Veterinary nurse and Social care worker on work-holiday visa

Camerilla

Hallo all,

I'm a veterinary nurse, I assume that I can work on a working-holiday visa in this sector?

But my boyfriend is a social care worker, he works with people who are mentally ill, or kids with problems.

Is he allowed to work in his sector on a work-holiday visa?

It's hard to find information about this....

We also understand that we can't work for one employee for longer than 6 monts.

But we read on http://www.immi.gov.au/ that it would be possible to work longer than 6 months if you get permission of the Secretary?

Anyone can give us some more info about this?

Thanks a lot already!

Camerilla

On a WHV or W&HV, you can work in any occupation in which you can find work. The ONLY restriction is the 6 month per employer limit and can only be extended in exceptional circumstances. Such circumstances are so limited that you really should forget about it as a possibility.

See Form 1445 for more info:

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1445.pdf

Thanks so much for that!

Is there a maximum amount of hours that you are allowed to work?

Also, is it allowed to work with 2 employees at the same time?

Like working 4 days at one company and 1 day at another?

Anyone knows if there are any rules about that?

As far as I know there's no maximum hours, we are allowed full time hours. There's maybe a maximum hours as in personal safety but I don't know what these are in the UK never mind australia or even if it exists. I would imagine 60 hours would be the absolute maximum someone would want to work lol.

I don't know about working for 2 companies, I don't imagine that would be a problem but really can't say for certain. All I know is your only allowed 6 months with one employer

• 1 month later...

Hi,

another question on this subject.

How do they check how long you work?

As I'm working somewhere now and I will take a two week break to go and travel and then come back.

Will they also count this 2 weeks into the 6 months, or do they see it as two different periods....?

Many thanks!

Hi,

another question on this subject.

How do they check how long you work?

As I'm working somewhere now and I will take a two week break to go and travel and then come back.

Will they also count this 2 weeks into the 6 months, or do they see it as two different periods....?

Many thanks!

DIBP and the ATO share data on people with WHV and other visas with work restrictions. If you work longer than 6 months with an employer, there is a good chance you will be found out. Not positive about the 2 week break question though if it's unpaid leave, I doubt if it would be counted in the 6 months. You can't work for more than 6 months in total for an employer - you don't get to start another 6 months with them after a 2 week break.