Law Graduate coming to Sydney from Scotland

1875HFC

Hey folks, just new to this forum,some interesting stuff, not sure im posting in the right place.

Coming to Sydney on a WHV in September but will be wanting a job very soon after I arrive. Are job prospects in Sydney good for backpackers like myself in bar/cafe/restaurant?

Also looking to maybe pick up a month expericne in a law firm, does anyone know any information how i could go about this?

Any information about jobs and salary would be amazing.

Cheers

Guest guest73691

Hello

As has been suggested, it may be a good idea emailing round a few firms and seeing what you hear back. Always worth a try!

However, one thing to bear in mind is that a lot of the bigger law firms here in Sydney run structured work experience placements for law students/graduates seeking a 'grad job' (which I suppose is similar to a training contract in the UK) for which there is a specific application process. You may not have much luck with getting these firms to offer you more ad hoc work experience, so might be worth targeting some smaller firms. It probably also depends on what type of law you are interested in.

MsAKW

OK thats interesting thank you. Seems similar to the UK position like you have mentioned that they will have structured Internship schemes with a rigorous application process so a good option would be smaller firms then.

Will most likely search on the internet by location. I am interested in most areas of the law as I am yet to decide if i prefer corporate law besides employment or property law etc