Backpacker Setup Companies

dhumph

Hi,

I was just wondering whether anyone had used a backpacker setup company before coming to Australia for things like bank accounts/TFN/accommodation/post services.

There's a couple of companies that offer packages. Do you think they're reasonable and take the hassle out of doing the above, or is it easier to do when you arrive?

Thanks in advance!

There's very little hassle doing any of those things after you arrive and bank accounts can be set up before you even leave the UK. The 'services' are expensive and very poor value - save your money and use it for far more useful things while you're in Australia. The BUG Travel Essentials site has info on how to do all of those things plus info on hostel cards and heaps of other useful stuff.

I agree with Ozmaniac. Don't worry about one of those services and just DIY.

From my experience:

1) Bank account - sorted on the day (bring ID), takes about a week to send your debit card (though you can normally get it sent to the bank). You can set it up while still in the UK so it is hopefully waiting for you. I have Commonwealth and found them great. Unlike the UK, if you use a rival bank's ATM then you are charged for it so pick popular. I never had to look far for one (7/11s have a CommBank ATM usually) but I do remember trekking through town to reach a NAB. Also, there is normally a small charge ($2) if you aren't putting a certain amount of money each month. At the same time, I got my Superannuation account created. That's the pension and you need one for work.

2) Mobile - sorted in minutes. Take your passport into one of the phone network shops and they'll set it up so you dont need an address. Ensure your phone is roaming enabled and can accept other SIM cards. I'm with Optus since everyone seemed to be and I got a good PAYG deal (international mins)

3) TFN - apply online when you get here. Takes a few weeks to arrive but you get a reference and can call them after a few weeks to find out what it is. You just get a number and not a physical card (in case you're moving around).

4) Medicare Card - If you're from the UK or a country with agreements then get this as soon as you can. I noticed in some travel insurance fine print that it's not valid unless you applied for Medicare. It's a healthcare card, basically. You can download the form to fill in so you have everything you need by the time you get there.

Those are probably the most important things you need and you can basically have them all done and dusted in your first morning.

Good luck!