WHV Granted :D

nickachu

Yay got my WHV granted today, and only took about 3 hours!

Thinking about booking my flights immediately, get to go on the airbus if I book for the 24th october.

Brisbane is the plan. Finding a job where I can get sponsorship is the main plan, my education is on the skills list so hopefully I've got at least some chance.

WOOOOO! KOALAS!

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations.

I also agree with Britchick play is just as important, if you plan on looking for sponsorship to be able to stay then it would be good to build a social network, I still have a very good friend that I keep in touch with after 20 years that I met during my WHV whilst working in Maccas.

Also it would be worth doing 3 months regional work so you can extend your visa for the extra year at least then you will have more time to look for sponsorship, the year goes by so fast.

I've got experience as a chef, so don't think it'll be too difficult to get a job in that, not exactly what I want to do, but it's a job. Also looking on seek there are quite a few jobs in what I wanna get sponsorship in, so I'm quite optimistic on that front, better that way than being negative, only time will tell! Both excited and nervous, going the other side of the world on my own is a bit daunting :D

Insurance wise it really depends on what you are taking with you. We got a fairly comprehensive cover with Downunder Insurance, £560 for a year - but I added a few specified items (laptop, iphone, cameras) that I wanted covered. Basic backpacker insurance usually has very stingy limits where personal posessions is concerned.

I got a backpacker one. 150quid, with nil excess. Should be fine I think, now that I've taken one out I doubt anything will happen, if I didn't take one out I'd probably end up in hospital.

And I know it's probably silly, but Im really quite excited about flying on the airbus!

Plus you can apply for a medicare card when you arrive :) just to be extra safe!

I'm excited for ya! Wish I was travelling aus again, next time I go back I need to see sydney and NT.

I was excited too about flying on the air bus, though after ten mins of flying it's lost its excitement lol.

Edited by BritChickx

Definitely worth searching on the job sites before you go over and whilst you are there. My husband is a chef and a few months ago when I was looking on sites such as seek I used to regularly see jobs for chefs which were short term contracts suitable for backpackers and occasionally ones which would possibly lead onto sponsorship so I'm sure you'll be OK for work :-)

Oh I've been applying for jobs on seek for months! :P Now I've actually got a landing date might have a better chance of getting something before I go, only really applying for jobs in my graduate field though, thought chefing would be easier to just rock up and speak to them in person

Yay got my WHV granted today, and only took about 3 hours!

Thinking about booking my flights immediately, get to go on the airbus if I book for the 24th october.

Brisbane is the plan. Finding a job where I can get sponsorship is the main plan, my education is on the skills list so hopefully I've got at least some chance.

WOOOOO! KOALAS!

Congrats, enjoy, and make the most of it!

2 weeks til I go and Im watching the exchange rates like a hawk. Think I'll get some when it's back up to 1.53, dropped to 1.51 on the post office today. Gonna use the post office as it's close and I don't really trust getting a fair bit of cash sent in the post.

Guest nitrox121

patience :D id deffenitly recommend doing some travelling while your here... ive only been to two places so far. sydney & ciarns. currently finishing up my regional year for the second year visa! been such an experience and something ive deffenitly learned from and met so many people through doing it. the money isnt bad either! nothing much to spend it on while living in nowwhere lol.

i used western union to transfer funds to my oz account (free!) barclays wanted 25£! however they charge 11$ to reviece it over here. not a great expense really..

enjoy!