Flight problems

Nathan87

Hi everyone this is my first post although I have been reading posts for a few weeks now,

I was wondering if anyone knew what the situation with return flights is as I am planning on flying to oz in August for a year but all flight websites will only allow a return up until may 2015, and I don't really want to book a one way ticket as it works out more expensive

look forward to your advice

thanks

There are only two things you can do, as it is simply not possible to buy a return so far out. So you have to either buy the one way ticket, or you have to but a ticket with a flexible return. The cheapest economy will probably have no flexibility, so you need to read the conditions carefully. It could be that buying a more flexible ticket pushes the cost up more than two one ways though.

Hi rupert, thanks for your reply, they don't do open returns anymore so you have to actually give a return date, am I right in thinking that say 6months in I could ring the flight operator and get the flight moved to later in the year?

Book through a travel agent, we did the same thing. Tell them what you want to do, the airline should book you on a return flight as far in the future as their system will let them with a note that you can have a free date change, and just pay the difference in fares if there is any. Our agent did this with Emirates for us.

Hi rupert, thanks for your reply, they don't do open returns anymore so you have to actually give a return date, am I right in thinking that say 6months in I could ring the flight operator and get the flight moved to later in the year?

Yes you would have to pick a date, but you make sure it is flexible so you can move it.

Also ensure that whatever is booked that the 'flight rules' allow the flexibility to eventually change has far ahead as you plan stay. Flexible does not mean indefinite, the ticket will have a maximum date for the return flight.

You will also find variations of flexibility, some allowing unlimited free changes, others where you pay for the change. Also, you may also still have to pay a difference in the fare price when you do change.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm getting very stressed with the whole flight booking, I'm worried that if I book a return flight that when I ring to change the flight dates that they will charge me a lot, and whether it might be better getting just a one way ticket, what sort of prices has everyone else been charged when changing their flight to a later date?

I'm getting very stressed with the whole flight booking, I'm worried that if I book a return flight that when I ring to change the flight dates that they will charge me a lot, and whether it might be better getting just a one way ticket, what sort of prices has everyone else been charged when changing their flight to a later date?

Just get a one way ticket. The costs to change are going to vary, as you will have to pay whatever that price is on the day.

There is very little price difference between a one way and a return. Just get a return even if you do not use it you do not lose much. I have changed flight dates numerous times - depends on airline what they charge think last time I paid £75 to change date. Didn't have to pay anything else as same flight class was available with the new date. Really nothing to stress over - as I said the difference in price is minimal. Just ensure the ticket you buy is flexible to allow date changes.

This is a common problem and one that I face every year. However there is an easy solution (certainly with emirates but I've been told most other airlines do this too) Just book the return flight with the return date as late as the computer will allow you to, then immediately call the airline with your booking reference and they will add a note to your file allowing you one free change of date (as long as it is still no more than 1yr from your departure date). However remember to change the return date prior to the one you give them originally otherwise they will argue you missed the flight as you didn't advise them. As i said, i do this every year and have never had a problem.

NWM

This is a common problem and one that I face every year. However there is an easy solution (certainly with emirates but I've been told most other airlines do this too) Just book the return flight with the return date as late as the computer will allow you to, then immediately call the airline with your booking reference and they will add a note to your file allowing you one free change of date (as long as it is still no more than 1yr from your departure date). However remember to change the return date prior to the one you give them originally otherwise they will argue you missed the flight as you didn't advise them. As i said, i do this every year and have never had a problem.

NWM

Yep! that's the way to do it, there may be a small fee with some airlines though but generally not.

I'm a travel agent. You will be able to book with a number of airlines that allow changes - as previous posters have said it will usually just mean that you pay a bit extra. Singapore Airlines are one of the few airlines that offer the first change free of charge - most others will charge an admin fee. Give Flight Centre or STA a call and they'll point you in the right direction.

Thanks for all your replies, Keith/Linda what do I say when I ring up to get them to allow a free flight change?

You just phone the airlines office in the country you are in and ask away, if they say it will charge a fee just try and talk (nicely) out of it, saying something like "but when I booked it they said it would be ok to change it" some offices might charge for their self funding reasons.

Remember you can only change your return flight, to change your outbound flight usually means a cancellation and bigger fees/costs are involved.

I am not aware of any airline that lets you alter a date for more than one year beyond the date of purchase. I am willing to be corrected, but I'm not sure that one year from the date of first travel is going to be possible.

Although some airlines do charge almost as much for one way as single, some have a fairer pricing policy. From memory of my migration flight some 4 years ago, one way fares were reasonable (i.e. only slightly motre than half the return fare) with Air New Zealand, Qatar Airlines and some of the other Middle Eastern airlines. Shop around and you might surprise yourself.

I am not aware of any airline that lets you alter a date for more than one year beyond the date of purchase. I am willing to be corrected, but I'm not sure that one year from the date of first travel is going to be possible.

sort of correct, maximum is 12 months from date of your outbound flight, not the purchase date, remember you could have purchased the ticket some 11 months before you actually 1st fly, and your return flight could be up to 12 months after that.