When do I have to leave?

abigail13

I'm currently in Oz on a WHV! I know I can stay for 12 months, but i'm unsure which date I have to leave the country. If I arrived in Oz on the 13th June 2012, do I have to leave by the 13th June 2013, or do I have to be gone by then? (ie, get a flight home on the 12th). I've had a look online but can't find any info. Thanks :)

Does it not state on your visa the valid dates ?, Id as that if you arrive say 00:01 on the 13/06/2012 then you have untill 23:59 on the 13/06/2013 as that is a year. I doubt you would get in any trouble, if you was questioned and you say to them..... if i was born on the 13 i wont become a yaer old on the 12 ? would i lol. Im sure you would have a good argument ;).

Thanks for replying. That's a good point London Chap, I didn't think of it like that! I don't have any dates written anywhere, just a stamp in my passport stating the date I arrived. Since I can't find anything 'official' about it online I might give immigration a call, I can't be the only person with this question, i'm sure they would know :) thanks for your help everyone!

Guest GeorgeD
Does it not state on your visa the valid dates ?, Id as that if you arrive say 00:01 on the 13/06/2012 then you have untill 23:59 on the 13/06/2013 as that is a year. I doubt you would get in any trouble, if you was questioned and you say to them..... if i was born on the 13 i wont become a yaer old on the 12 ? would i lol. Im sure you would have a good argument ;).

That's still a year and a day! You can have as good an argument as you want...you'd still be overstaying your visa!

If you arrive 13/06/2102....then as there are 365 days in a year (no leap year is involved), 12/06/2013 is the the 365th day...the next day is a year and 1 day. There are 7 days in a week...assume the week starts on a Monday. You have Tues/Weds/Thurs/Fri/Sat/Sun. There's your 7 days...you can't include the Monday after it too, because that would be 8 days, and more than a week. You can't have the same day twice...just as if you arrive on the 13/06/12 then the year doesn't include 13/06/13...that's the next year.

You will be breaching your visa conditions. For a WHV the worst that would happen is you get kicked out the country, and you're leaving anyway...but if you ever wanted to go back to Oz on a permanent basis, having a breach of a visitor visa isn't going to help you. It doesn't matter if you were over by a day, a week, month or a year...you've breached the terms of your visa. They'll let you leave OK when you turn up at the airport...you're leaving after all, but if you wanted to come back they can see you overstayed the last time...which makes you more likely to do it the next time...

If the cost is prohibitive, you could leave earlier when it is cheaper...