Is Harvest Trail even worth looking at?

dojapan

I've been following it for weeks, and found nothing suitable in Queensland. Then this afternoon there is a new post for citrus pickers, which I thought was perfect. The post showed only 1 page view and it couldn't have been more than a few hours old, but when I call the number they said all positions were already full. HOW? I seriously doubt they ever had openings. I suspect most of the jobs that get posted there are out of date crap. Has anyone ever actually found work on that site? WHV in QLD is turning out to be more like living the semi-unemployed and semi-homeless lifestyle, which frankly, I can do more easily back in the states.

Yeah its pretty rough these days for them kind of jobs, if a post is older than 10mintues, forget it about it its gone. (this goes for unskilled farm jobs).

The harvest trail is worth looking at, as a guide, it shows you what is growing where in what months, so you can move to said town and increase your chance of getting a job.

Some farmers are still old school, they dont use gumtree or the internet, but rather word of mouth in towns. So it can pay off big when you visit a town in the harvest trail. Never go to a town to far deep into the bush, usually 1-3 hours is fine, because if you find nothing after a few weeks its easy to leave. Dont travel 7-8 hours inland though.

This has been a moment of clarity for me: I think I've seen about as much of Australia as I want to.

I had one of the best times of my life here, but this trip has been a personal failure since I haven't gotten rich or even found reliable work as I originally intended. No reliable jobs here, time to return home. Spring time is just around the corner in the north, and I feel great excitement for the journey ahead. I tentatively plan to do a backpacking trip in the Rocky Mountains and then relocate to a Latin American country for 6 months to practice my Spanish. But first, I just have to go to NSW and see how dumb Nimbin is. Should I even waste the petrol on that?