Cairns + Gilligans + sept?

Guest lulum1986

Guest lulum1986

Trying to research and research as much as possible. Have spent hours today researching. I was thinking of September 2013 flying from London to cairns. Staying in backpackers gilligans?? Not sure what that place is like. I would like to end up being in Sydney by Xmas. But in between cairns and Sydney I would like to go to Airley beach, Whitsunday islands, Fraser Island, Gold Coast, and Byron bay.

i am a nurse so I do want to try and work aswell not sure if I should work in the middle of all this or just start when I get to Sydney?

do you think it would be good to go on any tours to do these things??

any advice would be greatly appreciated? Thanks xx

Deffo! I loved Gilligans. It was an amazing place. The thing is, I'm really not a party person, but this hostel is totally the party hostel of Cairns. I loved it! If you want to be able to sleep though, then maybe worth checking out somewhere else. It was very out of character for me, so I would absolutely recommend giving it a go!

As far as trips go, I would just buy a greyhound bus ticket to Sydney, that allows you to hop on/off. Make sure you ring ahead to hostels, to make sure you have a bed for when you get to each stop,

I wouldn't book an actual tour really, everyone is in the same boat, so you will figure it out as you go along. I think a great thing is having the flexibility to do what you want when you want and not be tied down.

I would also check out magnetic Island, off the coast of Townsville as an awesome place to stay. I stayed at Base and it was fantastic!

Have a fantastic time. XxX

If you're going on your own I would definately go on tours around the islands, you meet people that way aswell anyway! We went to the whitsundays and we went with CruiseWhitsundays, they were good. I haven't personally been to Gilligans but have heard good things about it. Also if you're doing the nursing to hopefully get sponsored, I would try getting your 2nd year visa work done first, so that you have more time to get a nursing job and be sponsored. Totally up to you though. I bet you could get some kind of job in Sydney even if it wasn't nursing (in desperate times). I would also get a bus pass and then jump off at the areas you want to stay and explore. You see much more on the road then flying or by train.

If you're going on your own I would definately go on tours around the islands, you meet people that way aswell anyway! We went to the whitsundays and we went with CruiseWhitsundays, they were good. I haven't personally been to Gilligans but have heard good things about it. Also if you're doing the nursing to hopefully get sponsored, I would try getting your 2nd year visa work done first, so that you have more time to get a nursing job and be sponsored. Totally up to you though. I bet you could get some kind of job in Sydney even if it wasn't nursing (in desperate times). I would also get a bus pass and then jump off at the areas you want to stay and explore. You see much more on the road then flying or by train.

I agree with every word of this. Fantastic advice! :-)

Guest lulum1986
Deffo! I loved Gilligans. It was an amazing place. The thing is, I'm really not a party person, but this hostel is totally the party hostel of Cairns. I loved it! If you want to be able to sleep though, then maybe worth checking out somewhere else. It was very out of character for me, so I would absolutely recommend giving it a go!

As far as trips go, I would just buy a greyhound bus ticket to Sydney, that allows you to hop on/off. Make sure you ring ahead to hostels, to make sure you have a bed for when you get to each stop,

I wouldn't book an actual tour really, everyone is in the same boat, so you will figure it out as you go along. I think a great thing is having the flexibility to do what you want when you want and not be tied down.

I would also check out magnetic Island, off the coast of Townsville as an awesome place to stay. I stayed at Base and it was fantastic!

Have a fantastic time. XxX

Brilliant thank you so much for your advice. Really appreciate it. So I would buy a greyhound ticket for say a few months? And I can get on and off when I want? Great :) yeh I am a bit of a party bird so that sounds fab ha ha. Do you think going that time of year it will be hot??

where is Townsville near?? I will defo check that out?

Thanks once again :)

Guest lulum1986

again thank you very much for your reply. I have a job already. It's with a agency and you can work in every state in Australia. What do you mean 2nd year visa work?? How often do you have to work in he year then?? I need to check with my own nursing board in the uk cos I'm sure they say I have to work in Australia.

Brilliant thank you so much for your advice. Really appreciate it. So I would buy a greyhound ticket for say a few months? And I can get on and off when I want? Great :) yeh I am a bit of a party bird so that sounds fab ha ha. Do you think going that time of year it will be hot??

where is Townsville near?? I will defo check that out?

Thanks once again :)

Ah, you're welcome.

yep, you can buy a greyhound ticket for e certain amount of months and then you literally make sure there is space on the bus you want by ringing up and then just jump on/off.

Townsville is a little south of Cairns, it will be one of the first stops you make. You can get a ferry ride to the Island, (about 20 minutes if i remember.)

Magnetic Island is absolutely stunning, the view out of the bar area at Base is just picture postcard. Also the place is just lovely.

I think September is a decent time to get to Cairns. I don't think it should be too hot, but it won't be cool either, it's just before the wet season as well though, so should be pretty good.

You want to make sure you are below the tropic of Capricorn before November really though. Although It might be good to get someone else's advice on the weather at that time as well.

I think your plan is pretty awesome really, am a little jealous! Have a wonderful trip. :-)

Guest lulum1986
Ah, you're welcome.

yep, you can buy a greyhound ticket for e certain amount of months and then you literally make sure there is space on the bus you want by ringing up and then just jump on/off.

Townsville is a little south of Cairns, it will be one of the first stops you make. You can get a ferry ride to the Island, (about 20 minutes if i remember.)

Magnetic Island is absolutely stunning, the view out of the bar area at Base is just picture postcard. Also the place is just lovely.

I think September is a decent time to get to Cairns. I don't think it should be too hot, but it won't be cool either, it's just before the wet season as well though, so should be pretty good.

You want to make sure you are below the tropic of Capricorn before November really though. Although It might be good to get someone else's advice on the weather at that time as well.

I think your plan is pretty awesome really, am a little jealous! Have a wonderful trip. :-)

Aww thank you again. Maybe I should go early on September then as I haven't actually set a date. I was just gonna go end of September because of my mums birthday but I'm sure she won't mind lol.

then head for sydney maybe November instead lol. Then start work straight away to have Xmas off.

what do you mean Tropic of Capricorn lol??

Thank you xx

gilligans is a good spot and brilliant location. There are lots of tour offices everywhere in cairns! If you are not in a rush to get to sydney I would advice book your greyhound and book the rest as you go along for the best prices and discounts as you go. The weather is normally good in september (It was this year anyway)! Ive been in cairns region since september and expect from this week I have only seen 2 days of rain!

Aww thank you again. Maybe I should go early on September then as I haven't actually set a date. I was just gonna go end of September because of my mums birthday but I'm sure she won't mind lol.

then head for sydney maybe November instead lol. Then start work straight away to have Xmas off.

what do you mean Tropic of Capricorn lol??

Thank you xx

Tropic of capricorn is basically an invisible line around the earth, the further north the nearer you are to it, the northern part of australia cuts into it, it's the zone in which it's officially classed as tropical weather ie rainforest weather. I think the line is around rockhampton or gladstone (we passed it). Once you go further south after that you're out of the tropical zone and into sub-tropical weather.

Guest The Pom Queen

As others have said Gilligans is the party hostel of Cairns, they have a nightclub next door. September is a perfect time to come up.

Trips, well you have to do the reef, quad biking is great, also Skyrail http://www.skyrail.com.au

On the way back down stop at Airlie Beach another back packer haven. If you can afford it take a flight over heart reef, well worth it along with time at Whitehaven Beach.

As others have said Gilligans is the party hostel of Cairns, they have a nightclub next door. September is a perfect time to come up.

Trips, well you have to do the reef, quad biking is great, also Skyrail http://www.skyrail.com.au

On the way back down stop at Airlie Beach another back packer haven. If you can afford it take a flight over heart reef, well worth it along with time at Whitehaven Beach.

No expert but I was thinking August as it might be a little cooler for a Brit ? Also when does the stinger season start..might a trip starting in Sep stray into that? What do you think?

Guest The Pom Queen
No expert but I was thinking August as it might be a little cooler for a Brit ? Also when does the stinger season start..might a trip starting in Sep stray into that? What do you think?

September is fine, it doesn't start hotting up until November. Stinger season is November to May.

Tropic of capricorn is basically an invisible line around the earth, the further north the nearer you are to it, the northern part of australia cuts into it, it's the zone in which it's officially classed as tropical weather ie rainforest weather. I think the line is around rockhampton or gladstone (we passed it). Once you go further south after that you're out of the tropical zone and into sub-tropical weather.

Where are flying out from?? And what date. I'm looking to go then and your plans sound cool. Could maybe meet up and fly out togeather. Cos I'm undecided where to start but want to be in Sydney for Xmas and new year.

Guest The Pom Queen
Where are flying out from?? And what date. I'm looking to go then and your plans sound cool. Could maybe meet up and fly out togeather. Cos I'm undecided where to start but want to be in Sydney for Xmas and new year.

Hi Daviboy, did you mean to reply to Lulum?

Guest lulum1986

Haven't decided a date yet. As I got to wait to apply for my nursing registration first then I'll book a flight. But I'll defiantly let you know :) London. What about you??