Suitcase or Backpack?

Alix Fisher

Hi ... I am wondering whether it would be better to take a suitcase or a 65L+ backpack with me? I am planning on travelling around but staying in places for 1-3 months so not really a long time? I am going to Thailand for a month and I am taking my backpack there rather than a suitcase as it's easier so not too sure what to take with me to oz!? How big are the lockers in the hostels if I did take a suitcase?

Any advice would be appreciated..

Alix

Hi Alix

Me and my wife looked into this when we went travelling a few years ago. We chose suitcases because with a back pack you have to carry it all the time whereas a suitcase has wheels. Also if you want anything that is at the bottom of a backpack it will be a pain in the ass to get to it. Where as a suitcase you can near enough just open it up and get to what you want.

Hi thanks for the reply :) Well the backpack I have has a zip at the bottom so it's easy to get stuff out of, I think a suitcase for Oz maybe but i'm not 100%.. I think cos I'm not really moving around every month it'll be easier to unpack all my stuff and live out of a suitcase! Looks like I'll have to get a new suitcase lol - I have a 30kg weight limit for my baggage as well so need to find a light suitcase!

Hi ... I am wondering whether it would be better to take a suitcase or a 65L+ backpack with me? I am planning on travelling around but staying in places for 1-3 months so not really a long time? I am going to Thailand for a month and I am taking my backpack there rather than a suitcase as it's easier so not too sure what to take with me to oz!? How big are the lockers in the hostels if I did take a suitcase?

Any advice would be appreciated..

Alix

Hi Alix,

I used this for a round the world trip and it was perfect

http://www.aspenofhereford.com/high-sierra-freel-rolling-backpack-with-removable-day-backpack-finished-in-true-navy-royal-cobalt-and-ash?gclid=CNKx5Zed6cICFdQZtAodmjQAHg

Unless you are trekking and need to carry your pack with you I think backpacks are not that useful and airlines will often tag them 'limited release' meaning they won't take responsibility for damage.

The great thing about the High Sierra is you can carry it as a back pack should circumstances dictate. The zip-off day pack is brilliant and depending on the airline you can get away with the whole thing as hand luggage.

Hi :) thanks for the link to the backpack but I already have one I purchased earlier in the year!! I do need a suitcase though lol!! 30kg is loads and I think for both Thailand and Oz I will buy some clothes there.. I normally go overboard when going on a normal 2 week holiday and use 20kg but don't wear half the stuff haha oops!!! Thanks again

if you're seriously considering taking 30kg, don't take a backpack as you'll knacker yourself trying to carry it.

And remember, you don't need toiletries/clothes to cover the whole time you're there, as you'll do laundry regularly, buy new stuff, get rid of old stuff in the same way you would do when you're at home. So don't go buying 12 months' worth of undies ;)

Edited by vickyplum

Backpack every time. You won't want to be lugging 30kg by either mode. I can carry 20kg easy - my DH has been known to carry 35-40kg while bushwalking so if you're a fit young fellow you could do it in a backpack but travelling lights definitely the way to go. At 65 I still don't own a case but always backpack.

I went to Australia with a 20kg suitcase but after a while you get fed up of wheeling the thing, so I bought a 65litre backpack and 10litre clip on bag it was perfect half the time you forget it was there but make sure you get a very good make with all the straps for round your waist and chest. And get one that opens like a suitcase not one that opens just from the top if makes sense.