Where to go

Guest51810

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bristol! holiday? surely a contradiction there:wink:. Enjoy your holiday Que sera sera and safe flights.

Funnily enough I had a confirmation email from a serviced apartment we booked in central Bristol. And the manager actually put. I hope you have a lovely stay with us whatever the reason for your visit. :laugh: Did make me chuckle.

Feel free to share suggestions on places in Australia that are must see! I'm trying to make a list. So far it's just obvious ones like Fraser Island, Sydney etc :)

I really enjoy FNQ. If I had to pick out one place for you it would definitely be Cairns and surrounding areas. I guess that is one of the obvious ones though isn't it? :embarrassed:

There is a well trodden back packer path which takes in most of the attractions which I expect you'll at least in part follow, almost everyone does. Cairns is back packer central, but do get out in the Atherton region, an area I largely missed when lived in Cairns due to an unexpected departure. Port Douglas another must in that area.

I went from Cairns to Darwin in a camper, the best way to do it and fun with a few like minded people. I liked Darwin at the time, although not everybody's favourite, there was and I'd imagine still is a very strong back packer culture up there. From there either to The Alice et al or Kununurra in WA. (lot of work in the latter with the fruit picking. ) If going with the latter you can 'do' the WA coast , taking in Broome et al down to Perth (or up)

Other route would take you to Ayers Rock and down to SA Cobby Peddy where they live underground. Worth to see once. Then down to Adelaide. Great Ocean Road is worthwhile. Stop off in Apollo Bay one of my favourite towns on that route for a night and on to Melbourne.

I'd say don't forget Tasmania either a place I've yet to visit. Nor as mentioned by Happy Heart the South West of WA, Albany area upwards.

Feel free to share suggestions on places in Australia that are must see! I'm trying to make a list. So far it's just obvious ones like Fraser Island, Sydney etc :)

Don't worry too much about making lists, because I can almost guarantee your plans will change once you get here!

Most people start in Sydney, but to be honest (even though I live in Sydney) it wouldn't be my pick! Sydney Harbour is absolutely glorious to look at, but there isn't much more to see in New South Wales that you can't see elsewhere in Oz. If you're used to sandy Scottish beaches, you won't be that impressed by the Sydney ones, and the surf is too scarey to swim in! The backpacker lifestyle down round Coogee is fun for young people, though.

Personally, I'd say Brisbane would be a better place to start, because then you're much closer to all the amazing Queensland sights - Fraser Island, the Barrier Reef, Eungalla (for the platypuses), camel rides, rainforest, coral islands, etc etc.

Book into a good hostel (check out TripAdvisor first!!). Look for one with small share rooms rather than big dorms, so you'll be comfortable staying for a few weeks. That way you'll get to know people and may well end up travelling or flat-sharing with them. You'll also find lots of info on trips on the hostel's noticeboards.

Other places to see - Monkey Mia in WA to feed the dolphins. Darwin to see the crocodiles leap, and bathe in champagne springs (but choose your time of year very carefully, the end of winter is the best time). Alice Springs to see the Rock (but probably not climb it).

Edited by Marisawright

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Some were on my list and some I hadn't thought about. I'll definitely be going to cairns to visit our PIO queen :cute:

Things like monkey Mia are definitely on the list and I want to go on a camel! I was looking at doing that at Uluru. I remember Simmo mentioning cobby peddy before too so I might check that out. Tasmania is definitely on the list!

Don't worry too much about making lists, because I can almost guarantee your plans will change once you get here!

Most people start in Sydney, but to be honest (even though I live in Sydney) it wouldn't be my pick! Sydney Harbour is absolutely glorious to look at, but there isn't much more to see in New South Wales that you can't see elsewhere in Oz. If you're used to sandy Scottish beaches, you won't be that impressed by the Sydney ones, and the surf is too scarey to swim in! The backpacker lifestyle down round Coogee is fun for young people, though.

Personally, I'd say Brisbane would be a better place to start, because then you're much closer to all the amazing Queensland sights - Fraser Island, the Barrier Reef, Eungalla (for the platypuses), camel rides, rainforest, coral islands, etc etc.

Book into a good hostel (check out TripAdvisor first!!). Look for one with small share rooms rather than big dorms, so you'll be comfortable staying for a few weeks. That way you'll get to know people and may well end up travelling or flat-sharing with them. You'll also find lots of info on trips on the hostel's noticeboards.

Other places to see - Monkey Mia in WA to feed the dolphins. Darwin to see the crocodiles leap, and bathe in champagne springs (but choose your time of year very carefully, the end of winter is the best time). Alice Springs to see the Rock (but probably not climb it).

I was originally thinking of staying in Sydney first but having second thoughts about that. I actually don't know what to do - go almost straight to a au pair job first or spend a month travelling somewhere first. I'm just worried about money. I'm not used to really nice Scottish beaches, the ones nearest me are a bit skanky lol except St. Andrews. However the ones in Channel Islands were gorgeous so they'll need to beat those lol I'm sure they will though.

I've had a look at hostels in the past so I've a rough idea of names and I've got the YHA on my Facebook so I get updates on them. They quite often show off the Sydney one that's right near the harbour, looks really good! The handy thing is that I'm used to hostels now, when I went to London in January I stayed in one. Which was a 8 or 10 bed mixed room so it won't be a shock to me. Loads of people back home couldn't believe I'd stayed in one, didn't bother me at all! Thanks very much for your post :)

If your in Perth visit Fremantle and Rottnest Island. On Rottnest island they have quokkas which there are not many places you can see them. Also the beaches are amazing on the island. Also if you can pop up to Monkey Mia on the way see the pinnacles which is within the Nambung National park. They are limestone formations which are pretty cool.

If you go Sydney I would recommend a weekend or so in the Blue Mountines and take a visit to jenolan caves. I stayed in a log style cabin when I went which was pretty cool.

Rottnest was definitely on the list, I've known about that place for a long time. I definitely want a picture of me with one of those quokkas lol they look so cute!

I know this sounds stupid but I've always really wanted to go and see the red dog statue

I have a pic of me and a Quokka but its not a great picture so instead here is one trying to say hello to me:

76646_10150338263755595_8097221_n.jpg

First time I went Perth ended up visiting Rottnest twice as we loved it so much. They dont have cars on the island so the second time we hired out bicycle and cycled around the island which was cool. Also remember playing crazy golf and swimming in the this sea.

155759_10150338249810595_2184971_n.jpg

Really wish I was going back to Perth now! :)

76646_10150338263755595_8097221_n.jpg

155759_10150338249810595_2184971_n.jpg

I was originally thinking of staying in Sydney first but having second thoughts about that. I actually don't know what to do - go almost straight to a au pair job first or spend a month travelling somewhere first. I'm just worried about money. I'm not used to really nice Scottish beaches, the ones nearest me are a bit skanky lol except St. Andrews. However the ones in Channel Islands were gorgeous so they'll need to beat those lol I'm sure they will though.

I've had a look at hostels in the past so I've a rough idea of names and I've got the YHA on my Facebook so I get updates on them. They quite often show off the Sydney one that's right near the harbour, looks really good! The handy thing is that I'm used to hostels now, when I went to London in January I stayed in one. Which was a 8 or 10 bed mixed room so it won't be a shock to me. Loads of people back home couldn't believe I'd stayed in one, didn't bother me at all! Thanks very much for your post :)

Well I think Sydney is a great place to start, I cannot believe the negative comments about it! Do you need to stay there for three months, no I don't think so, I would recommend a couple of weeks maybe. But it is classic and iconic Australia and I think it has the best beaches and coastline that I have seen in the country. At least you can actually go into the sea without fear of jellyfish or crocodiles!

I never got out of WA much and my recommendations there have been mostly mentioned by others - Rottnest Island, Margaret River (& SW generally), the Pinnacles, Kalbarri, bush camping at Lane Poole Reserve and Perth Hills National Park (just magical when the wild roos come out at night)

Places on the typical tourist itinerary which I thought were over-rated were Wave Rock and Valley of the Giants in Denmark - we travelled far to see them and I wouldn't bother.

I'd do the aupair bit for 3-6 months first, earn some money, get acclimitised and make some friends, I think you'll make more out of the travelling that way.

As a Sydneysider, born and bred (but these are just one bloke's opinions):

The opera house... yair, it's OK. I prefer the high 60s interior to the exterior.

The Harbour Bridge... I love it with all my heart, and feel like a giddy new tourist each time I see it (and I've been seeing it over forty years). Drive over it, walk over it, catch the train over it, do the South Pylon, and do Bridgeclimb. Walk under it. Sit in one of the little pubs nearby in the Rocks and watch your beer glass skitter in its puddle as a train roars by overhead. Damn, I love that bridge.

Bondi Beach.... meh. Great in the old days (I used to live there), but now full of tossers. There are better beaches.

Jenolan Caves.... DO THIS. It's an easy day trip from Sydney, and is one of the most atmospheric places there is. You'll never forget it. Do the Lucas or River Caves.

As a Sydneysider, born and bred (but these are just one bloke's opinions):

The opera house... yair, it's OK. I prefer the high 60s interior to the exterior.

The Harbour Bridge... I love it with all my heart, and feel like a giddy new tourist each time I see it (and I've been seeing it over forty years). Drive over it, walk over it, catch the train over it, do the South Pylon, and do Bridgeclimb. Walk under it. Sit in one of the little pubs nearby in the Rocks and watch your beer glass skitter in its puddle as a train roars by overhead. Damn, I love that bridge.

Bondi Beach.... meh. Great in the old days (I used to live there), but now full of tossers. There are better beaches.

Jenolan Caves.... DO THIS. It's an easy day trip from Sydney, and is one of the most atmospheric places there is. You'll never forget it. Do the Lucas or River Caves.

How scary out of 10 is the bridge climb? I really want to do it but I'm not the fittest and I'm scared of heights lol still want to do it though!

Aww they are so cute, they actually look like they are smiling lol. the whole no car thing sounds like herm too. Maybe I'll like it even more! Is it worth staying over there for a night or do people just go for the day?

If we could have we would have stayed for a weekend (Think thats enough to be honest especially if you hire a bike) as it would have been beautiful to watch the sun go down. There is a hotel but there are other accommodation such as little apartments. (Think the hotel is expensive) there is a central place which has a mini mark and restaurants and take away but it is easy to bring food over from mainland beforehand to keep costs down. I am convinced the quokka smiles its like a mini kangaroo kinda.