Looking to take the plunge

Scott McCormack

Hi Guys

I'm 27 years old. The sale of my house should be complete within 8 weeks so will be thinking about making the jump.

I would like to head over on a 417, I work in IT and would look to do a bit of contract work in the Perth CBD.

When I lodge my Visa application, Will I get a year from original date of entry or will I have to specify a date?

Will my Passport need to be valid for the entirety of my stay?

Thanks

:)

Edited by Scott McCormack

I think finding contract work in IT will be hard on a WHV. You can only work 6 months in one job, and even though contract work is part time and can end whenever, they usually perfer someone who can work for them longer than 6 months is poss. My friend tried to get contract jobs, he had a hard time. It's not impossible, just very hard.

Yeah, you definitely need a passport valid for much longer than you're planning on staying. Otherwise, how are you going to get home? And as others have said, getting serious work on a WHV is hard. But good luck, sounds like you're ready for it!

Edited by JonathonS

I came to Perth on a 417 and I work in IT. Within 2 weeks of getting here (Nov 2011) i was offered a 6 month contract through an agency. 3 Months into my contract i was offered a 457 company sponsered visa. Now having been here nearly 3 years the company has sponsored me for a 186 Perm visa. Maybe i got lucky......I can give you the name of the agency that initally took me on if you like.

Yes Please Nurrish that sounds perfect.

This is the route that Ideally I would like to take. I understand it may not work out that way but god loves a tryer :)

Thanks all.

I don't get that really. You want to try that way, when there are far easier and quicker ways available, like skilled migration? So Nurrish got sponsored for a permanent visa within 3 years, many people get their skilled migrant visa within months...

I don't get that really. You want to try that way, when there are far easier and quicker ways available, like skilled migration? So Nurrish got sponsored for a permanent visa within 3 years, many people get their skilled migrant visa within months...

Yup very true. My circumstances were different as I never really had plans to get my PR, but as time progressed it just worked out this way. My initial mind set was to do my year working holiday and keep travelling....just got stuck and addicted to the life style over here.

And Scott the agency is called Paxus IT

Yup very true. My circumstances were different as I never really had plans to get my PR, but as time progressed it just worked out this way. My initial mind set was to do my year working holiday and keep travelling....just got stuck and addicted to the life style over here.

And Scott the agency is called Paxus IT

And there is the difference, you fell into it but if Scott's goal is to get PR, then there could be better ways of going about it.

Agreed. But i guess this would of been the only way I could of gotten in as i have no qualifications and my skill isn't listed. So maybe you are in the same boat as me in this matter so this may be your way too.

Well he is an electrician, that is why I have commented that skilled migration could be a better option.

Hi Pumpkin, thanks for the advice. I'd like to do some sight seeing first and although I have only been once for 3 weeks I don't know If I want to make the move perm.

It makes sense to me at the moment as my life is a bit topsy turvy and I fancy a change. Maybe a bit of time in a motorhome, The Ghan etc.

I'm going to go on the WHV and what will be will be.