Farm Work Help!

ArianneKR

Hi everyone,

I came over to Australia with the hope of travelling around but I've been stuck in Syndey for the most part just making enough money to survive. I really want to go do farm work so I can meet some like-minded people but I don't know where to start. The only number I had that anyone had recommended was the banana farm in Tully, but I rang them today and they said they wouldn't have anything until at least September. I would consider going up and trying to find other work until then, but I'm a little worried being on my own.

The only other ones I've seen are no pay but with free accommodation and food. That's obviously not a bad deal but I'd like to save up a bit before I travel around a lot my last month.

Is there anywhere else that would maybe be better? I'm willing to travel anywhere.

Hi Arianne

I've worked with people like you, trying to make the impossible possible and finding them work on farms. I wouldn't go up unless you have a car or van and can sustain yourself financially. Farm work is not what is used to be and you may have to travel from farm to farm and be on the spot to get a place. There are too many people wanting to do the same and you are lucky if you find paid work. Tully is risky as the harvest hasn't been great last year. Try to find like-minded people on gumtree and meet up before, inform yourself and only go where you can support yourself and move on if nothing works out. Otherwise go to another city and try hospitality. Good luck!

Hi Arianne, I've found work is pretty solid in/around Gatton starting September, Winpack is a big farm that starts its potatoes in September and a lot of other places have onion jobs. I would recommend coming here but with enough to sustain yourself for a couple of weeks, just while you get around the farms asking if there's jobs going

Hey guys,

I'm also looking for a farm job and yes, I wanna apply for a second working-holiday visa after one year. Now, I'm in Melbourne. How did you guys find a job? and do you guys have any recommend as tingtongman said Gatton will be very busy, so I should move to Gatton first , or I get a job first?

Cheers...

CL

Hey guys,

I'm also looking for a farm job and yes, I wanna apply for a second working-holiday visa after one year. Now, I'm in Melbourne. How did you guys find a job? and do you guys have any recommend as tingtongman said Gatton will be very busy, so I should move to Gatton first , or I get a job first?

Cheers...

CL

If onion season will be good, you will find contracted work daily.