Car Insurance as a non resident

dr who

Hello,

I am going to Australia with the WHV for 6 month starting in January 15.

Its my dream to buy a camper van to have the ultimate freedom.

It will not be a problem to find a car, but i have not found any car insurance suitable for backpackers. The travellers car insurance (.com) quit its service some month ago.

Also I will be just 18 with about 8 month of driving experience.

Does anyone have an idea where to get a third party property insurance for non residents? Without one the risk would be too high for me, just imagine an accident with a big truck. This could cost tens of thousands.

Edited by noworriesmate
removed link as per forum rules

Try any of the usual insurance companies online (AAMI, budget, compare the Meerkat! :-)). The fact that you are a backpacker isn't really an issue. You just need contact details, the vehicle details and the ability to pay.

I would imagine that the premium would be heavily weighted for an 18 year old.

Where did you read that? Insurance companies aren't the immigration police. :-)

I've had a few dealings with insurance companies here. Never has residency been questioned. Upon a claim, all they ask for is your policy number, and the details of the parties involved.

You give them your info; they calculate the risk and work out a fee for the proposal to insure you. You either decline, or accept and pay for the contract. If a road incident occurs, then you are covered.

You are automatically insured to drive with your rego but as you say, you would be right to get additional insurance as if you damage someone else's property you wouldn't be insured, as far as stories I've heard, travellers give fake details and do a runner! Your age more than residency would be the issue. Try coles, aami, allianz, progressive, racq....

Also, it's quite common to get an estate car with room in the back for a mattress, poor man's camper! It may be cheaper to insure a car than a camper so maybe look at that option.