Did any of you go to Australia without knowing how to drive?

roro1990

Just curious on how important this is. I only started to think of it recently, but with Australia being such a large country, will I be missing out on a lot by not knowing how to drive? I plan on going to Sydney first and probably won't need a car then but for travelling around later on i'm worried not having one will ruin it a bit. Did anyone here go over on a working holiday not knowing how to drive? How did it go?

It won't be a problem at all! I did have a licence but didn't need to drive for any of my backpacking. You will more than likely meet people who have hired a car anyway or can hire one together if you did want to go off the beaten track but with all the hop on / off bus tickets and trains you don't need to drive yourself.

Hi,

I don't know how to drive either and I'm going on a WHV in May I don't think it will be much of a problem my mate who I'm going with can drive anyway if needs be.

Tom

Sorry, I should've been more specific - i'm going solo so I won't have that cushion of having a mate who does drive with me!

It won't be a problem at all! I did have a licence but didn't need to drive for any of my backpacking. You will more than likely meet people who have hired a car anyway or can hire one together if you did want to go off the beaten track but with all the hop on / off bus tickets and trains you don't need to drive yourself.

cheers for your reply, did you go over there on your own though or could you rely on being with people who drove anyway?

cheers for your reply, did you go over there on your own though or could you rely on being with people who drove anyway?

I did have friends who were already out there but honestly it is virtually impossible not to meet people while backpacking. There will be other solo travellers and groups who will be happy to take you along. It's the nature of backpacking - almost everyone is friendly! Don't worry And if not the buses, tours, trains, planes & boats will take you anywhere you want to go!

Edited by Bound4Tassie

Just curious on how important this is. I only started to think of it recently, but with Australia being such a large country, will I be missing out on a lot by not knowing how to drive? I plan on going to Sydney first and probably won't need a car then but for travelling around later on i'm worried not having one will ruin it a bit. Did anyone here go over on a working holiday not knowing how to drive? How did it go?

If you're going on a working holiday visa, then no, you don't need to be able to drive. In the cities you should be choosing central hostels to live in (in all Australian cities, the suburbs can be really boring and not the place you want to be!). You'll be able to see all the big sights by taking day trips and tours.