Have I planned for everything correctly? Am I setting myself the right expectation?

Hi,

So as posted in some previous threads I'm going to be going out on a WHV to Sydney on 5th April 2015, honestly can't wait!!

Now I've written myself a checklist of things to do before then and was wondering if anyone could think of anything else I may need to add, and also from what I have found so far if it's any good or if there is something better.

I've noticed in other threads that I've made I've been asked my age etc, incase this makes a difference heres some of my stats and details..

6ft

Male

23y/o (september 1991)

Currently doing an Open University BSc. Computer Science degree (just begun)

Medically fit and well, no existing medical conditions, quoted as "pinnacle of health" by my GP

WHV

If theres any other details that would help towards my question please let me know :)

Here's the checklist I have so far..

Temp Accommodation

For my first 2 weeks or so while I look at a list of main accommodations I will have made, currently looking on Airbnb and searching for hostels on google to find a decent cheap deal.

For this, so far I’ve been looking at http://www.airbnb.com for something temporary

Main Accommodation

Will look to take out agreement in 6 month intervals due to if I need to move slightly for each employer and also due to the fact I will need to do my 6 months agricultural work to extend my stay to 2 years

Found these sites so far..

https://flatmates.com.au/

http://www.gumtree.com.au/

Jobs

Currently I have secured a job with my current employer (Apple) for my first 6 months while in Sydney (non-sponsored as Apple don't sponsor individuals) I was planning after this to go straight into agricultural work for 3 months to allow an extension of my visa, also the fact that I will have met some great people from the Apple store, this would help with local knowledge and finding out some good places to work etc..

Found these sites so far..

http://www.gumtree.com.au/

http://www.backpackerjobboard.com.au/

Medical Insurance

Been told that I shouldn't go for travel insurance, rather I should opt for specific WHV related medical insurance in Australia

Found this so far..

http://www.bupa.com.au/health-insurance/overseas-visitors-working-visa

Car/Transport

At first I will look to purchase a push-bike to travel round on, I'll probably need to look at a car though when I seek work on a farm, I currently have 2 years no claims on my UK insurance and have been driving since I was 17, I'm not really sure on how I can transfer my no claims over (if possible) and what I should be aware of in terms of differences in owning a vehicle in Aus

Agricultural

I'm not really to fussed about what I do, but not really sure what I should expect or look out for when working on this type of land as I've heard different points of view e.g. no pay but free food and shelter, pay food and shelter etc?

(Could do with some guidance on this to be honest)

Visa

I'll be submitting my visa online in the new year (early Jan) as by that time I will have the £5000 saved up in my bank account (£7000 in total as a £2000 back up) and will be applying for a WHV

Bank Account

I will be keeping my UK accounts open, but I've been told by other that I need to have references from my bank as a credit check? What is a good bank to be with in Aus and what/if any banking differences are there?

What I’ve found so far..

https://www.hsbc.com.au/1/2/personal/savings/compare (this looks good?)

http://www.savingsaccountfinder.com.au/transaction-accounts?utm_source=google_ppc_aunba&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=SAF+-+Transaction+Accounts

http://moneytransfer.pomsinoz.com/ (for transferring my money, free’s always good!)

Phone

To use while I'm there for obvious reasons.. However what are good network providers, I already have a phone so would be looking at just sim only plans

Data Plan

If possible it would be good if I can have this included in the phone plan, however I will want to make regular skype calls back home and also have the ability to browse online seamlessly if no wireless internet was available at my accommodation (this isnt a necessity though)

If there is anything else I should be thinking of then it would be great to know, or if there is a better source that I should be looking at other than the links if you could point me in the direction that would also be fab! (E.g. Vaccinations etc?)

In terms of local knowledge of Sydney, are there any fundamental things I should be aware of in terms of how easy it is to commute around, average cost of living in terms of food prices, what I should be looking for in terms of a good p/h rate (as I can only do 6 months at a time I doubt I'd get anything else) and what tends to be a well recruited job

My skills are..

Computer science student with software programming knowledge

Worked in retail at Apple

Qualified gym instructor, personal trainer and GP medical federal trainer (uk qualification)

Qualified life guard (uk qualification)

Qualified first aides (uk qualification)

Thanks in advance for any help/guidance you can give, if you need more info let me know :)

Thanks,

Jack

Wow, that's super organised!

It's only 3 months agricultural work that you need to do - I think most people get paid positions, there are a number of websites were this work is advertised, and some are advertised here from backpacker jobs. Expect to work extremely hard!! For an slightly easier ride some people do Wwoofing - https://www.wwoof.org.uk where board and lodge is exchanged for labour.

If you get a certificate of NCB from your insurer then Australian insurers will accept that - make sure you get one from them on your return so that you can maintain your NCB in the UK. There are some very cheap backpacker car hire places though - worth weighing up whether buying a car is worthwhile.

Try Columbus and GoWalkabout for health insurance too - you need more than a visitors private health plan. On a WHV I would say you DO need travel insurance - what if you became serious ill and needed an air ambulance back to the UK - something like the Bupa plan wouldn't cover that.

My only advice would be relax a little - this is meant to be fun :) Connect with others heading out on WHV next year - there are a few on here - @scottish Stacey would be someone to start with.

I would prob stay in a hostel once you arrive will meet people, these people will be your best source of information. I stayed in footprints on Pitt st, few years ago now, think there was a shuttle from the airport too.

you will need travel insurance, Medicare just covers emergency treatment but not other things travel insurance covers, I used downunder insure, but plenty other backpacker insurers. Travel Insurance also covers for loss of belonging etc, health insurance does not.

Never need a credit check to open a bank account, can do it online before you go, pick card and PIN number up branch once you arrive. Try NAb, Westpac, commonwelth - have a look through basic account to, as there can be fees on some Australian accounts, set no free withdrawals per month, only free from their ATMs etc.

Edited by lebourvellec

You said you have a job fixed up at Apple in Sydney for the first six months? That takes care of one of your main worries, probably THE main worry. I was here three months before I got my first job.

Do you know which Apple Store in Sydney it is? George St in the City? I know there is one at Penrith 55km from City, not so glamorous a location but much cheaper in terms of finding accommodation.

Most people I've met from England seem to find share accommodation in houses or flats, which around the inner city means $250-300 a week (I think.) Look on Gumtree or Domain to get an idea of what is available.

Join the YHA before you leave and book a couple of weeks in one of their city area hostels, or one of the many private ones. 'Bounce' is one I know because it is close to me in Surry Hills opposite Central Railway. (15min from Airport.)

You can Google Medicare and ATO to see how to apply for your Medicare card and TFN (Tax File No.) I don't know about specific travel/medical insurance. Medicare covers basics. If something serious, accident I mean, then they do it in a public hospital. I think you have to pay for the ambulance if you don't have insurance.

All the other stuff, don't worry about until you get here. You will meet plenty of people in same boat especially in the hostels.

Maybe do your RSA (Responsible Service of Alcohol) cert once you get here. There always seem to be plenty of people on WHV with bar jobs here.

I remember I opened an account with the Commonwealth Bank before I left and transferred 500 quid (got measly 744$ I seem to recall.) I must have organised everything else after I arrived. I was scared of what the Aussies would be like I must admit! I thought they would all be like Dennis Lillee and Jeff Thomson (who are both OK anyway!)

• 2 weeks later...

Your planning and research has been super impressive - kudos to you

As for telecommunication providers, the main players in Australia are Telstra, Optus and Vodaphone - if you are planning to work in rural areas, you will want the most network coverage so Telstra is the best bet. But Telstra is more expensive than the others. For data only SIMs, I'm currently using Vaya which runs off the Optus network. Another similar player is Amaysim - reasonably cost effective and runs off the Optus network as well.

I am from Melbourne so I cannot comment too much on the cost of living in Sydney - while on holiday there, it is definitely higher than the other capital cities depending on where you end up staying.

I see your large post and raise you a large post (it turned out bigger than expected)

---

Wow. I bought a plane ticket, a guidebook, and I was in Brisbane a week later with the idea of 'Want to go to the Great Barrier Reef, Sydney, and Melbourne'.

Everything else I worked out when I got here. I was quite a planner before I decided to come here (spur of the moment) and just working things out as I go along was the best thing I did. That obviously doesn't work for everyone.

Firstly: relax a bit. Don't plan everything. You will meet people and your plans will change :) That would be my best advice for you. Of course, that only applies if that would suit you. Some people are more relaxed with every detail planned.

My 'just think about it' advice:

I would recommend at least travelling the East Coast if you can. Dive in the Great Barrier Reef, go to Whitsundays, hug a koala, feed a kangaroo, etc. Completely enjoy it. You would have way more than enough money to do that comfortably - I came with about the same and lasted 4 months of travelling, tours, accommodation, Fiji for a week, etc before needing a job. As long as you are willing to make friends, you will. So many people travel on their own and connecting with people in hostels is one way to make friends here.

So... on to what you asked:

Accommodation: Stay in hostels to start with. They'll be cheaper than AirBnB and you'll meet people. If you can give yourself a few weeks to be a tourist then I recommend it. Hostels will recommend loads to do and you might find people to do it with - plus, it will give you a chance to get your surroundings. Depending on the type of person you are you might find that living in a hostel and working is fine (I did for a bit) but you can find shared accommodation on sites like http://flatmates.com.au or with people you've met. For hostels look at sites like HostelWorld or get advice from others if travelling around.

Jobs: You are a qualified fitness instructor? I'm guessing you're moving into computers (maybe for personal reasons) but that sounds quite a new move. Aussies love their gyms / personal trainers :) Might this be something to look into? You might find it well paid - especially if you have decent experience in that field. Otherwise http://seek.com.au is a good job board (similar to reed). Plus, just sending CVs off to recruiters for admin work will help.

Medical insurance: I don't really think private medical insurance is needed - especially if you are the 'pinnacle of health'. I have a feeling you need it if you're being sponsored but not just on a WHV. If you're resident in the UK, then you can get a Medicare card and then just travel insurance will be fine. From what I looked into, a backpacker specific travel insurance is needed and these will include things like insurance while working and repatriation (horrible to think about but you don't get insurance for happy stuff). Also, travel insurance is just that... you don't want the airline to lose your stuff while you're travelling and this usually has cancellation insurance in case something stops you from going. I've picked up policies from Outbackers and World Nomads.

Car/Transport: If travelling along the east coast, there's a hop on/off coach service run by Greyhound that'll get you places (it also has point to point routes elsewhere). For Sydney specifically, once you get used to them, the public transport is fairly good although I find that everything is within walking distance. As for needing a car for farmwork, that might help for some jobs but everyone I know managed to get a job without needing to own a car. You definitely don't need it while in Sydney :) If you're travelling far then planes are cheap and frequent.

Agriculture: This usually has one main reason: those 3 months of rural work. Some people find paid work (yay) and others WWOOF (counts towards your days but usually just paid in food and board). Remember that your days do not have to be in the same place or consecutive. I've met people that did WWOOFing while they were looking for paid farm work (to save spending on accom and food). Please be aware that there are scams with rural work (as with anything) and you need to work for a place with an ABN (a registered business number). I've had friends travel from Melbourne to Perth, having prepaid $200 each for accommodation to find there was no job, or accommodation, or anything :( You may find others are looking to do it at a hostel / wherever you stay and you can all go do it together. Keep all payslips, letters, etc. You may need to prove it when applying for a second year WHV.

Visa: There shouldn't be any issues with this if you have no criminal record or health problems. People apply and generally get it in a few hours. Hurrah! You'll then be given a year to enter the country (at which point, your year WHV starts). You can check your Visa status with something called VEVO once granted and you might be asked for a copy of this by recruiters or so. Not that I needed it, but just print your grant letter to keep with your travel documents.

Bank: I just needed my passport when I got my bank account. I can't even remember if I needed a second form of ID. Either way, I walked into a bank one day and 10 minutes later, I had a bank account. I signed up with CommonWealth bank and find them really good and dotted everywhere. Two things to note are bank charges: the ones I know have small monthly charges (CommBank has $2 but waives this if you put in a certain amount each month) and banks charge you about $2 to use other ATMs. I rarely see HSBC ATMs but I've never had to look hard for a CommonWealth. You can sign up for this before coming and collect your debit card when you arrive.

Phone: I'm with Optus and have I get 250 minutes (incl. international), free texts, free Optus-to-optus, and 500MB data for $30 prepay topup. That suits me fine :) Although I haven't gone anywhere rural so I've always had decent reception. To get a SIM, you just walk into a phone operator's shop with your passport as ID and they'll sort it.

Data: You'll find WiFi in most places, even if you have to pay a minimal charge. When looking for long term accommodation, actively look for ones with WiFi because they'll always be around and will be better than just tethering in most cases :) Otherwise you can always add extra data to your phone plan.

-----

ONE LAST POINT: Just be aware of the weather when you're arriving - my dream that Australia was always sunny was shattered last year. At the end of March / April in Sydney last year it started to rain quite heavily as it's the middle of autumn and winter is on the way. Northern Queensland stays decent and Melbourne gets chillier than Sydney so plan your clothes for wherever you plan to stay. After 6 months of working in Sydney (if you do the Apple Store job straight away), it'll be December and the middle of the Aussie Summer - just when you are looking for outdoor farmwork. I'm pale skinned and don't think I would survive working outdoors in that so if you're the same then maybe consider doing your farmwork sooner (in winter) when the weather is a good bit milder. I can't advise too much on that though.

Soo... with one final breath I'm going to say I'm done and I hope this is useful to you. Don't forget to relax and enjoy yourself. If you have any more questions then hopefully I can help but I organised everything when I got here. It was easy enough :D

Join the YHA before you leave and book a couple of weeks in one of their city area hostels, or one of the many private ones. 'Bounce' is one I know because it is close to me in Surry Hills opposite Central Railway. (15min from Airport.)

I wasn't a big fan of Bounce but I think it was due to my roommates at the time so you can give it a try. My fave hostel was one near Kings Cross (well, it was quiet around the corner from all the action which was great for me since I'm quiet) but only had about 30 people so more like a big house - Blue Parrot. Don't book weeks and weeks in advance (unless it's peak season of summer). You can always extend if you like a place and then you have the option to move if not :)

As for YHA membership, if you have a 16-25 railcard then you can get it even cheaper (for £1): http://www.16-25railcard.co.uk/offers-and-rewards/offers/yha/