a few newbie questions.

AJax

Hi all, I'm thinking about a working holiday around Aus next year sometime, im from the uk and 28 so i need to do it fairly quickly, but there are a few things I was wondering, I was thinking of Brisbane or Sydney to start in.

How much is a good amount of money to take out there not including flights?

How easy is it to actually find work?

Also I guess there are ALOT of people going by themselves?

When the best time of the year do this?

Is it easy enough to get a work visa?

Thanks for the replies in advance, AJax!

Guest c20letvan

Im pretty new to this and been doing alot of research online to see what people are doing etc.

Hi all, I'm thinking about a working holiday around Aus next year sometime, im from the uk and 28 so i need to do it fairly quickly, but there are a few things I was wondering, I was thinking of Brisbane or Sydney to start in.

How much is a good amount of money to take out there not including flights

The australian goverment want you to have $5000 in your bank account but it really depends on what your going to be doing, if your wanting to work and travel then you wont need a great heap but if your wanting to travel and do loads of activities and work as least as possible your guna need a lot more. Im wanting to come home with more money or the same money with what i went with if its possible, but still want to visit places, party and meet people.

Again from what i've heard pretty easy as long as you get yourself out there and look then people will point you in the right direction.

Im going solo like many others, reasons why are you can go when you what where ever you want, secondly as your by yourself if you dont talk you wont meet others so you have to basically. And everyone is in the same boat so you'll be speaking within minutes.

They say its best to go around oct/nov time as its there summer til February so then you follow the weather

Plenty of my friends have been and got one no problem, just applied online and were accepted pretty much straight away.

Thanks for the replies in advance, AJax!

Depends on how long before you want to start working but anything from $2000+ will keep you going for a while!

Depends on what work your looking for but I find agencies a lifesaver!

Loads of people come out to oz alone but you will soon make friends when you start staying in hostels and trips etc.

It depends on where you want to start. but anytime of the year I wouldnt say theres a preference

A work visa can be applied for on the ATO website and takes about 5-10mins you should receive within a week or so!

As much as possible! I had around £5k when I got here, haven't needed to spend too much of it, but the more you have the safer you'll feel with regards to finding work and stuff.

Fairly easy if you have some experience, in the city anyway. I've met a fair few irishmen who have no experience and have got jobs as painters and whatnot, but if you've got experience in something then it'll be no problem, you've just gotta apply for as much as possible and not sit around expecting the jobs to come to you.

I'm by myself, lots of the people I met are with other people, but there are a few by themselves too, suppose it's a toss-up between having the freedom to do what you want, and being alone. But you'll meet plenty of people, especially if you stay at a hostel to begin with and get a job.

You're there for a year (2 if you do the farm work) so doesn't really matter. Depends on where you go etc...

A sponsored one? Not really, some people do get them, but they are usually ones with skills on the skills list with a fair whack of experience. I was hoping to find a real job and get sponsored, but that hasn't happened, so I'm gonna cut my losses and save up money here then study back in Europe and try and get a job there.

The actual working holiday visa takes only a couple of mins to fill out online and takes a few hours usually to get approved.

Edited by nickachu