WHV starting in Melbourne Febuary 16th 2014

Fordy87

Hey guys and girls, me and my partner are heading out to Melbourne on the 16 Feb next year on our WHV. Counting down the days now. Just putting this thread out there to see if anyone else is heading out there around the same time or for anyone who's already there and can give some advice for when we first get there would be greatly appreciated :-)

Look forward to hearing from you all

No not long now time is flying, handing my notice on thursday and finish work middle of December.. Hooray ! I'm looking on airbnb for places to stay and apartment shares. I'm not keen on staying in a hostel with 4-10 people on my first week there. And the price for a single room in a hostel is equivalent to a place on airbnb or house share with more room so looking to go that route to start of with. I'm not sure what i'm going to do regarding work yet, probably bar work or something if I can get any. And looking to do my regional work a bit later on. What about yourself ? What's your plans ?

That will be a great feeling handing in your notice, can't wait to hand mine in in December. What's this airbnb? Seen it mentioned about on various forums. I understand what you mean, can be daunting especially if you are travelling on your own, but then again everyone is I'm the same boat so could be a good way to make friends etc! Out plan atm is to spend the first few nights in a hostel in our own room and get to know the surrounding and chill out, then get looking for regional work as I really want to get the second year visa sorted ASAP as my long term plan is to emigrate to Oz! But just have to see how it pans out.

Hey Fordy + Luke!

Yeah we are landing in Melbourne on the 2nd January :) Booked to stay for a week at the Space Hotel just to ease us into things and looks like it has pretty decent facilities! Hopefully then we are gonna get out to do some farm work, there's a few places which are close to Melbourne which would be really good cause then you can always just pop back into the city on your days off or whatever. Really looking forward to getting out there! Where you guys from? Hope handing in your notices goes well, we've been travelling round SE Asia for three months now, was so great to finish working and start our adventure :)

Hey onwardsorupwards, jealous you have gone to SE Asia. We were looking at doing that but thought we would save our money for Oz and maybe do that inbetween or something along those lines. Myself and my partner are from coventry in the West Midlands, nothing great here hence wanting to make the move and see what the world has to offer. Where are you from? You will have to keep us updated with how things go when you get out there and possibly meet up for a drink and share some tips/advice to get us going :)

Hey onwardsorupwards, how is Asia ? I've heard a lot of people go that route before moving on to Aus and have a great time. I'm from Hull, and yeah cannot wait to finish work and get out there. Don't suppose you have any recommendations for travel and health insurance ? If you've taken them out.I've been looking online but can't seem to find anything suitable.

Hello again! Asia is going great thanks, having a really good time out here but defo looking forward to earning some money again :) Really excitied about getting to Oz! We are both from Manchester (well near enough). We've got medical insurance for the time we are in Asia but not yet sorted anything for when we get to Australia. I'm sure there is some healthcare agreement (think its called medicare) between Australia and the UK so could do with looking into that as medical insurance may not be required but don't hold me to that :P As for contents/item insurance we have nothing with us of great value so will probably skip that. Will defo post what we get up to when we arrive in Australia, would be good to meet for a beer with some fellow brits somewhere down the line :)

Hello again! Asia is going great thanks, having a really good time out here but defo looking forward to earning some money again :) Really excitied about getting to Oz! We are both from Manchester (well near enough). We've got medical insurance for the time we are in Asia but not yet sorted anything for when we get to Australia. I'm sure there is some healthcare agreement (think its called medicare) between Australia and the UK so could do with looking into that as medical insurance may not be required but don't hold me to that :P As for contents/item insurance we have nothing with us of great value so will probably skip that. Will defo post what we get up to when we arrive in Australia, would be good to meet for a beer with some fellow brits somewhere down the line :)

Yeah there is a reciprocal healthcare agreement between UK and aus but I think it only covers basic things, I need to look into it more. And yeah we need to arrange that once a few of us are in Melbourne.

Hey guys, just caught up on a few of the posts of you guys. Me and my partner are also off to Melbourne on 20th February . We are both from liverpool . Exciting times :-D. Anyone have any ideas were is good to stay? We have been looking at apartments and majority of them are none furnished for 1400 per month? I have heard a lot of people house share out there but also not too sure how that works or were to go. Look forward to chatting to you guys :-) ps we have our insurance with Sta travel.

Hi Rachandian check out https://flatmates.com.au/ , https://www.airbnb.co.uk/ , http://share-house.com.au/ , http://www.hostelbookers.com/hostels/australia/melbourne/ . I'm booking my first week staying through airbnb then maybe find a house or apartment share, or hostel once I'm there. Thanks for the insurance recommendation, I looked at them but ended up going with down under insure as they came out cheaper, and slightly better cover. And 1400 seems excessive, I know Aus isn't cheap but I've seen good apartment shares for $150-$250 a month on flatmates.au furnished some including bills some not.

Edited by lukeinoz

watch out if you do look at insurance because lots of the ones I found you have to start your journey in your home country (was going to do the same, one for Asia, one for Aus but couldn't do it easily)

i was of the same opinion that I didn't have much to lose anyway but after considering it, for the 3rd party cover if you caused an accident, and if you get ambulance cover (emergency medical is covered by Medicare but ambulances aren't are are expensive), and for emergency cover to get home if anything happens etc for £150odd (with 'holiday safe') seemed like it was worth it?

We stayed a week at the Claremont in Melbourne, was great, more like a hotel but backpacker prices then the easy stay in St.Kilda which was very like a US motel. No issues with either and both decent locations.

xx

You shouldn't have an issue being a couple. We've stayed in doubles in hostels it works out about the same as a dorm room anyway and we've also booked through airbnb for Xmas.

I always use trivago or some other booking site to find a good deal then go to tripadvisor to check the hostel reviews and it hasn't seen us wrong as yet.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey!

I done a holiday working visa in October 2012 and obtained sponsorship. I loved Melbourne and it's were I settled. I'm 25 and originally from Essex. I'm happy to meet with people who are new to Melbourne, wanna catch up or even some pointers on hostel etc please let me know. Hopefully the ad will generate some interest in general but please PM if I can help etc.

cheers, Scott

• 1 month later...

Forgot to post recently, but finally in Oz. Spent the first few nights in Space which we got upgraded to a queen room with a balcony that was sweet! Now in habitat HQ in st kilda which is alright, just the weather is cloudy so trying to occupy ourselves as it's too cold and windy to go to the beach and relax. Thinking about heading to Adelaide next week as there seems to be abit of regional work picking up there! Anyone else in Melbourne atm?

Guest The Pom Queen
Forgot to post recently, but finally in Oz. Spent the first few nights in Space which we got upgraded to a queen room with a balcony that was sweet! Now in habitat HQ in st kilda which is alright, just the weather is cloudy so trying to occupy ourselves as it's too cold and windy to go to the beach and relax. Thinking about heading to Adelaide next week as there seems to be abit of regional work picking up there! Anyone else in Melbourne atm?

How are you doing, have you got over the jet lag yet?