Phone contracts

IsaacShaw13

optus network are cheap.

telstra are expensive.

optus share their network with other providors. offering very cheap deals.

as a rule, if you live in a built up area towns cities etc, go with optus or others & save your cash.

if you move into a more out of the way place, go for telstra.

as an example 1gb data only, is $25 a month on telstra

for $18 vaya (on the optus network) will give you $650 of talk, unlimited sms, 1.5Gb of data and a *partridge in a pear tree.

*limit of 0 per customer.

Depends If you need calls, texts within Aus or outside of, data etc? Boost is good for Data but no calls outside of Aus.

Optus does a social sim. $30 month for free Facebook and Twitter, ebay and linked in. 500mb data, 200 mins in and out of Aus, free aus mins and calls, $30 worth of credit for texts anywhere. $10 for 1gb data. That for me gives me the bet way to stay in contact with home and Aus connectivity with enough data if I get an extra $10 a month.

we have vodafone $30 monthly prepaid http://www.vodafone.com.au/personal gives us $450 credit which you can also use for international calls also. They also do a $20 365 day recharge if you dont make many calls but want the use of a phone etc. Trying to get anything with a decent data package is expensive. We had to get Landline broadband ASAP to solve this

if you are on a whv you will be lucky to get a contract. The companies tend to offer 12 and 24 month contracts and you need to show evidence of your visa and with a whv they dont tend to do them.

payg sims, are just as good. they offer plans for each amount you top up.

So I most likely wouldn't be able to get a 12-month contract with Telstra on a 1-year WHV? I was looking at that as it works out to be a little cheaper than the regular month-to-month plan. Either way, Telstra is more expensive but seems to be the most reliable.

It's only worth parting with the extra cash for Telstra if you plan to spend a lot of time in remote areas. Otherwise Optus will cover you. OH is on Telstra (boost) and I'm on optus and I'd say the only time he had a signal and I didn't was a few days driving through the out back, and even then, he only get it near small towns.

if you get a pay as you go you can swap and change, they only last a month or whenever you use up the credit. I went onto boost for a while when they were doing 3gb data and went back to optus when they changed it.

Boost for instance have 'free calls' rather than credit so couldn't call or text UK. Look out for that. You want UK inclusive free calls/texts or x$ credit otherwise you're paying again for a package to get overseas calls.

Edited by Britpop

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Vodafone is the best network when it comes to price. They also have great international rates with free texts abroad etc. Well worth a look.

Vodafone are terrible out there. I met a guy who worked there and he even said don't use vodafone. I had optus and it was great, PAYG, but they aren't really PAYG as the money you top up only lasts a month, so it's basically a contract but without the fact you're stuck with it.