Arrive in Sydney on Tuesday, the 7th for start of WHV

JonathonS

I guess it's time to make my own thread! I leave on Sunday for Sydney and get there on Tuesday the 7th to begin my WHV. If anyone is in Sydney and wants to meet up and grab a drink or something, I'm down for that. I'll be in Sydney at least through the New Year's, and after that I'm not sure. I think my plan is a little different from others, I have a bunch of money saved up but I'm still going to look for work right away. And I see myself really only living in a few places during my WHV, basing myself in certain cities and just using my time off work to explore the rest of Australia. Maybe when I do my New Zealand WHV next year, I'll travel more than work. I just got done traveling Europe for a bit. Having a good life in an international city sounds good to me.

But yeah, if anyone wants to meet up next week or anytime after, let me know.

Where is the hostel you've booked into? Around Central? Circular Quay? Kings Cross? Bondi Beach?! The only one I ever stayed in, one of the best too, is the YHA at Central. Actually, there are two YHA hostels at Central. I was in the one on the corner of Pitt St. If the warm weather carries on into next week, you can get straight down to the beach!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

No, dont do it!!! I did a similar one when I first got here and it wasnt worth the money. Its SOOOOO easy to do everything yourself AND you save $$$. Dead easy to set up your tax file, bank account, book yourself into a decent hostel for your first week. Most hostels have beach walks organised, city tours, BBQ nights etc so its really easy to meet people.

I used to work for ThaIntro (OzIntro's Thailand equivalent) as it happens and whilst its a great way to meet people they make their money by selling you onward travel at full or even fluctuated prices because by the end of the week the group leader is your 'best mate' and you trust what they say and everyone else is doing the same.

PM me and I can help you sort out your travel arrangements/first weeks accommodation for you x

Thanks. I just wasn't sure because it seems to have really good reviews and I liked the sound of having a group of people straight away. Some of the trips like the base camp sounded really good. But I added everything up and it's obviously much less than what they were charger. I'll have a think about it before I completely reject the idea. I have no plans at all yet so I'm trying to sort out at least where I'm landing!x

These sorts of packages are great fun and a great way to meet people, but if you are money conscious and street savvy, do it all yourself and meet people in hostels etc.

As for the reviews, be mindful that group leaders sit people down on computers and make them leave reviews in front of them...