How long will $10,000 AUS last me on a WHV

Tom30

Hi everyone,

Im heading to Brisbane on a WHV May 5th. There's a good chance I will lose my job a month before I go, any hope I should have $10,000 AUS saved. I wont be going crazy buying adventure packages and I'll be staying in hostels and eating cheap or cooking my own food. I will look for a job inside the 1st 2 weeks I would think.

So my main question how long could I last with $10k, personally I'm thinking 3 months but I don't know the true cost of food ect.

Thanks

Tom

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Tom, it's like saying how long is a piece of string. Everyone is different, I have seen a family of 6 arrive with less than that and manage until they got a job. It wasn't easy but they managed it.

It would also depend on what state you were heading to and what job you wanted.

Also if you thing things are going to be tight you could opt to do woofing or helpx where they provide food and accommodation for free in return for you doing a few hours work. Some hostels also have this option. So basically with the three options above you could stay in Aus for 2 years and hardly spend a penny. Although to be honest if you are coming out here you are going to want to explore and party but how much you will spend on that only you knows.

I would be happy with any job, I would like to avoid cold calling as I dont agree with it. I thinking of doing woofing and helpx anyway as I think it would be cool experience. I will be partying I guess, how much is beer or vodka ect in bars and nightclubs in australia. I'm sure you know but in a supermarket in England you can get 4 bottles for £5 or a 70cl smirnoff for £15.

Thanks

Tom

My son came over last year with $4000 and stayed with us for around 2 months then went working on a farm for 3 months in order to qualify for a second whv, after which he did all the usual things visiting all the major city's he did all touristy stuff including the barrier reef, he managed to pay for six internal flights and also flew on to Cambodia and Malaysia before flying home with just $200 left but the best memorys and the chance to do it all again when he finishes uni.

$10000 is more than enough if your planning to work as well.

• 3 weeks later...