Sydney or brisbane to start WHV

Faughan1

Hi guys just looking for some advice on were would be best to start my working holiday visa.

Myself and my girlfriend will be booking our flights for auz in the next week or two but we are torn on were to start brisbane or sydney?

We are planning to arrive in Oz in late January

I've been chatting to a few mates who have been before but have different views on were to start. So I am wondering if someone could help a brother out with some advice or experience mainly including were is better for job opportunities. We're two happy like minded people looking to make enough to travel and see the country willing to do any form of job like fruit picking harvesting etc

Any extra advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Is there a specific reason you're interested in Brisbane? I didn't see that mentioned in your post. I'm starting in Sydney myself. But I don't think it really matters where you start, just whatever place you see as more of a priority. But I think most people do start in Sydney, so unless there's something specific drawing you to Brisbane, then I'd do that.

Brisbane is nice enough, but it doesn't have the iconic attractions of Sydney. I would have thought you would have a more memorable start in Sydney, unless as somebody else said there is a particular pull of Brisbane for you. Starting in Sydney will also mean you can work your way up the east coast, rather than starting in the middle. There will be more flights to Sydney too. Seems ike a no brainer to me.

Thanks guys for all your advice. Main reason to start in Brisbane was more for the fact i have a few mates in Brisbane and researching shows that there may be more harvest work in Queensland although considering we will be going on the last week of January which is summertime hopefully there will be a good amount throughout the east. It looks like we will be booking Sydney as we have thought about it and realised that Brisbane is basically half way up the east coast and we do want to make our way throughout the year too cairns so no point in travelling back down the coast to Sydney when we can start there. Booking flights this afternoon now excited :)

Depends on what you want to do, I went to Brisbane in the hope of work in one field, ended up getting work in a different field and loved it there. There's not THAT much in the way of sights to see etc, but it's a great city. After spending 5 months there I've got a little bit of a longing to go back there!

Depends on what you want to do, I went to Brisbane in the hope of work in one field, ended up getting work in a different field and loved it there. There's not THAT much in the way of sights to see etc, but it's a great city. After spending 5 months there I've got a little bit of a longing to go back there!

Brisbane itself isn't the most exciting for sights but on its doorstep are some great places to visit as a backpacker

Thanks guys for all your advice. Main reason to start in Brisbane was more for the fact i have a few mates in Brisbane and researching shows that there may be more harvest work in Queensland although considering we will be going on the last week of January which is summertime hopefully there will be a good amount throughout the east. It looks like we will be booking Sydney as we have thought about it and realised that Brisbane is basically half way up the east coast and we do want to make our way throughout the year too cairns so no point in travelling back down the coast to Sydney when we can start there. Booking flights this afternoon now excited :)

Break your journey with a stopover, or two, or three, even. Maybe join the YHA and book a hostel for the first week or two. There are a number around Central station, both YHA and private. 'Bounce' is one that comes to mind. There is a YHA one in The Rocks, which I think is good, and there are plenty of hostels around Kings Cross too, if you prefer there.

1st February is a bit like arriving in England on 1st August, and given how pleasant Sydney autumn is, you should enjoy plenty of warm weather still. The schools are all back by then too, are most of the people who take their holidays at that time. If you have never worked in a bar, now is the time to build up a bit of experience, because you can often get that kind of work in OZ. You will need to do your 'RSA - Responsible Service of Alcohol' when you get here though. And if you can do barista work, that is another avenue for you, given how popular coffee is here.