Christmas/New Year in Sydney

ChrisJD

Hey Guys,

I'm headed to Oz in October and will be spending my first few months in Sydney, and spending Christmas/New Year there also.

What sort of things are there to do around Christmas time, e.g. events, parties, activities etc. I've done a google search which hasn't come up with many results, apart from information about last Christmas.

The same goes for New Year, what sort of things are there to do around then?

Another question is about accommodation. What would be your advice on where to stay, hostels or renting a cheap apartment? I was thinking I'd probably be in an apartment by then because it will work out slightly cheaper, please correct me if I'm wrong.

We rented through airbnb it was a fortune but cheaper than a hostel as they can hike their prices and usually have to stay 14 days over the whole period. Public transport is pretty good for NYE.

Carols in the Domain before Christmas is lovely, google that, the most Christmassy thing going and you can make a day of it in the park. There's usually a 'festival' on bondi for backpackers on Xmas day which is dance music type and and all the backpackers head to the beach too if weather permits! Boxing Day you can get into Randwick (I think it's called that) races free on a UK passport or watch the start of the Sydney - Hobart yacht races from the harbour. NYE is crazy busy for the fireworks and I'd book now if you fancy doing something special I.e picnic in the park to get a good view of the bridge. There are various viewpoints that are Not ticketed but If you want somewhere with bring your own booze your options are limited, most of the best sports are alcohol free but there are some decent ones with bars too.the while if Sydney pretty much gets booked out for NYE so book ASAP!

Dont expect anything like like home though, there are some street lights and Xmas trees about but not in the scale of the UK by any means. I'd say you wouldn't really know it was Christmas if you weren't really looking out for it and the commercials in TV etc. There are a lot of work parties around and about but otherwise the streets are the same and where we were in double bay they didn't seem to to the Xmas eve or day drinks in the pub like we do where I live at home.

I'm doing the same thing, starting my WHV in October and have a loose plan of staying in Sydney through at least the new year. Let me know if you want someone to plan this with/talk to, I've done my homework. I plan on getting a hostel for the first week or so while I look for an apartment.

As far as events go, definitely different having Christmas in the summer. But there is the big NYE event in Sydney, and as someone who waited in Times Square for 20 hours for the ball drop a few years ago, I'm looking forward to Sydney's celebration as it looks to be even bigger.

Hey Jonathon, that'd be great! What sort have things did you have in mind for around Christmas? I was looking of heading to Bondi as that seems to be the place to go, especially if the weathers good! Although it looks expensive as hell for anything prepaid, I saw this thing (surfside bondi, or something like that) and they give you accommodation etc and it's like 950 aud for just 14 nights!!!

Are apartments generally quite a good price? I've really only looked in to hostels so far. I'll actually be in SEA for a couple weeks first so I'll be touching down in Sydney on the 10th.

Hey Jonathon, that'd be great! What sort have things did you have in mind for around Christmas? I was looking of heading to Bondi as that seems to be the place to go, especially if the weathers good! Although it looks expensive as hell for anything prepaid, I saw this thing (surfside bondi, or something like that) and they give you accommodation etc and it's like 950 aud for just 14 nights!!!

Are apartments generally quite a good price? I've really only looked in to hostels so far. I'll actually be in SEA for a couple weeks first so I'll be touching down in Sydney on the 10th.

I wouldn't want to live in a hostel. Sydney is super expensive, so rents are going to be expensive as well. I don't think I'll get my own apartment, probably just find someone who is looking for a roommate. Check places like Gumtree to get an idea on prices.

• 2 months later...

Anyone else have any advice on what to do around this period? There still doesn't really seem to be a lot around online for this. The only thing I've found is 'Surfside Backpackers' who do a package deal if you stay up to 14 nights. They seem to provide a lot of activites/free things during this time (for a pretty big initial cost..). They're charging $974 for a 14 night package including Christmas and New Year. Is this worth it? Or are there other alternatives?

Anyone else have any advice on what to do around this period? There still doesn't really seem to be a lot around online for this. The only thing I've found is 'Surfside Backpackers' who do a package deal if you stay up to 14 nights. They seem to provide a lot of activites/free things during this time (for a pretty big initial cost..). They're charging $974 for a 14 night package including Christmas and New Year. Is this worth it? Or are there other alternatives?

Keep in mind that New Year's in Sydney is a big deal, so yeah hostel prices are going to be outrageous during that time period. But are you really going to be staying in a hostel that long? I've just got a hostel for the first week booked until I find an apartment.

Probably not, I want to get into an apartment pretty soonish as it will work out cheaper. I figured that over christmas/new year it be a lot more social to be in a hostel with groups of other people. Maybe that's just me being worried about meeting people over there though! :P

The hostels and hotels are probably all booked up by now for Xmas/New Eve, though you could just rent a camper van and park it at Clovelly Beach car park (though I hope the council finally moves them all on this year!)

Of course, Xmas and New Year will not be like it is in the UK and why would you want it to be!?. For one thing it is high summer here, and many people take off on their holidays on or before Xmas Eve, and don't come back until after Australia Day on 26th January.

What are your options? The Xmas Day Cliche that is Bondi Beach!? Get drunk, make a fool of yourself, or worse go swimming, and need to be rescued. Actually, if you have some friends, go somewhere like Neilsen Park for Xmas Day, where there is plenty of shade, the cafe (licensed) will be open, but you can take your own stuff.

And another welcome thing about Sydney at Xmas is that unlike UK, all the buses and trains are running. I think it is the 324 bus to Watsons Bay that goes by Nielsen Park from the city.

Head off into the bush, or The Blue Mts, I don't know. It's only a couple of days. Shops like David Jones have lovely nativity scenes set up in the window of their Market St, or Castlereagh St store.

Embrace Xmas Aussie style, and don't waste your time comparing it to 'home!'

I plan on doing the same , having Xmas day a New Year's Eve in Sydney I arrive in oz 23rd September but will get to Sydney around the 10th of Oct give me a message back if you wanna plan something ?! Like apartment sharing stuff like that ??

Edited by Rossedwards1

• 5 weeks later...

Bit late to this party but from what I've seen on this post everyone has pretty similar ideas to myself and two friends! We arrive in Sydney in October (20th) and are looking to find a job as soon as possible and chill there until the New Year at least. Can't wait to meet new friends and have some awesome experiences along the way.

As there is 3 of us (all aged 23), we think finding a flat share that will accommodate all of us may be a bit difficult, therefore, if anyone wants to chat and get to know us we might be able to find a flat with one or two others for us all to share?

Just drop me a message if you'd like to chat more. Interested to here plans from other people.

Have a good time all!

If you have not booked your accomodation for the Xmas/New Eve week in Sydney, then it might be too late already, although every year, there seem to be heaps of campervans parked at Clovelly beach, supposedly illegally, but the council never moves them on.

If you have your accomodation sorted out, then maybe think about booking a 'proper' NYE party to see the fireworks, not that I've ever done it. I always fancied going down to Neilsen Park as it's one of my favourite beaches. You have to book a spot there.

I don't like crowds, and I don't like queues, so I won't be spending all day of NYE, waiting to secure the best spot to see 20 minutes of fireworks.

I guess it is fun to go to Bondi Beach for Xmas Day. I wonder if some of the hostels organise their own parties? Actually, Nielsen Park is a good spot to have a Xmas Day party, although it is more family orientated. It's a great beach, has plenty of shade, and the cafe is open all day, pretty sure it's licensed too.

1. I just checked and I think you have to apply around November to secure a space at one of the National Park managed places to watch the NYE fireworks.
  2. [h=3]Nielsen Park | Vantage Points | Sydney New Years Eve[/h]

1. http://www.sydneynewyearseve.com/vantage-points/nielsen-park/

[*]

1. Cached

[*]Similar

[*]Share

View shared post

[*]

[*]Information on the Nielsen Park vantage point for the Sydney New Year's Eve ... Fee: Ticketed event; Tickets: sa2.seatadvisor.com/sabo/servlets/TicketRequest?

[*]

1. [h=3]Fireworks Vantage Points Map - Sydney New Year's Eve 2014[/h]

1. http://www.sydneynewyearseve.com/vantage-points/

1. Cached

Find the best spot to watch the Sydney New Year's Eve fireworks on the official vantage ... 41, Nielsen Park, Steele Point Road at Nielsen Park, Vaucluse, 2030.‎Bradfield Park - ‎Blues Point Reserve - ‎Mrs Macquaries Point - ‎Goat Island

[*]

1. [h=3]NYE in Sydney Harbour | NSW National Parks and Wildlife ...[/h]

1. http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/whats-on/new-years-eve

1. Cached

Celebrate New Years Eve in Sydney with the best views of the NYE fireworks display ... Celebrate New Year's Eve at Steele Point in Nielsen Park, with amazing ...

Bit late to this party but from what I've seen on this post everyone has pretty similar ideas to myself and two friends! We arrive in Sydney in October (20th) and are looking to find a job as soon as possible and chill there until the New Year at least. Can't wait to meet new friends and have some awesome experiences along the way.

As there is 3 of us (all aged 23), we think finding a flat share that will accommodate all of us may be a bit difficult, therefore, if anyone wants to chat and get to know us we might be able to find a flat with one or two others for us all to share?

Just drop me a message if you'd like to chat more. Interested to here plans from other people.

Have a good time all!

Hey, I'll be landing in Sydney on 11th November. Got myself booked up in Sydney Central until the following week, then I'll be looking for a flat share as well. If you girls are still in the same boat, give me a shout! Even if you're not, it may be nice just to meet some new people?

Hi Chris!

i am also spending Christmas and New year in Sydney and have NO IDEA what my plans are whist there or after New Year. Luckily enough Im staying with my friend in Sydney over the holiday period, however I am keen to get to hostels to meet new people also, they're just pretty expensive though :/... have you had any more luck with your plans over December?

Lauren

Hiii!

Im flying solo to Sydney in November and am staying with a friend on christmas/new year, I would like to meet some people though and would be interested in flat sharing as I am looking for some bar jobs ect, kind of similar to you guys. What is your plan after new year? I am kind of just winging it and seeing if I find work in December!?

lauren xx

Hi everyone,

We arrive in Sydney on 1st October and we're unsure what we're going to do for Xmas/NY too. There are three of us and we're looking at sorting shared accomodation after we spend our first week at Bounce...

If anyone would like to get in touch let me know!

Ta,

Tom

Hi everyone,

We arrive in Sydney on 1st October and we're unsure what we're going to do for Xmas/NY too. There are three of us and we're looking at sorting shared accomodation after we spend our first week at Bounce...

If anyone would like to get in touch let me know!

Ta,

Tom

Bounce is in a great location, on Chalmers Street, right outside Central station. You come up the stairs at either of the Chalmers Street entrances, and turn left or right, depending which entrance/exit you use. and it's no more than 100 metres walk.

There is an excellent train service from International (and Domestic) to the City, although it is irritatingly expensive, as the airport stations are privately owned, despite being on the regular line. $16 single, I think, so if there are three or four of you, you may as well get a cab! I think my friend Alex said she paid $40 plus to Surry Hills (the 'burb where Bounce is. I must check the address and see if it is 'technically' Surry Hills.(I get the train past the airport if I'm going to my brother's place and the regular fare is $5 or $6, not that I'm paying regular fares any more with my 'Seniors' Card' $2.50 anywhere on the Sydney network, except the bloody airport!

You can walk to the city from Bounce. I did it on Sunday arvo with my friend Alex and we live further away. We went through tunnel under Central to George St. We actually ended up walking to Circular Quay, though with many stops in between. It's two or three stops on the train and the bus is outside on the street too. You can get to most other places on public transport as the bus stops are are all around Central depending upon which direction. The tram line is at Central too, and country train lines and interstate buses, so all in all, you are in a superb location.

I was in one of my local pubs - the Royal Exhibition - just up the road from Bounce, last night, so pop in and look for the oldest bloke in the pub! Bounce has a rooftop bar I believe, plus a pub on the ground floor. There are loads of places all around to eat and drink. Prince Alfred Park is good too, has a heated swimming pool, tennis and basketball courts. BBQs.

Hi Everyone,

Bit late on the uptake here, but I am in a similar situation. Cept I am currently here in Sydney staying with friends until 2 of my mates come over in December. Stupidly we hadn't booked anything accommodation wise when we booked our flights, and now that we are looking for accommodation it's proving impossible. Hostels are extortinate and have silly date restrictions which don't work for us, so we have been endlessly searching airbnb for an apartment for at least a week, which is also not proving to be very fruitful either. Does any1 have any alternative suggestions, websites to check? or if any1 wants to connect and all get a place together that would be awesome too. Send me a message or add me on facebook 'Aduke Thomson'.

Seems lots of us are in the same position.

Mary Rose you mentioned renting a campervan, any suggestions what would be the best website to check, or place to go?

Any help suggestions are grately appreciated, we are freaking out a little here.

Just Google hiring campervan. I see them around Sydney. One mob rents out vans covered in graffiti. Maybe consider looking for accommodation away from City? Penrith perhaps where I work. Are you finding it hard to find a place now or over Xmas New Year? if it is the latter then maybe just get out of Sydney. Go to Newcastle or Wollongong or go into the Bush. You might find accommodation in Boarding houses. Look in Herald or walk streets say in Redfern near me where I've seen rooms to let. Pubs do accommodation too.