Croft11

Hi all, WHV granted and one way flight booked :wink::wink::wink:, ill be landing in Cairns on the 24th of May which is my first place ill be visiting in Aus, being 21 and a solo backpacker just wanted

peoples recommendations on the best hostels to stay at in Cairns with a good crowd of people to meet? also what to do in Cairns ?!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest The Pom Queen

Tough one as it depends what you want and if you are male or female. Gilligans is the party place they have a nightclub and there is lots of partying in the dorms. So if you like to be thrown in at the deep end and love partying non stop then yes head there. Another two to look at are the Northern Greenhouse or the YHA. There are also two in the front as well. What I recommend doing is booking for a couple of nights first to see how you go but remember people come and go all the time in the dorms so you may end up with a lovely group or you may end up with some idiots.

I stayed at Tropic Days when I was there - it's owned by the same couple that run Traveller's Oasis (and set up in much the same way). This was last year but it's still one of my most favourite hostels out of all the ones I've stayed at. It helped that I was jetlagged and it was quiet!

They aren't party hostels but everyone I met there were nice and friendly. At least at my room in Tropic Days, the rooms were set up like little flats with a proper kitchen and living room area shared by 3 bedrooms (about 12 people). In my room, there were 4 beds (1 bunk and 2 single beds - though the bunk top/bottom was separate so shaking of the bed). A few of us went to Gilligan's for a night out but were extremely happy to return back to the quiet room for sleep.

Tropic Days was a fair bit out. Not too far but the humidity made the walk a bit tough (but they had a frequent shuttle).

Traveller's Oasis is in a good location since it's next to the big shopping centre and cuts about 10min walk out from going from Tropic Days to Town.

Gilligan's is slap bang in the action. I've met people that loved it but it's not my cup of tea because I prefer the smaller, quieter hostels.

You can always pick one to start and then move after a few days if you find it's not to your liking.

As for stuff to do in Cairns: Scuba diving on the reef, Atherton Tablelands, Daintree Rainforest.

I found that Cairns was a gateway to places more than anything else. Although I loved the hostel and ended up staying in Cairns for 2 weeks rather than my planned 4 days.

• 1 month later...
Gilligan's was by far the best hostel when I was there. Was back in 2006 though. Had a nightclub/bar next to it, pool, good facilities etc. defo recommend it

I honestly thought it was the second worst I have ever stayed at anywhere in the world. I have stayed in some proper dives as well the first was on grey street in Melbourne.

Gilligans was very nice and new but lacking in atmosphere too big to really meet new people etc. I would advise going to the club at night but not to stay there. Plus the first night the bus got in late and they sold my room and wouldn't refund me my money.

• 3 weeks later...