Moving in October on a WHV - Advice please?

SamLocky

Hey I'm Sam, moving to Australia on the 15th October for a year maybe two

23, going alone and never done anything like this before so a little nervous! (Nothing keeping me in the UK right now so thought it would be the best time to do some travelling)

Money wise I'm pretty much covered as I'll be selling my car/other possessions before arriving.

Been approved for a WHV but I'm pretty lost as where to actually start. I've been told to start in Perth without any real reason but I'm looking at Melbourne/Sydney (NYE in Sydney looks amazing)

Where is usually the best to do agricultural work? I'll be wanting to get it done early on so I'm not worrying about it at the back end of my year.

Glad I've found this forum, everyone seems nice and helpful!

Hey there, I am heading out to Perth on my own arriving 5th October and also staying for 1-2 years maybe more, will be selling the car soon to top up the travel fund then hoping to buy a small camper and go for one hell of drive.

I need to get my regional work out of the way to start with so I can extend my visa (turn 31 in March) - if you want to work near Perth, Swan Valley is ideal or Gingin is also very close but not sure what vacancies are likely to be around at that time of year.

Hi SamLocky and Mexpirate,

I am also heading to Australia but in November. I am thinking to apply for the WHV as well, only because I can't find a sponsor for work. Does anyone know if you can get sponsored while on the WHV and then stay for longer?

Thanks

That's my plan all being well - or alternatively you can apply for residency via the skills route if applicable. 6-8 months travelling will leave me 16 months to find an employer that's prepared to sponsor me, or find an Aussie girl of course in the first year and then no problems :) If that looks unlikely I will try for points based skills application but my skills are only on the secondary list so not sure of the chances and also costs a lot.

Ideally I would start in Adelaide, Carins or Darwin then do a loop round to take in brisbane, sydney, Melbourne, adelaide, Uluru then maybe fly to Perth. Having said that, no problem starting anywhere and it's nice to land and see the sights you expect in Aus. That time if year Adelaide would be my shout then to Melbs and Sydney for NYE. But you'll kinda have to take the rough with the smith weather wise.

Sponsorship wise, yep you can find a sponsor on WHV but of course if you fit the criteria

Hi Sam/Mexpirate, I'm also moving out to Oz this year on a WHV. Arriving into Perth on the 5th of August and going to stay with friends in the Joondalup area. I'm in the same boat, looking to get some kind of agricultural work done so I can stay for the second year, but I suppose my main focus is actually finding any job first.

Hi Sam/Mexpirate, I'm also moving out to Oz this year on a WHV. Arriving into Perth on the 5th of August and going to stay with friends in the Joondalup area. I'm in the same boat, looking to get some kind of agricultural work done so I can stay for the second year, but I suppose my main focus is actually finding any job first.

You got any plans to travel around once the regional work is sorted? I won't be far from you when I am in Perth so let me know if you fancy grabbing a brew once I get out there - maybe swap tips if either of us can track down any promising agricultural work, really hoping to find something with a few vacancies so I get a chance to meet other travellers rather than ending up being on my own on some scary farm in the middle of nowhere or something.

I will actually be flying out to Perth next week (I seriously can't believe how quickly that has come round!). Part of my plan is to look for regional work in WA before basing around Perth, although I'm aware it's the time of year when there really isn't much around there.

Hopefully though I can get some top tips to share when I'm there.

Yeh I'd quite like to see spend some time in Perth, Brisbane and then the Gold Coast. Of course I'll need more money for all this so I'm hoping to maybe work even for the first 6-7 months (as boring as this may sound lol) and see what happens to be honest. Sounds like a plan, don't really fancy my chances by myself on some random farm either haha!