Before we Arrive

jpe123

Hello,

My wife and I will be arriving in Sydney early October, Pretty sure one of us will have work pretty quickly so my question is ......

Does anyone know if we can apply for a tax file number before we arrive or can this only be done once on Aussie soil ? or does it not make much difference ?

Cheers

Justin

My understanding is that you cannot apply before you arrive as you have to have an Australian address and be resident. it only takes a few days and you can do it online https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Tax-file-number/Applying-for-a-TFN/. although the website says you can apply for one if you are outside Australia it is for people who are non resident but still have Australian income

Of course you can and its free........and bring plenty of yellow dusters.................

No you can't.

TFN can only be applied for onshore. I arrived a couple of days before the OH, applied for my TFN and then tried applying for his, but the system knew he was not on shore however, presumably because the passport or visa details I had to enter was cross referenced.

As for the yellow dusters reference, too cryptic for me.

Edited by Pumpkin

No you can't.

TFN can only be applied for onshore. I arrived a couple of days before the OH, applied for my TFN and then tried applying for his, but the system knew he was not on shore however, presumably because the passport or visa details I had to enter was cross referenced.

As for the yellow dusters reference, too cryptic for me.

`I`ve just checked on that with mrs tonyman and we got our TFN`s here , it was our bank accounts we opened up while still in the UK ...sorry JPE and if you use dusters I would bring some as they are hard to find here (yellow ones )

Having just arrived in Melbourne last week, you just need to apply for a TFN online once in Australia & make sure you go with the individual auto registration (https://iar.ato.gov.au/IARWeb/default.aspx?pid=4&sid=1&outcome=1) for migrants. You don't want to apply off shore anyway as then you'll be liable for Australian and UK tax.

The other thing to be aware of (which we fell foul of) is that you cannot apply for a TFN without an Australian phone number (UK ones are no good even if they work in Australia) and address. We had our friends address but what we didn't have was a phone number and getting one of these was harder than we'd ever imagined! Just so you don't have the same problems as us - you can only get pre-paid phones as you won't have an Australian credit history and you need to take ID (i.e passport) with you in order to buy any sort of phone deal. Also, make sure you register with Medicare & CentreLink early on too.

Good luck!

Don't know about that (I had to look up what a WHV was!); I'd be surprised if you could but you don't lose anything by asking - it's all done at the same place as your Medicare. Not sure what the rules would be for Medicare on a WHV either. I'm on a permanent residents visa & am eligible to apply...

We have got contract mobile phones - our Australian bank supplied us with a letter when we had transferred our money, showing our account details and a healthy balance, we had our passports and UK driving licences and have managed to set up contracts. We get free texts to the UK and an allowance of free minutes to chat to the UK.

We could only apply for our TFN when we arrived. You can set up bank accounts before.

Having looked at the QLD we page, it would seem that you have to be in Australia for two years before you can claim job seekers allowance. http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/enablers/waiting-periods#Newlyarrivedresidentswaitingperiod

Cheers Gin.

yeh not planning on going for job seekers haha Tina0101 ! ah brilliant that's all great advice thanks. Did it cost you much to transfer your money ?

We have used Moneycorp to transfer the money. The rates have been ok and there are no fees if you are a PIO member. There seem to be a few companies that do this service and it seems to work out better for you than the bank!!!

We're not planning on job seekers either, but it was something I hadn't realised until I came across that webpage the other day :-)

I've heard that you can apply for a TFN in advance if you have an Australian address. Sure, it says that you have to be in the country first, but I don't see what the difference is. Some hostels even advertise that you can use their address for the TFN so that it's there waiting for you when you arrive, at least that's what I plan on doing. One thing I am curious about is if Telstra will let me do their 1-year contract on a WHV.