WHV from Canada: Taxes on jobs?

sonrivera

Hi, I'm from Canada and I'm on a WHV here in Sydney, Australia. I found a job at a legit restaurant, one on Argyle street in The Rocks, and have just recently received my first paycheque. When I do the calculations, it seems I am being taxed about 30%. Is this correct/normal? It seems a little high to me. If it is correct, will I be able to claim taxes at the end of the fiscal year? I know that I am entitled to claim taxes if I don't earn more than $18,000 in the fiscal year, which I know I won't. If anyone has any answers, please let me know. Thanks

Jason

That tax is correct (I think - ATO site is down at present so that's off the top of my head) if you're not a Resident for tax purposes. Here's a link to help you work out your residency status, but basically, you need to stay in one location (not one job though) for 6+ months. If you're travelling the country, you will be a foreign resident.:

http://calculators.ato.gov.au/scripts/axos/axos.asp?CONTEXT=&KBS=Resident.XR4&go=ok

If you end up as a RFTP for the period of this employment, you will get a refund of the overpaid tax. No refund if you're a foreign resident.