WHV travelling alone???

kitkaz

Hi All,

I had planned to travel to Oz on a WHV with my sister in oct/nov 2013, however there has been a change of circumstances and now my sister can't come! I have been working really hard and looking forward to this so it seems such a shame to give it all up, but I have no idea where to start! I am 25 years old and qualified with an MA Social Work last July. So I am hoping that I can use my experience out in Oz, does anyone know if social care jobs are easy to come by?

Initially I was travelling into Melbourne as my sister has friends there but seen as Im now travelling alone, I guess I could go anywhere, where would people recommend at that time of year?

I will have approx. £3000 to take with me so will need to find work pretty quickly to last haha. Also, any advice on flights, places to stay will be welcomed.

I have until January to travel as my visa will run out by then, so a plan of action is needed. Anyone in a similar situation, please get in touch, we can buddy together and make this work...I really don't wanna give up now.

Thanks

Kaz x

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SW jobs are advertised enough, suppose finding work can depend on a variety of things, what exp you have got, you are on WHV so it is unlikely you will find a perm position but you should be able to find casual work or potentially temp work. You are young and they seem to like that. You will need to be able to drive. You won't get work through the government given your visa, as they generally only employ citizens or perm residents, but who's knows..stranger things have happened. Have a look on websites, social care type jobs are often called caseworkers, as SW is not a protected title so people do not always have to be a social worker to have a case worker role. Maybe look at the AASW website, they assess your skills and see if you meet the criteria to be classed as a ' social worker', this may or may not be beneficial for you as some jobs ( gov / hospital jobs ) require this and so do some NGOs ( non government services) ...maybe worth having a look...

Thanks for your post Wellers and Whitehead :) I've looked into the AASW, seems like a lengthy process and mainly for those that are looking to emigrate. I have been in touch with a few support work orgs and they say that they hire casual workers so I guess I can just look into that. As you say, SW is mainly for those of perm residency etc. It's just the usual worry of not being able to find work, but from reading posts there are lots of positive stories so fingers crossed :) x x

Hi everyone,

Im planning to go to Perth on a WHV in November/December time this year, just had an epiphany and need to stop putting it off. Ill be travelling on my own so if anyone planning to go Perth around that time we could buddy up! Ahh so excited though

Hi everyone,

Im planning to go to Perth on a WHV in November/December time this year, just had an epiphany and need to stop putting it off. Ill be travelling on my own so if anyone planning to go Perth around that time we could buddy up! Ahh so excited though

I'll be in Perth then, and ready to travel elsewhere, maybe Broome/Darwin or Cairns. Message me closer to the time if your plans go ahead and we can have a beer :)

I traveled alone round Aus and loved it. I found it so easy to make friends, made some amazing friends, surfed Indo with them on the way home and 15 years later they're some of the best mates I've ever had. You'll have an amazing time!

i am heading to oz in april, looking for a buddy. im excited to go but worried at the same time im a qualified plumber but i know to get a job in oz as plumber is very unlikely due to the lengthly process of obtaining certification. i will be taking around £7000. i need advice please, where to go at what time of year ect? thanks

Hi everyone,

I'm heading to Perth on a WHV end October. Gonna stay in WA until early Jan but hopefully try and get some of my fruit picking out of the way in that time so will probably head down the coast for a bit. Either way would be good to meet up for a drink, and with you tashpotato.

Kitkaz, I went on my own in January and was really nervous about it but had no reason to be, I've had to come home for a little bit but going back over beginning of September, again on my own. You will be fine and feel so proud that you have done such a big thing. I see your from the Wirral - me too!! :)

Hello everybody!

Looks like there's many of us traveling alone Down Under this year. I've been contemplating on whether to do it or not for a few weeks now. It's a little scary, but exciting at the same time. I'm headed to Perth probably around Sept/Oct, not sure yet, but it would be lovely to get to know somebody with the same plans and maybe meet up there :) Or even just get to know somebody who's already living over there.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Kaz your not the only one, im traveling alone too. I'm leaving in October. Though starting off in Sydney then traveling and working i hope. I don't know about Social work. You could always look on taw.com.au and see what's on there. They have many jobs listed

I'm sure you'll have great time

Pete :biggrin:

Hi I'm looking at going to oz at end of September, got my visa just gotta tie up loose ends here first and hand in notice at work. I was thinking of going to Melbourne first if that's any help. What area do you live? I'm yet to arrange anything except the visa and will be going on my own x

I did a WHV and met many people who go alone and just decide where to go depending on who they meet and then change their plans to suit. dont be scared!! people travelling are all in the same boat. all extremely helpful.

we met more people as 2 girls than a group of 6. obviously dont abandon all reason, and disappear with people you have just met, but spend time with groups in hostels, and if you like them, go along for the ride!! its an amazing time in your life. take as much cash as you can, but obv you can work in Aus aswell and do everything your heart and mind has ever dreamed you can do!! enjoy, keep us posted!! xxx

Hey! Im travelling alone too, funnily enough i was travelling in the US and the best people i met were Aussies! They were the reason i decided to actually do this, cant wait to be honest! Im concerned about the jobs but i mentioned in another thread i will do anything at all, so i hope i can get some kind of work!