2nd year visa/WHV/fruit picking/farm jobs??

lilmiss125

Hey!

We're currently in cairns looking for farm work/fruit picking to qualify for a 2nd year WHV.

Does anyone have any hints/tips?

Is it necessary these days to subscribe to an agency and they find the work?

Is cairns the best place to be in etc? (We've been told it's just hitting the busy picking season...we're yet to see this though!)

We've heard a lot about Innisfail/Tablelands but it's just impossible to find work.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated! We're literally ready and waiting to get going as soon as work comes up!

Lilmiss125 :)

You should try where I am in Gaton. I worked 6 days last week, 5 days the week before and all of this week. A lot of backpacker staying at the caravan park. Some jobs pay good $17-20/hr others are contracted, so can vary.

The town is quite nice and only 2hours away from the GC. Work is all contracted and not fixed. Worth a shot coming here.

Hi lilmiss Tingtongman is probably away busy picking pumpkins or whatever it is he is doing now lol! Have a look at the bottom of his answer to you - he has a guide and a blog. These should answer anyquestions for you.

Sounds like a brilliant start, thank you very much tingtongman!!

How did you go about arranging your work? Was it through an agency?

Where is your accomodation etc?

Thanks for your help :)

Not for Gatton you dont. I stay in a share house, but they have a caravan park which is a bit of a dive but full of backpackers. Won't be finding finding a place to live, a job may be a little bit tougher.

Key is to build a good rapport with whichever contractor you work for so they keep giving you work.

I have been in contact with a 'Mayla' in Gatton who provides you with shared accommodation and work, so thanks tingtongman!!

you mention in your blogs about tools etc, what should we bring with us?

Not too sure I'm loving the ideas of scrambling around with aggressive people in order to pick a decent amount of fruit...but we shall see!

Everyone keeps advising us to use the harvest trail website...there is NOTHING on there, I've even rang up and they have said there is nothing either. How are you expected to get your 3 months work under your belt if it is so IMPOSSIBLE to find!?

And those that tell you that there is work either want money up front or promise you work/accommodation and you just know as soon as you get there you'll have a bed, fair enough, but no work for weeks and you'll waste all your savings on rent!!!

The government needs to do more actively, rather than letting 'agencies' rip us off.

We're even ringing farmers directly with no avail.

We've been told to stay in Cairns as that is our best bet...losing the will now though slowly!

I got 2 jobs from the harvest trail. one of them lasted me 3 months. Never heard of "Mayla" but be careful of anyone who says you must stay in their accommodation if you want to work. Can be a scam sometimes, where you dont see your bond returned and the "work" never starts.

If you head to the caravan park, you should be able to get evertyhing you need their, sometimes around 4-5am, vans come up wanting people for work. You can just jump in. I only have the number to my contractor at the moment and hes not looking for anyone at the moment.

Hey!

We're currently in cairns looking for farm work/fruit picking to qualify for a 2nd year WHV.

Does anyone have any hints/tips?

Is it necessary these days to subscribe to an agency and they find the work?

Is cairns the best place to be in etc? (We've been told it's just hitting the busy picking season...we're yet to see this though!)

We've heard a lot about Innisfail/Tablelands but it's just impossible to find work.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated! We're literally ready and waiting to get going as soon as work comes up!

Lilmiss125 :)

Hi,

We need help on the fruit farm I am at in south Australia. All work is for food and accommodation. All days stayed count for your second year visa. About 8 of us here working at the moment.

Nice group of people.

https://www.facebook.com/fruittreefarming

No fees. No agency. Real farm!

Email me if you want lucyharris567@yahoo.co.uk

:)

Hey tingtongman, how is the work going in Gatton? We are looking to go to the caravan park you mentioned tomorrow! That 'Mayla' I mentioned...after a bit more research she doesn't have very good reviews and has a bad reputation in Gatton, so thanks for the heads up on scammers :)!

Hey tingtongman, how is the work going in Gatton? We are looking to go to the caravan park you mentioned tomorrow! That 'Mayla' I mentioned...after a bit more research she doesn't have very good reviews and has a bad reputation in Gatton, so thanks for the heads up on scammers :)!

Yeah its okay currently, you just have to find a contractor who you can build a good report with and you will get work often.

one tip is to stay away from cherry tomato work, you will see a rather large lady come to the caravan park most morning asking people to pick cherry tomatoes. She charges $10 for a lift, and you wont make more than $8-12 ph, if your lucky

I'm heading there on Tuesday I think! Exceptionally skint after a trip up North so hopefully I can find something quick. Would like to head to Bowen after a coup of weeks as I've heard work should be coming up there, but we'll see how it goes...

best visa work i have ever been involved in has been working for Cooperative Bulk Handling in WA. The job for girls are Sampler and Weighbridge and for guys is site work. It's long days, hot and hard work but the money is great and if you can stick it out working in the sticks for up to 3 months to do the harvest then you will have a great time! They are currently recruiting on their website and will look for staff to fill what places that they dont get from the site by using JobShop in Perth. Harvest starts roughly first week in November with 2 weeks training (for girls) before you start.

I know November is a while away but if you have the time to take a break and do visa work later then I would strongly advise this. Its a gem of a job!