Recommendations of places to visit, things to do, locations to see!

Things that I absolutely should experience that might not be on the average backpackers radar!

You know what I am talking about...

That restaurant tucked away outside the city, that beautiful park by the river or that small college football (Aussie rules) team that just begs to have an audience.

I want to experience the side of Australia that most backpackers don't, the side normally reserved for the locals.

I am going to be starting in Perth and working my way along the south coast towards Melbourne and then the East coast all the way up to Cairns.

Anything you can recommend along the way would be massively appreciated.

Here's to hoping I am lucky enough to meeting some of you on my travels!

Brandon

• 3 weeks later...

There is no 'right' or 'wrong' way to 'do' a country. Some people are 'sniffy' about seeing themselves as 'travellers' as opposed to 'tourists' or, God forbid, 'trippers!' If you are backpacking, then you will be staying in hostels, and, hopefully, making friends there, travelling companions. The only 'downside' to that is that you might spend you time in OZ mostly hanging around with other backpackers. Not that that matters. Don't turn your nose up at the big tourist attractions - Bondi Beach, Sydney Opera House, Sydney Harbour Bridge, for instance. You could do something I've never done in 30 years in Sydney, and go to see an 'actual' opera at the Sydney Opera House! If you want to live at Bondi, go for it. You will meet just as many 'real' Aussies there as anywhere else in Australia.

If you want some more 'real' experiences, well, take the train out to the suburbs, where few tourists would think of going. Find yourself a pub and a cafe and make an attempt to become a 'local' and talk to people, introduce yourself. There's nowhere that is 'reserved for the locals!' I guess it is easy enough to find a football field somewhere and watch a game in whatever code you fancy - Aussie Rules, soccer, rugby league, rugby union, or for that matter, netball.

Actually, if you want to be a bit different to backpackers, take the inland route up to Cairns, rather than up the coast.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions!

Not for one second am I concerned about being a 'backpacker' nor do I think that the traditional 'Touristy' things to do are beneath me I just wanted to try and experience 'Life in Oz' if you will.

Your suggestion about going inland to suburbs and seeing the local cafe's, restaurants ect sounds exactly like the kind of thing I expect to be doing and am very much looking forward to.

I only have 4 days before I fly out now so I can soon start putting these ideas to fruition.

Thanks again.

Brandon

A few ideas i can give you would be -

Go hinterland when on the Gold Coast rather than spend all your time in the coast's tourist hubs, places like O'reillys at Canungra will give you breathtaking views and they have a nice little cafe with decent food. Mt Tamborine is another Rainforest area worth visiting, cedar creek falls also worth looking at and there is Springbrook Mountain too.

Tangalooma Island is a must do when around the Brisbane area, be it a tourist or a local, Tangalooma has that 'draw'.

When around the Sunshine coast Carlo Sandblow is worth a visit.

Hope these help, no doubt i will think of more places you won't necessarily find in a 'backpacker to visit' guide.

Cal x

We went backpacking, and went up and down the east coast - but got to Byron Bay and stayed for 3 weeks. Then we went up Queensland and was less into it up there, and realised we loved Byron and went back for another month. So I would recommend Byron Bay! It was nice. Not that cheap, but there was no McDonalds and all that crap - so it felt good to be there. Plenty going on. #nicevibes

(nb - this is all subjective of course, but that's what floated our boats at the time)

Blue Mountains also good. Whitewater rafting in Bellingen. Day trip to Nimbin (don't ask eh eh). It's a big place. We just only stayed a night or 2 max if we weren't keen. I was less keen on following all the others backpackers about, and was into drifting about in the free spirit style. We only had 9 weeks, so had to get on with the chilling/fun vibes.

PS - This was 15 years ago mind you. But those things are still there I think...

Edited by Captain Roberto

You are on holiday, why would you want to live like a local! :wub:Locals go to work, come home, do chores, never quite get round to exploring what is in the immediate vicinity as day to day live takes over. Don't get hung up on living like a local, enjoy your holiday and just go and see the good spots and remember if something is considered touristy, it is probably because it is worth a look!

Australia's coastline is gorgeous and has to be done, but go inland as well, not just around the edges, visit an outback town. I always wanted to get to Birdsville but never made it.

It's sometimes good to vary the kind of places you stay. Some hostels can be a bit samey and dingey. So worth looking at some variety. we stayed in this 'hippie' place - http://nomadsworld.com/hostels/australia/byron-bay/arts-factory-lodge

It was half full of pretentious types juggling and all that crap, but it was a good laugh. V easygoing, surrounded by bush. 5 / 10 minute walk into Byron. Spent Xmas day there and Millennium NYD day there (after partying all night in Byron). Some people chip in for a cheap camper van which they resell, and other such 'adventure' orientated things. Just to make it a richer experience.

Edited by Captain Roberto

I've not been to Byron for a long time. Must put. that right soon. Last time I was up that way I wanted to go to Nimbin and bypassed Byron. Anyway it reminded me to mention Mt Warning which I climbed a long time ago.

Hotels ie pubs can make a good alternative to hostels especially in the Bush. Tho some pubs have been converted to hostels? Sawtell? (Place I like) Yamba,,Eden. Nice if you get a room that opens out onto the balcony. Had ones like that in Goondiwindi and St George.

If you are in Sydney come to Strawberry Hills pub on a Wed night for the trivia!

Spend a night camping at the Perth Hills National Park (if you can time if for when the outdoor cinema is on even better), it may sound touristy but absolutely isn't - the camp site only has about 12 pitches and who we went there was only 3 occupied - amazing wildlife and good shower/kitchen facilities.South Fremantle farmers market on Sunday mornings Go see a film at one of the many original 1930's cinemas in Perth - there is one in the Picadilly Arcade in the centre 4x4 driving at the Lancelin dunesLook out for WAFL games (semi - pro AFL) Go and see Perth Glory for a totally different football (soccer) experience There are loads of free events that are attended as much by residents as locals so just find out what's on whilst you are there and join in.

Best advice I can think of is to think of Aus like the USA. For example, you wouldn't rock up in the USA expecting;

- Every single person to be nice / cool / friendly

- No grimy areas with crime in massive amounts

- High cost of living

Alot of people (and I mean, a shed load) actually believe the tripe that comes out of channel 4 and genuinely expect a paradise over here.....

A presumption, of course, but get it out of your head that you are heading to the promised land and you will have a blast!!!!!