Questions about backpacking

canada

Hi there I am new to this but here is what is happening, My self and my friend (we are both 22 Year old Males) and we will be moving from Canada to Australia in August 2014 with our WHV. Our plan is to start of in Sydney and stay there for a couple of months, So we were just wondering how hard is it to find a place to stay that is not to over priced and how the situation with getting a job? We were also wondering if there is anything that should be done before we arrive? I appreciate all of the help and support

Hi there I am new to this but here is what is happening, My self and my friend (we are both 22 Year old Males) and we will be moving from Canada to Australia in August 2014 with our WHV. Our plan is to start of in Sydney and stay there for a couple of months, So we were just wondering how hard is it to find a place to stay that is not to over priced and how the situation with getting a job? We were also wondering if there is anything that should be done before we arrive? I appreciate all of the help and support

Book into a backpackers hostel. Check the reviews on TripAdvisor.com first, though! It's worth looking for one that offers smaller (4 bed) dorms as you may be there a while. Flats in Sydney are horrendously expensive. Most permanent residents live way out in the burbs for that reason, but on a WHV you don't want to do that - you want to be where the action is. That means staying in or near the Eastern Suburbs beaches (Coogee, Bondi, Randwick, Bronte etc), or at a pinch, the Inner West (Glebe, Annandale etc). Your best bet will be to stay in the backpackers and hope to make connections with others who want to share.

Keep an eye on hostel and supermarket notice boards and look at gumtree searching 'short term' and you should find a decent room share, should be cheaper in the long run but staying in a hostel to start is a good way to meet people.

Before you arrive just make sure to book a good few nights in a hostel, get your insurance sorted and possibly set up your bank account.

Also check if your hostel does airport pickup and get their address, map and number so your ready for a taxi/train if not.