Too old and long in the tooth for backpacking?

diabloinperth

Hi all :)

I'm a 32 year old Scottish girl currently staying in Perth with family but am considering doing a bit of backpacking/travelling.

I guess what I want to find out is if at this stage in my life if I am considered too old for backpacking. Don't want to be stuck in amongst a lot of young ones nor feel like anyones mum! :P

Cheers

Lisa

If you want to travel give it a go, 32 is still young and it's not compulsory to get involved in drinking competitions

I remember being on honeymoon in NZ at 33 and there were a couple of guys in the lodge there backpacking who were in their early 30s, they were spending most of their time on some of the immense tramps they have over there. I was quite jealous. Didn't tell the wife that, of course....

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi and welcome to the forum, I see lots of backpackers down in Cairns and I would say most of them are aged between 25 - 50 so no I don't think you are too old, plus look at the grey nomads, people who are retired who get a caravan or campervan and travel Aus.

Guest littlesarah

Definitely not too old, I'd say! You only have to go where you want to go, and do what you want to do.

When I took a 'gap year' at age 25 I met people of all age groups who had decided to step off the hamster wheel for a while in order to see a bit of the world. I'd say go for it, while you can. It looks like I'll be a bit more tied down now, and I'm glad I did a bit of travelling while I could!

Your never to old to back/flash pack. I did the OZ thing a little older than you and did find at times some were a little young but by and large enjoyed it. I do find the South East Asian scene flooded by gap year and incurious youth though which is a change from decades back when a greater age range seem far more evident with a greater interest in the countries travelled through.....All become far too easy now.

On the road in Africa there seems to be a different older and heartier lot than OZ and SE Asia....goes with the terrain. Expect South America is similar.

But to answer your question put age aside and do your thing. I find few things more satisfactory than travelling.....

Guest guest79615

Not too old at all, in fact i felt more comfortable doing it when i was a little older as when i done it in my late teens/early twenties everyone seemed older than me, i didn't have much money and wasn't as confident. There is a massive age range of travelers, not one age group more than the other. I took my mum a mini back packing trip with me one time and she was apprehensive as she was worried about staying in hostels and being the only 'old' one, she wasn't and met lots of people her own age and older, and made her feel young again ;) I think its better to do it when your older in my opinion.

Hi all :)

I'm a 32 year old Scottish girl currently staying in Perth with family but am considering doing a bit of backpacking/travelling.

I guess what I want to find out is if at this stage in my life if I am considered too old for backpacking. Don't want to be stuck in amongst a lot of young ones nor feel like anyones mum! :P

Cheers

Lisa

Ha!

Had to laugh at that.

Im 44 and went backpacking for the first time last year.

Save up, buy the ticket, live the dream!

I did my gap year, well 6 months when I was 34 travelling around Asia and I think maybe I got more out of the experience than I would have at age 18. I probably stepped up to the slightly higher level of accommodation versus some backpackers as you do get more discerning with age, but I still did many $10 a night places and was very proud of myself for doing so (I'm normally a 5* type). I met plenty of people, perhaps not as many as if I had gone to the more typical backpacker establishment and indeed knew that was all I needed to do if I required more company.

Guest The Pom Queen
All this backslapping is all well and good but backpacking in Oz is definitely a young person (early twenties) game.

What a load of rubbish. You better tell all the grey nomads then.

What a load of rubbish. You better tell all the grey nomads then.

Yerr! Still go 'bush' every year in the most inhospitable places and I'm close to 72 years of age.

But then M2M, some peeps are just too lazy to get off their R sends.:wink:

Cheers, Bobj.

and paul who is in his 30's had nomad blood in him I think! He loved travelling round aus and we wanna go travelling again soon. Definately not a young persons thing.

Definitely not. Daves in 30's too and says once the dogs are gone he's going to do a lot more travelling lol id like to be one of those nomads!

Again. Backpacking as in this forum subsection is a long term lifestyle choice, of up to two years in a country 10,000 miles away. It' ain't a couple weeks "camping" on your annual leave.

And again. The former is both suited and mainly populated by people in their early twenties. Not saying middle aged people don't do it but let's be honest you couldn't get more mid-life crisis if you bought a harley davidson, had an affair with your secretary and joined a sky diving club.

When people here 30+ have spent months and months living in backpackers hostels, scrounging and scraping for work and decent accom, then get back to me. People posting from the comfort of their central heated UK living rooms, gobbing off, need not apply.

Guest guest74339

Hi Lisa,

No, you're most certainly not too old to go backpacking/travelling.

Which countries would you like to visit and when are you thinking of going?

Edited by The Pom Queen
Removed name as requested

When your all in hostels scrabbling around in the kitchen at tea time get back to me. Difference between camping for a few weeks and travelling 10,000 miles to go backpacking for a year.

Yup, will do...when you're 72 and still travelling.:wink:

Cheers, Bobj.

PS. I do that kind of mileage every year from Qld to the NT (south to north), across to The Kimberlies and return.:laugh:

Cheers, Bobj.