Vaccinations in Australia?

ChrisJD

Hey guys,

I'll be headed off on my WHV in Oz later on this year, but I was hoping for some advice for after I leave.

Once I finish my year in Oz, I plan to go backpacking around South East Asia for around 6 months (funds permitting) and I was wondering if I am able to get the necessary vaccinations while in Australia, or if I should get them before I leave for Oz?

Thanks.

you can get vaccinations in Aus, but it will be required full payment. I had a tetanus shot here and about $30 in 8 years ago. UK citizen maybe covered some vaccinations under medical agreement between countries, but you should check.

Im not sure if the vaccination will work for you over a year or more...maybe some only work for a few months?

Edited by kayinperth

get them from the UK, least they will be free.

I assume you mean on the NHS? I'm not actually from the mainland UK so I won't be covered by the NHS so I'd have to pay for them anyway.

I just wanted to know if it was possible to get them while in Oz under medicare or something?

I assume you mean on the NHS? I'm not actually from the mainland UK so I won't be covered by the NHS so I'd have to pay for them anyway.

I just wanted to know if it was possible to get them while in Oz under medicare or something?

Vaccinations for Australia..Why?....I wouldnt get any vaccinations for anything, as I dont trust them or their inventors...I recently worked in Mozambique, east Africa and I refused any vaccinations or malarial medication..

Oh, well in that case just get it in Asia,my guess it will be much cheaper.

In the same way that if an Australian was travelling and needed them, then yes you could get them here but I suspect they will be more expensive. Not all are free in the UK (if you were there) anyway though, different travel clinics can charge different prices too, I.e. Some you can get done at Boots in store.

It is worth making sure your tetanus is up to date anyway before you come if you're planning farm work, in an ideal world.

edit: looks like it my be cheaper in Aus if the following is correct and depending what you need.

http://www.boots.com/en/Pharmacy-Health/Health-shop/Travel-health/Travel-vaccinations-and-advice/

http://www.headingoverseas.com.au/travel-immunisation-costs/

Edited by Britpop

In the same way that if an Australian was travelling and needed them, then yes you could get them here but I suspect they will be more expensive. Not all are free in the UK (if you were there) anyway though, different travel clinics can charge different prices too, I.e. Some you can get done at Boots in store.

It is worth making sure your tetanus is up to date anyway before you come if you're planning farm work, in an ideal world.

edit: looks like it my be cheaper in Aus if the following is correct and depending what you need.

http://www.boots.com/en/Pharmacy-Health/Health-shop/Travel-health/Travel-vaccinations-and-advice/

http://www.headingoverseas.com.au/travel-immunisation-costs/

Those links are really useful, thanks! I was expecting the vaccinations to be a lot more for some reason.

I'm not entirely sure how much I'd be charged here, as I would have to go in for a 'Travel Consulation' first and then they'll tell me what I may need. But unfortunately they don't list individual prices which would be a lot more useful as I'm pretty sure I know what I'll need.