WHV Processing Time/Approval Rate

dissolvedgirl

Hi all,

Just a general query really. Was wondering if anyone's application for a WHV is ever rejected, and how long they generally take?

I'm heading over (hopefully!!) with the OH in November, and wanted to get into tourism/reception/customer service work.

Thanks in advance! :)

Helen

Both mine and my girlfriends at the time took about 3 days. And I don't know of anyone that has been rejected. Just as long as you meet all the criteria. Although I know of someone who was deported because she forgot which farm she'd worked on for her second year visa!!!

I applied for mine last night and haven't heard back yet, i'm worried in case i get knocked back because of a couple of silly little convictions in 2008 and 2010. :dull: Fingers crossed its nothing to worry about and i get accepted! Would be absolutely devastated to not get in as i've been dying to hit Oz forever!

I applied for mine last night and haven't heard back yet, i'm worried in case i get knocked back because of a couple of silly little convictions in 2008 and 2010. :dull: Fingers crossed its nothing to worry about and i get accepted! Would be absolutely devastated to not get in as i've been dying to hit Oz forever!

Pretty sure they don't check convictions for a WHV Kyle, so you should be good.

let us know how you get on?

Pretty sure they don't check convictions for a WHV Kyle, so you should be good.

let us know how you get on?

I was told that but i wouldn't want to risk not putting them in and getting booted out for visa fraud! :-/ my mate got in fine and his convictions were worse than mine, yeah i will post here when i hear back! :)

I've never heard of anyone being rejected unless they have serious convictions. I think the general rule of thumb is if you are sentenced to 12 months or more in prison. Don't quote me on that though.

I applied for a WHV about 3-4 years ago, for various reasons I never actually used it. Mine was granted in about 12 hours.

My brother is going on a WHV in September and his took about 4-6 hours. (We think. He was asleep while it was granted.)

I wouldn't worry, if you meet the eligibility criteria and have no major convictions, you will get the visa. Have an amazing time! It is till a goal of mine to go out on one eventually. :D

Thank you ball for your very encouraging replies! :)

I'm just a bit of a worrier, and thought I'd maybe be turned down for the type of work I put down I was looking for etc. Just waiting for the funds now, so should hopefully be applying in the next few weeks! How much did all of your WHV's cost? Is it the same across the board?

And good luck kylemac! I hope it comes through for you :)

I'm sure it's the same cost across the board, A$420. Which cost around £220 I think from the exchange rate.

This might be a dumb question, but there are no medical checks etc involved in the WHV are there? I know there are with the other more permanent Visas.

Just checking :)

This might be a dumb question, but there are no medical checks etc involved in the WHV are there? I know there are with the other more permanent Visas.

Just checking :)

I don't remember there being any medical checks when I filled out mine. However there might be a section around health - I honestly can't remember since I wouldn't have put anything in that field.

If you're of good health and good character there's no reason why you wouldn't get the visa afaik.

I don't remember there being any medical checks when I filled out mine. However there might be a section around health - I honestly can't remember since I wouldn't have put anything in that field.

If you're of good health and good character there's no reason why you wouldn't get the visa afaik.

Cheers :)

And another potential dumb question! Is the Visa valid from the day you step into the country, or form the date you plan to travel? I.e. if I put that I'm gonna fly 10th November, but actually book my flights for a week later, is the Visa just valid from when I enter the country?

The visa starts the moment you step into the country, not the date you filled in to say when you might arrive. However once the clock starts on the visa there's no way to stop it.

It's not a dumb question though, I wondered the same thing and I just trawled the internet before finding my answer. (Then realised it specifies this on my visa confirmation email.. doh!)

Just want to add a bit on to your health check question. You shouldn't have to go for a health check up unless you've been in a country for 3+ months that has a risk of TB within the last 5 years. My cousin applied for his WHV last year and he'd been to Thailand a couple years before for 4 months and they requested he have a chest x-ray before being approved.

But if none of that applies to you, have an amazing time!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Although the application process is fairly straight forward, when it asks for 'country of passport' the only option it would give a UK citizen is BRITISH-CITIZEN . Im a little concerned as i would have expected it to say Britain , or United Kingdom as opposed to BRITISH-CITIZEN for 'country of passport'.

Is this correct ? Its the only option to select but I want to make sure i do it right ! Anyone else find this ?