day to day life on a WHV

ScotOz2014

hi there :)

iv always been curious about what kind of things to do when im in melbourne, when iv been granted a working holiday visa. obviously the main reason i want to go to australia is to travel around a bit, find a part time job, and ofcourse get a job working on a farm to add another year to my visa.

im just worried about how to go about spending each day and the sort of stuff to do every day that can somehow keep my expenditure to a minimum.

if anyone can help me i'd really much appreciate it :)

My advice so far after only being in Oz for 2 weeks is don't think everything will go to plan lol. We stayed in Melbourne for just over a week, and found everyone we met was saying work is dry due to so many people being there because of sport and festivals etc going on, so do your research on such things as that. We then went to sydney and stayed in bondi and found accommodation was either expensive or dives, this was because of the mardigrar festival going on this weekend. So we've now gone up to the Gold Coast and staying in our own apartment that's mint for the price of a room on air bnb in sydney. Obviously sydney is going to be expensive but just be prepared to use a lot funds if you have no work while staying there. As for things to do, just chill at the beach, in the common areas at hostels and meet people staying with you, plenty of sights to see, melbourne has a nice CBD with some nice park areas etc. St kilda is quite funky, you'll have enough to do to keep you occupied for a while, then if you get bored or can't get work, just book a flight and move on. So cheap to fly, but don't get to see the sights when travelling on the road!

If you get a chance read tingtonman post on his current travels on his WHV makes very interesting read and he has a lot of practical information. He has a spreadsheet somewhere on there with how much he spent and where he spent it in a month.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/backpacking-whv/198016-trip-reports-guy-whv.html

A lot of it is down to what you expect to do but come with as much money as you can bring. If you are someone who wants to go out and have a few beers every night its going to be really costly also depends what type of work your happy doing. My only advice would be do plenty of research and make sure you enjoy yourself :)

Thanks so much "Fordy87" and "bell123321". i will take all of this information into account when i head over :) is there festivals on all the time in melbourne or is it just a specific time every year it happens? (Fordy87).

"bell123321", how much money would you recommend i take? i've read the details about the WHV and it states i should have a minimum of $5000 in my account? do they even check this and would this be enough to keep me going until i find a part time job?

also, how hard is it to find part time work, even when festivals and stuff like that aren't on? i have 4 year experience working in a bar so im thinking that would be the main route id head down :)

I've heard many times think of a figure that you think your need then double it. They don't always check that you have the minimum amount asked (think it also helps if you have a return ticket), however the last thing you want is to get caught out if you don't have the required funds so better being safe and having it.

4 years bar work will be in your favour, just make sure you get your RSA certificate as this is a requirement to work in a bar. (responsible service of alcohol). I believe you can pay to do it online before you arrive over (isn't expensive from what I've seen).

Hope I have been of some help :)

thank you bell123321. iv just had a look at the RSA courses online (RSA VIC online) and it says they only accept in class RSA training. this was stated on http://www.onlinersa.com.au/

can you tell me what this means??, because im looking at going to melbourne for the start of my 12 months

Check this site out gives good information: http://www.onlinersa.com.au/

Just checked and your right VIC doesn't accept the online course :( WA,SA,QLD,ACT and NT do accept the online course though.

Here is a list of all the places you can get your RSA in VIC: http://assets.justice.vic.gov.au/vcglr/resources/db9b2bdd-3935-4ec1-b28a-695beaf343ad/rsa_training_providersjan14.pdf you have to do the training face to face in VIC. They start at $45 average $60 and takes 4 hours to complete in VIC.

well the top tips for not spending money in OZ would be

Drinking : be smart when you go out, buy some wine before hand, do some internet research and see what clubs/bars offer happyhours or free entry on what days, you can end up saving about 20-60$ her per night

eating: if you get a job, make your own lunch, otherwise you could be forking out $10-20 a day for food. It all adds up.

Live close to your work, so transportation costs are not so high, or buy a bike that you can sell when your gone.

I have not been to Melbourne but im sure there are plenty of free things to see and do. Even stuff like playing tennis or joining a gym I dont think are too expensive. From my own research the biggest problem people on a WHV have is spending there money on booze and food. My guess is when they all get together its a bit of social pressure to get drunk and hammered, so they all end up spending alot of money.

Buy toiletries from discount shops like crazy clarks.

Stay in house shares over hostels, they work out cheaper in the long run. houseshare in brisbane is appox $100-150 week while hostels are like $25+/day then you have to pay for internet too.

I'm sure there are many more but this is all I can think of as i have not ate breakfast yet.

You need to put effort and a bit of discipline in to save money here, its not easy but its not rocket science either.

I went out in Sydney the other week ill give a appox breakdown of my night out.

-me and my mate buy two bottles of wine from the local (not goon) $10 each

- I check to see what public transport runs 24/7 otherwise Id stay out untill 6am and catch the bus back. Thankfully Syndey does have a 24/7 bus service.

- Bus into Sydney cbd $4.60

- I managed to find a very nice bar called that has an extended happy hour on thursdays. I spent $7 i think

- Went to the Ivy club, apparently meant to be quite popular, free entry on Thursday, jam packed. $7~ in drinks on their, thanksfully at this point im tottally hammered off the wine I dont need to buy more

- bus home at 3am $4.60.

so about $35 for a night out which I think is pretty good in Syndey CBD. Could of easily been $120+ if I didn't check buses and caught a taxi back, or went to another club that you must pay cover or weekends. I had a great time too, just pays to do some research some nights.

Edited by tingtongman

Pretty much agree with tingtongman there! You can live cheap in Australia if you just use common sense. Unfortunately I haven't used much at times haha. I've been in Melbourne since November more or less and managed to spend a lit of money but I've enjoyed the city. Thankfully I found great work on a. farm in the Yarra valley (not massive pay but enough and enjoyable working environment and great boss). My advice flrsaving money on food in melbourne would be do your food shopping at queen vic market... Dirt cheap for meat and good quality. If you plan on staying in Melbourne a while get a flatshare rather than spending money on hostels. I'm currently in saving mode living on a caravan park near work so only spending about 130 dollars a week all in. Hopefully I can find work somewhere else soon so I can move state.

Errrm I'm not sure about if they are on all the time, but just use the internet to find out. Next thing is the Grand Prix this month. As the others have said with regards to food and drink, buy it and make it yourself, me and my partner have just done a shop,that will last a week and have spent $50 each, where as the last two weeks we have easily been spending that in 2 days on food and drink. Just be smart and work out if you can afford to live the luxury and how long it will last. Once you've got a job it's a different story as you can either save or spend more, down to what you want to do while out here.

I just found it online. Easypickings is the company, worth liking the FB page and applying on the website when you get here. They're not taking anyone on at the moment but most people are close to completing their 88 days so could be a few jobs going next month maybe.

Guest The Pom Queen
thank you bell123321. iv just had a look at the RSA courses online (RSA VIC online) and it says they only accept in class RSA training. this was stated on http://www.onlinersa.com.au/

can you tell me what this means??, because im looking at going to melbourne for the start of my 12 months

If you are going elsewhere after Victoria check here http://www.hia.edu.au/online-rsa/ it can be done at a good price. My son used this company and everything was fine and above board. He received his certificate within 48 hours, he did have to send them photo ID by email though.

Guest The Pom Queen
thanks very much folks. this will help me hugely :) some great advice from all. "shakergaz", if you dont mind me asking, how did you go about getting a job on the farm etc? was there information on websites and stuff like that?

Also keep an eye here, when I get told of any vacancies I put them on here. There are a few fruit picking ones in Melbourne at the moment http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/backpacker-job-vacancies/

• 1 month later...

hey all :D iv decided im going to australia in february of next year. wanted to give myself that extra bit of time to save up a bit more money. can anyone tell me of any annual events that happen in melbourne around the time of my arrival that could possibly make me spend more money on bits to stay than usual or what the chances are like of getting farm work when events are on?

it will be a very daunting time in my life when i finally get on that flight, on my own, only being 22 and wondering around melbourne alone so i need all the help i can get :D

thanks folks

"hooroo" (already learning some aussie words) ;)

Brilliant info especially about Melbourne, I fly out on the 30th aug got my first week booked in my hostel then will be on the job hunt for farm work. Need to get my second year visa app in before I turn 31 in march!! Have made notes about Vic market and house shares. One question about house shares where are they advertised?? Going to find easy pickings on fb like there pay an go from there it's all very exciting planning it all

Brilliant info especially about Melbourne, I fly out on the 30th aug got my first week booked in my hostel then will be on the job hunt for farm work. Need to get my second year visa app in before I turn 31 in march!! Have made notes about Vic market and house shares. One question about house shares where are they advertised?? Going to find easy pickings on fb like there pay an go from there it's all very exciting planning it all

yeah thats where im heading :) august...not far away then! i think when i arrive im staying with a friend for the first month or so and then il be moving on. il be doing my farm/regional work through easy pickings too. yeah iv heard about the vic market. helps save money when buying food, compared to the supermarkets, shops etc. you can find house or roomshares on airbnb and easyroommate,

http://au.easyroommate.com/victoria/melbourne-share-accommodation

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/s/Melbourne--Victoria--Australia?source=bb

i love planning it! makes it feel real until the time comes when i actually leave :D