WHV granted, advice on check list

Benvo

Hi there,

so now I have my WHV granted (:biggrin:). I would like your advice to see if I've thought of everything, and if I have the right idea on what I've looked into.

First off flights, looking to go in April at the earliest and I've found emirate flights for £710 with STA travel, and looking at getting there multi-flex passes, if for only the main reason, to extend the flight so get the full year out there. But also good safety net for if anything was to happen so could change dates if needed to get back for any reason. Am I thinking along the right lines ?

Next I know when in Australia I can apply for Medicare, but I have also looked at travel insurance, the best I have seen its from outbackersinsurance, and they have a gold package which has nil excess across the board for £154.52. Is that a good roundabout price? and also ill post the values below, am I looking at the right amounts?

[TABLE=class: quote, width: 725]

[TR]

[TH=class: quoteHeader, colspan: 3]Your Quote

[/TH]

[TD=class: spacer][/TD]

[TH=class: quoteHeaderBronze, bgcolor: #EFEAF4]Bronze

[/TH]

[TH=class: quoteHeaderSilver, bgcolor: #E0D5E9]Silver

[/TH]

[TH=class: quoteHeaderGold, bgcolor: #D1C0DE]Gold

[/TH]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: quoteInfo, colspan: 3]Rollover for detailed information[/TD]

[TD=class: quotePriceBronze, bgcolor: #EFEAF4]£124.62

buyNow.png[/TD]

[TD=class: quotePriceSilver, bgcolor: #E0D5E9]£138.47

buyNow.png[/TD]

[TD=class: quotePriceGold, bgcolor: #D1C0DE]£154.52

buyNow.png[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TH=class: quoteHeader]Section[/TH]

[TH=class: quoteHeader]Cover[/TH]

[TH=class: quoteBronze, bgcolor: #EFEAF4]Excess[/TH]

[TH=class: quoteSilver, bgcolor: #E0D5E9]Excess[/TH]

[TH=class: quoteGold, bgcolor: #D1C0DE]Excess[/TH]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: quoteSection]Cancelling Your Trip[/TD]

[TD=class: quoteCover]£1,500[/TD]

[TD=class: quoteBronze, bgcolor: #EFEAF4]£75[/TD]

[TD=class: quoteSilver, bgcolor: #E0D5E9]£75[/TD]

[TD=class: quoteGold, bgcolor: #D1C0DE]Nil[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: quoteSection]Medical Emergency[/TD]

[TD=class: quoteCover]£5 million[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: quoteSection]Emergency Dental Treatment[/TD]

[TD=class: quoteCover]£250[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: quoteSection]Hospital Daily Benefit[/TD]

[TD=class: quoteCover]£200[/TD]

[TD=class: quoteBronze, bgcolor: #EFEAF4]Nil[/TD]

[TD=class: quoteSilver, bgcolor: #E0D5E9]Nil[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: quoteSection]Cutting Your Trip Short[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: quoteSection]Travel Delay (exceeding 12 hours)[/TD]

[TD=class: quoteCover]£200[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: quoteSection]Abandoning Your Trip[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: quoteSection]Personal Belongings & Baggage

- Single Article, or pair / set of articles

- Valuables and electronic / other equipment[/TD]

[TD=class: quoteCover]£1,000

£150

£150[/TD]

[TD=class: quoteBronze, bgcolor: #EFEAF4]quoteBronzeX.png No Cover

quoteBronzeX.png No Cover

quoteBronzeX.png No Cover[/TD]

[TD=class: quoteSilver, bgcolor: #E0D5E9]£75

£75

£75[/TD]

[TD=class: quoteGold, bgcolor: #D1C0DE]Nil

Nil

Nil[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: quoteSection]Delayed Baggage[/TD]

[TD=class: quoteCover]£250[/TD]

[TD=class: quoteBronze, bgcolor: #EFEAF4]quoteBronzeX.png No Cover[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: quoteSection]Personal Money

- Cash

- Cash (Aged under 18)[/TD]

[TD=class: quoteCover]£400

£200

£150[/TD]

[TD=class: quoteBronze, bgcolor: #EFEAF4]quoteBronzeX.png No Cover

quoteBronzeX.png No Cover

quoteBronzeX.png No Cover[/TD]

[TD=class: quoteSilver, bgcolor: #E0D5E9]£75

£75

£75[/TD]

Nil

Nil[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: quoteSection]Passport and Travel Documents[/TD]

[TD=class: quoteCover]£150[/TD]

[TD=class: quoteBronze, bgcolor: #EFEAF4]quoteBronzeX.png No Cover[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: quoteSection]Personal Accident

- Loss of limb

- Loss of sight

- Permanent Total Disablement

- Death Benefit[/TD]

[TD=class: quoteCover]£10,000

£10,000

£10,000

£5,000[/TD]

[TD=class: quoteBronze, bgcolor: #EFEAF4]Nil

Nil

Nil

Nil[/TD]

[TD=class: quoteSilver, bgcolor: #E0D5E9]Nil

Nil

Nil

Nil[/TD]

Nil

Nil

Nil[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: quoteSection]Personal Liability (per policy)[/TD]

[TD=class: quoteCover]£2 million[/TD]

[TD=class: quoteBronze, bgcolor: #EFEAF4]£300[/TD]

[TD=class: quoteSilver, bgcolor: #E0D5E9]£300[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: quoteSection]Legal Expenses[/TD]

[TD=class: quoteCover]£10,000[/TD]

[TD=class: quoteBronze, bgcolor: #EFEAF4]£300[/TD]

[TD=class: quoteSilver, bgcolor: #E0D5E9]£300[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: quoteSection]Uninhabitable Accommodation[/TD]

[TD=class: quoteCover]£500[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: quoteSection]End Supplier Failure[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

When we arrive, as its going to be me and a friend we are looking to book a hostel in Perth for the first couple of weeks, so we have a bed straight away looking at a few in Perth, and one on cottesloe beach. We are going to be looking for work when we get there, to hopefully secure something casual so that the spends aren't getting ate through straight away.

How long is reasonable time to expect to stay in hostel? with the main aim being looking for a house share or even to looking a renting (dependant on jobs) as have seen some 6 month leases on the net, and would be happy, if enjoying Perth, to spend a 6 months spell in Perth, as I also have a childhood friend who lives there.

I have read and had posts on another thread about bank accounts, it looks like a easy online application no earlier than a month before entering Australia. Also tax number I have to apply for once I'm there if I remember correctly?

Jobwise, is casual work that easy to come by? by that I mean, not going with any intention to do a specific type of work, and will look at doing anything. I have read online that Perth is generally quite good for work?

Sorry for the essay, but wanted to include as much info as I can. Feel free to post about anything ive missed, or not 100% on. I have prob still forgot to post about something ive already looked into lol!

Many Thanks

Benvo

You don't have to do all seven of these (I think you can drive on a British licence?) Hostels MAY have a time limit on the length of time you can stay. Join the YHA before you leave. Bring a hard copy of any job references you have. Do your RSA (Responsible Service of Alcohol) after you arrive in case you want a job in a pub. There are probably similar certificates to work as a barista or serve food. I don't know exactly where you do them - have a look at TAFE website. (Technical and Further Education??)

Things to do FirstBelow is a list of 7 important things that you should do as soon as possible after arriving in Australia.

[h=2]1. Apply for a Tax File Number (TFN)[/h]Do this first. To receive an income in Australia, you need a Tax File Number (TFN).

[h=2]2. Register with Medicare[/h]The Australian Government provides help with basic medical expenses through a scheme called Medicare.

[h=2]3. Open a bank account[/h]In Australia, most income including salary or wages and government benefits are paid directly into a bank account.

[h=2]4. Register with Centrelink[/h]Centrelink is a government agency which delivers a range of services to the community.

[h=2]5. Register for English Classes[/h]Communicating in English is very important and the key to your successful settlement.

[h=2]6. Enrol Your Children in School[/h]Under Australian law, children must attend school until they are 15 years old.

[h=2]7. Apply for a Driver's Licence[/h]

You don't have to do all seven of these (I think you can drive on a British licence?) Hostels MAY have a time limit on the length of time you can stay. Join the YHA before you leave. Bring a hard copy of any job references you have. Do your RSA (Responsible Service of Alcohol) after you arrive in case you want a job in a pub. There are probably similar certificates to work as a barista or serve food. I don't know exactly where you do them - have a look at TAFE website. (Technical and Further Education??)

Things to do FirstBelow is a list of 7 important things that you should do as soon as possible after arriving in Australia.

1. Apply for a Tax File Number (TFN)

Do this first. To receive an income in Australia, you need a Tax File Number (TFN).

2. Register with Medicare

The Australian Government provides help with basic medical expenses through a scheme called Medicare.

3. Open a bank account

In Australia, most income including salary or wages and government benefits are paid directly into a bank account.

4. Register with Centrelink

Centrelink is a government agency which delivers a range of services to the community.

5. Register for English Classes

Communicating in English is very important and the key to your successful settlement.

6. Enrol Your Children in School

Under Australian law, children must attend school until they are 15 years old.

7. Apply for a Driver's Licence

Thanks for your reply. Going on a working holiday visa so no kids to worry about. Im from the UK and english is my first language, so assume i wont need the English classes i assume? Driving license wise, i read that you can drive for a year on your working holiday visa, with your UK license, as your classed as a tourist?

Tax number and medicare i was sure opened when you get there, so thanks for confirming that. Bank account i believe i can apply before hand, within so many days of travelling to Australia by doing it online?

Many Thanks

Benvo

Hey!

I am applying for a WHV also, aiming to go out in September. I will be staying with family in Sunshine Coast for a while then eventually setting off to hostels around other parts of Australia.

I have an appointment with someone at STA Travel tomorrow - how did you find them? The reputation I have heard in the past is that they are expensive in relation to other places, although as far as quotes go they seem pretty reasonable.

Have you thought about doing a stopover on the way there for a day or two?

Also have you looked into sim cards? I was looking around for a similar thing to sim only 30day contracts but baffled tbh!

Pretty nervous about the whole travelling alone thingy, hope I don't chicken out!

Thanks for your reply. Going on a working holiday visa so no kids to worry about. Im from the UK and english is my first language, so assume i wont need the English classes i assume? Driving license wise, i read that you can drive for a year on your working holiday visa, with your UK license, as your classed as a tourist?

Tax number and medicare i was sure opened when you get there, so thanks for confirming that. Bank account i believe i can apply before hand, within so many days of travelling to Australia by doing it online?

Many Thanks

Benvo

Yes you can apply before you go for a Bank Account. NAB has no account keeping fees, we opened one before we went to validate our visas.

Once we arrived in Australia (Perth), we went to the Branch in the CBD (City Center), with our passports and picked up our cards and our pin numbers. The also set up online banking while we were there. When you open the account online you will get the account numbers so you can transfer money into the account before you go if you need to. There is a NAB forum within PIO. I dont think there is a set time before you are able to open one. http://www.nab.com.au/wps/wcm/connect/nab/nab/home/personal_finance/5/10

Tax File number you can apply online once you get to Australia. Medicare - go to one of the offices when you get to Australia with your passport and register they will give you a slip with your medicare number and send out the proper card in the post. SO you will need to be at an address for a couple of weeks to get these or be able to access a postal address.

I had a WHV. Check out insurance with 24-7 insurance. I found them quite reasonable and understandable (also clearly said they covered any work undertaken). I had to use it too - had chiro sessions as I had a trapped nerve from working - which they paid back no problems. Bank account wise - I opened up a Citibank account in UK - then when I got to Aus, I opened an Aus citibank account. No monthly fees and I could transfer (and still do) money between the two - as it is free to do. So, this is handy if you need to do this. Although, the downside is they have hardly any branches - but it's mostly online and didn't have any problems.

Hey Jaymeeo,

Havn't actually spoke to anyone at statravel, as only been looking online at there flights and multi flex pass thing. But seem to be cheapest out there at the moment, as aslong as the multi flex does what it says, i cant find anything like it elsewhere. Be nice to have option to change dates of return in case of emergency etc...

Talked with my mate about doing sometime in hong kong if we went via there, but we both did come to the conclusion would take extra spends, or would eat into money we would be taking. But i am looking at doing some farm work for 2nd year visa, so could always do that later on way back out.

Looked at a few sim cards yeh, seem to have some reasonable rolling 30 day sim cards, but have read its the coverage you have to look at for where in australia where you want to use them so yeh is baffling to say the least lol!

Yeh must admit dont think id be able to do it alone, as either way i was going with a mate, or going to stay with a friend in perth. But i have a friend who went over a few years ago, he met up with some friends who were travelling, but he actually stayed on his own in the end when they moved on. And he loved it! so each to the own i spose. Wait till you get your visa, they the nervous/excitement really steps up a grade lol!

Hey lebourvellec,

I have seen the NAB account mentioned before, thanks for confirming how it works, sounds easy enough! Would be nice to have it all done before i go, so like you it only be a case of picking up the cards etc...

And postal code for Medicare and tax number be fine, as my friend lives in perth, so ill be able to have post go there, just incase moved on before post comes

Hey HLSvictory,

Just had a look at 24-7 insurance, quotes seem reasonable there premier package coming out at 188.02, main difference being they have some higher values on medical etc... but they do have excess, but duno what is more important the higher medical values or excess. The reason im looking at no excess, is in case of emergency, dont really want to be dealing with trying sort money out to pay excesses.

And ill have a google of citibank account, see how they compare.

Many Thanks for all the replies

Benvo

Hi guys... Noticed you were talking about STA... I'm off to oz next month on a WHV.. Would definetly recommend STA.. Benvo I also went with the multiflex.. For an extra £60 can't really go wrong and as you say can get the full 12 months out there... When are you heading out there ??

Hey Jaymeeo,

Havn't actually spoke to anyone at statravel, as only been looking online at there flights and multi flex pass thing. But seem to be cheapest out there at the moment, as aslong as the multi flex does what it says, i cant find anything like it elsewhere. Be nice to have option to change dates of return in case of emergency etc...

Talked with my mate about doing sometime in hong kong if we went via there, but we both did come to the conclusion would take extra spends, or would eat into money we would be taking. But i am looking at doing some farm work for 2nd year visa, so could always do that later on way back out.

Looked at a few sim cards yeh, seem to have some reasonable rolling 30 day sim cards, but have read its the coverage you have to look at for where in australia where you want to use them so yeh is baffling to say the least lol!

Yeh must admit dont think id be able to do it alone, as either way i was going with a mate, or going to stay with a friend in perth. But i have a friend who went over a few years ago, he met up with some friends who were travelling, but he actually stayed on his own in the end when they moved on. And he loved it! so each to the own i spose. Wait till you get your visa, they the nervous/excitement really steps up a grade lol!

Hey lebourvellec,

I have seen the NAB account mentioned before, thanks for confirming how it works, sounds easy enough! Would be nice to have it all done before i go, so like you it only be a case of picking up the cards etc...

And postal code for Medicare and tax number be fine, as my friend lives in perth, so ill be able to have post go there, just incase moved on before post comes

Hey HLSvictory,

Just had a look at 24-7 insurance, quotes seem reasonable there premier package coming out at 188.02, main difference being they have some higher values on medical etc... but they do have excess, but duno what is more important the higher medical values or excess. The reason im looking at no excess, is in case of emergency, dont really want to be dealing with trying sort money out to pay excesses.

And ill have a google of citibank account, see how they compare.

Many Thanks for all the replies

Benvo

Applied for my visa after my last post and it was approved instantly... now I really am bricking it lol

I was meant to do it last year with a friend, but they wouldn't save up and eventually got a full time job they had no intentions of leaving. So it was either go on my own or not at all! I think if I didn't have family in Aus to fall back on if I hated it on my own then I wouldn't have had the guts to book

How old are you if you don't mind me asking?

Hi guys... Noticed you were talking about STA... I'm off to oz next month on a WHV.. Would definetly recommend STA.. Benvo I also went with the multiflex.. For an extra £60 can't really go wrong and as you say can get the full 12 months out there... When are you heading out there ??

I think most airlines change the date for about £40, but I probably will get the multiflex thingy just to have he extra 2 in case I change my mind a few times!

I am planning on going end of September, the only plans I have as of yet is to stay with my family near Brisbane and then travel down to Sydney stopped off at places along the way... trying to get temp work in the process! Kinda hope I meet people on the way too

What about you?

Ohh that's cool.. I fly to Brisbane next month.. Hopefully spend a few days there find my feet.. Travel down to surfers paradise and Byron bay etc.. Hopefully get a job ideally on the fruit picking trail like most to hopefully go towards a second year visa if all goes well.. and just meet people... Going to be abit weird going alone but won't take long to meet people

hey,

Looking at going out there mid April, as long as everything goes to plan, guna book flights soon, but gotta wait for referral for dentist first as need wisdom teeth out. Rather get it done here than there lol!

Haha welcome to the club, me and my mate was expecting a week at earliest for visa to come back, when we got email back half hour later was like ahhhh lol!

Im 23 and my friend will be 25. Both done the whole uni thing, and worked for a bit and got no where basically, so while we got the chance going do what we can! Plus will look good on the cv im sure lol!

Yeh, your going to need one date change for sure to extend flight to full year, so have the extra 2 will be a nice safety incase anything happens.

Benvo

Haha the dreaded wisdom teeth! Luckily enough mine seem to be growing alright so far (I've recently turned 24)

I did law at Uni and it took me almost a year to get something half decent money-wise, but can't stand how serious it all is... so going to trade it all in for fruit picking! lol

Keep in touch, would be good to know how your 5 months or so have gone before mine starts!

My cousin from near Brisbane is already trying to make me go to a one direction concert in Sydney... so I defo think i'll be running off on my own sooner rather than later!

I'm planning on going out in early December. Anyone else thinking of doing fruit picking during the main summer season of Dec-Mar/Apr? I've got distant family in Sydney but apart from that I'm going on my own too!

Also, where did you guys go to get your WHV? Did you get it via STA with their helpful thingymabobble or did you just do it off the Aus Gov website? Because I've got to save up to buy mine yet (as I don't graduate til July) and I'm terrified its a bunch of complicated paperwork online that I'm going to get wrong?!

I'm planning on going out in early December. Anyone else thinking of doing fruit picking during the main summer season of Dec-Mar/Apr? I've got distant family in Sydney but apart from that I'm going on my own too!

Also, where did you guys go to get your WHV? Did you get it via STA with their helpful thingymabobble or did you just do it off the Aus Gov website? Because I've got to save up to buy mine yet (as I don't graduate til July) and I'm terrified its a bunch of complicated paperwork online that I'm going to get wrong?!

It is really easy to do yourself! Honestly! Don't make the mistake of paying an agent to do it for you (unless you really want to) things like bank accounts, TFN's and the actual visa itself is sooo straightforward! If you need any help nearer the time for anything - just pm me. I've done it twice (got my second WHV too!) :)

Applied direct for mine, online form takes about 10-15 mins at max, just general questions and other details off your passport. Nothing to hard. Just be careful what card you use, natwest charged me 3% for non sterling transaction lol!

Going to look at the work for 2nd year visa, and have also thought the summers going to be the best time to get work, but pretty sure its going to be hotttttttttttt lol!

Benvo

Had my STA Travel appointment and the woman was 30 minutes late and really unhelpful...... really struggling to find decent flights!

Ah thats not good to say the least! have you tried looking on skyscanner? they may give a few different prices for time of year you want to go?

Benvo

Had my STA Travel appointment and the woman was 30 minutes late and really unhelpful...... really struggling to find decent flights!

Have you tried skyscanner website fir flights?

Yeah looked on all the usual suspects i.e. skyscanner, and all the other comparison ones

I think I am just being fussy with the airlines... and kinda wanna stop off somewhere on the way to break up the flights... or for at least a shower! haha

I managed to find a return flight with Emirates for about 920 + the multiflex option, but I'm in two minds about booking a single flight in case I decide I want to do the 2nd year (and / or go travel through Asia) ... Return flights only give you 12 months scope

blah rant over! lol

Yeah looked on all the usual suspects i.e. skyscanner, and all the other comparison ones

I think I am just being fussy with the airlines... and kinda wanna stop off somewhere on the way to break up the flights... or for at least a shower! haha

I managed to find a return flight with Emirates for about 920 + the multiflex option, but I'm in two minds about booking a single flight in case I decide I want to do the 2nd year (and / or go travel through Asia) ... Return flights only give you 12 months scope

blah rant over! lol

When did you say you wanted to go out? Cos if you're under 26, I went on STA travel today and a one way going out at the beginning of December was only like £580, which I was loving! Didn't check to see the multiflex thingy though...