Christmas in Oz - is Sydney the place to be?

Humblebrag

Hi all,

I'll be moving to Oz in a few days on my own and plan on traveling around for a few months before I do the sensible thing and get a job.

I've been looking at the best places to be around Christmas/New Year and Google keeps coming back with Sydney - is it definitely the best place to be around this time? Does anybody advice or suggestions, Sydney or elsewhere? Interesting and quirky ideas are welcome!

Thanks

Sydney is definitely the best place to be for this time period, especially New Year's. But here's the catch: you need to book accomodation right now. Don't hesitate. Every hostel will be fully booked during this time and it'll be hard to find somewhere to stay if you wait until the last minute.

I started my WHV in October, and this is exactly why I decided to start in Sydney. I can't wait to experience New Year's Eve here in Sydney.

Sydney is the place you should be, if you want to spend Xmas on Bondi Beach, and/or NYE waiting twelve hours or more for 15 minutes of fireworks.

But if that is not your thing, well, it does matter where you spend it, stay in a hostel or a resort or anywhere you can find, as long as you are not on your own.

Maryrose do you want to hang around with me next Xmas? We can go to the pub for some schooners or whatever they are called :laugh:

I'd be glad to as long as you don't want me to take you to the fireworks on NYE, at least if it means amongst the crowds! Nielsen Park is probably a decent place to watch them, if you book a place early enough, and the bookings probably opened this month.

The lucky people get invited to somebody's home if it looks over the harbour.

Schooners or middies!

Anybody who hasn't booked a hostel or hotel already is probably out of luck. I suppose you could stay in Wollongong, Katoomba, Newcastle, and get the train to Sydney, or if you have a camper van, head to Clovelly Beach unless the council has clamped down on 'campers' in the carpark.

I'd be glad to as long as you don't want me to take you to the fireworks on NYE, at least if it means amongst the crowds! Nielsen Park is probably a decent place to watch them, if you book a place early enough, and the bookings probably opened this month.

The lucky people get invited to somebody's home if it looks over the harbour.

Schooners or middies!

Anybody who hasn't booked a hostel or hotel already is probably out of luck. I suppose you could stay in Wollongong, Katoomba, Newcastle, and get the train to Sydney, or if you have a camper van, head to Clovelly Beach unless the council has clamped down on 'campers' in the carpark.

So should I be booking for 2015 nye right now? I thought I might be okay booking somewhere in March or April. If I need to do it right now then I might have to just forget Sydney.

I doubt I would be lucky enough to know someone who's home overlooked the harbour lol. Even if I'm not in Sydney for new year I'll be there at some point so I'll definitely meet you for a drink or two. As long as you don't talk about tony Abbott :laugh:

So should I be booking for 2015 nye right now? I thought I might be okay booking somewhere in March or April. If I need to do it right now then I might have to just forget Sydney.

I doubt I would be lucky enough to know someone who's home overlooked the harbour lol. Even if I'm not in Sydney for new year I'll be there at some point so I'll definitely meet you for a drink or two. As long as you don't talk about tony Abbott :laugh:

Your March/April plan sounds good to me. I doubt that it's necessary to book this early. :wink:

Your March/April plan sounds good to me. I doubt that it's necessary to book this early. :wink:

Haha hope so. I thought about renting a flat if I was going to Sydney in December and just stay for a few months. I'll just see nearer the time. It's hard to make any new year plans if I have to buy tickets, what if I don't meet anybody that wants to go to the same thing I booked. I'd rather wait till much nearer the time. Was trying to think of somewhere else to go if I didn't want to go to Sydney

Stacey, you'll be fine. When people say book early, they are talking about 3-6 months in advance. Absolutely no need to book right now. Sydney is great though. My initial plan was to stay in Sydney only through the New Year, but now I'll be here much longer than that. Plans changed!

Stacey, you'll be fine. When people say book early, they are talking about 3-6 months in advance. Absolutely no need to book right now. Sydney is great though. My initial plan was to stay in Sydney only through the New Year, but now I'll be here much longer than that. Plans changed!

Really? Good. I can definitely book things 6 months in advance. Just don't know where to go. Worst nightmare is booking a event ticket and then spending the night myself because nobody else that I know from the hostel or wherever I'm staying is going lol