Travelling Around Oz 2013

Toni-girl

Hi guys,

I'm looking to go travelling around the whole of Australia towards the end of 2013 - I know it's ages away but being slightly OCD about things I've got to start planning now!!!

It looks like I'm going to be travelling on my own so hoping to meet some great people on my travels. I'm thinking of starting in Sydney and working my way around, although not sure whether to go up the East coast to the top end, down to Perth and across to Adelaide and Melbourne or vice versa. Not too fussed about including Tasmania though!

I'm planning on going on a WHV although hoping that I'll have saved enough by then to not have to work.

I'm not particularly fussed on partying every night - I'll be 28 when I go :cry: so getting on a bit!! Hope I don't sound like too much of a stick-in-the-mud but I feel like I've got to the age where seeing and experiencing the place is more important to me than drinking - I can do that at home :biggrin: !!!

If anyone's got any ideas/ suggestions/ experiences they can share it would be soooo greatly appreciated,

Toni xx

Hi Toni! I'm sure someone who has been there/done that will be able to help more but I've picked up a few books on Australia and whilst I haven't went through it too much yet, from what I have seen the lonely planet book on Australia may be of use regarding accomodation, travel and sights to see etc. Because if you're wanting to do it without working I'm sure you'll really want to make sure you're watching your pounds (or dollars), and it gives food tips on transport and how much to expect to pay for certain accomodation etc depending on how many comforts you want etc.

I've read so many books to do with travelling around Oz I think I've had information overload!!! There's so much I want to do and see and I really don't think a year's going to be long enough!

I think my main concern is definitely accommodation - I'm such a poor sleeper I don't know how I'll get on in a dorm, and there's no way I can afford hotels!

Are you looking to go travelling soon - what are your plans? xx

Ha ha, I've been looking at the exchange rate for weeks now with my fingers crossed it'll start going up so I can get more for my money - not holding out much hope though!!

I will work when I'm out there, if not because I'm short of money but to try and qualify for my second year visa. It's always better doing something when you have the choice rather than because you have to xx

I think my main concern is definitely accommodation - I'm such a poor sleeper I don't know how I'll get on in a dorm, and there's no way I can afford hotels!

Ear plugs

Also you dont need to do the regional work all in one go - you can break it up while you travel round.

Edited by lebourvellec

Thanks lebourvellec, that's good to know. I did think you had to do it in one block so that gives me more options. Have been to Oz before or are you planning on going? xx

Yes I went out on a WHV in 2005, travelled most of the country - I went back in 2006 on a sponsored visa, returned back to UK in 2007. Got married since then and looking to go back in a few years - we got our PR in October last year.

Dont worry too much about travelling alone - I was a bit stressed about it so I went out with BUANC - but it was great. 14 of us met at the airport in London, we had a few days together in Thialand then went to sydney - 6 of us got a house together for a while, we arrived in Sydney in November stayed for Christmas and new year then 3 of us travelled up the east coast together. When we got to Cairns, I went off and did my own thing after that, but met up with others at various times in Australia.

After that I worked at a banana farm for a while - then got a job in the outback for 4 months - was able to save loads of money for the rest of my travels in Oz, NZ and Fiji.

When you are planning your route you should also think what time of year it will be in each place - i.e.Darwin in Wet Season is v. humid!

DO some trips when you arrive and you will meet people no problem, some of the best trips to meet people are Fraser Island, Whitsundays, Ayres Rock. I did a jump on jump off tour down the West coast. I think its easier to meet people when on your own rather that if you go with someone.

Sleeping in the dorms was not so bad - but we did stay at a 32 bed dorm in Brisbane - and the earplugs really helped. Many dorms are about 4-6 beds. Most people are usually respectful when they come in late - i learned to take my contacts out in the dark, and a mobile is a brilliant torch!

I've read so many books to do with travelling around Oz I think I've had information overload!!! There's so much I want to do and see and I really don't think a year's going to be long enough!

Are you looking to go travelling soon - what are your plans? xx

Yeah I know what you mean you could read books, magazines and the internet for the next 100 years and still not have it all read lol. Yeah i'm the same in that i don't want to spend the money on hotels but I was told by someone who went east a few years back that a hostel over there is like a good b&b here but I might try and book in somewhere quite good for a few nights and then scout out the cheaper but acceptable places during the day while doing a bit of exploring and job hunting!

I'd also agree about the earplugs - sometimes an ipod keeps me awake because i listen to it so the earplugs sound a better job!

I'm going quite soon - September. My plan is to land in Perth and hopefully by then to have a job or get one shortly after. If that doesn't happen I'll try to get some regional work organised to allow me to get another WHV if i can see myself wanting to stay. I'm going myself too so whilst its exciting its a bit disappointing I'll not have my good mates to enjoy it with.

Wow Lebourvellec, so you've experienced Australia as both a tourist and a worker then. There's part of me that's looking forward to "going it alone" as it would be such an achievement for me (whatever I do I always try and make sure someone's with me!) so it's almost to prove a point to myself that I've got the confidence to do it; but on the other hand it would be nice to share my experience with someone I know and care about.

I'm actually quite shy (although some of my friends would definitely disagree with that), especially in new situations and make myself ill with worry so that's making me a bit hesitant - but I've got plenty of time to go yet before anything starts materialising .

I definitely like the idea of spending Xmas in Sydney, I don't think I'd be happy if I spent it elsewhere in Oz.

And LiverpoolFC - I must have 10 books on Oz, plus I get the Australia and New Zealand magazine every month and am constantly on the net and still feel like I don't know where to start :cry:!!

It sounds really stupid but I'm obsessed with watching Home & Away; I'm not happy unless I get my daily Oz fix!! I know life over there is nothing like that (it'd be like thinking UK life is like Eastenders *slits wrists in dispair*) it just feel like I'm never actually going to make the jump and actually get there. I know that I've got to do it soon otherwise I'm never going to be able to settle in a job because I'll not want to be there.

Initially I was meant to go Jan 2009 - I applied to 10 unis and got accepted into 6. Alas my parents split, bank of mum and dad collapsed and I couldn't afford the tuition fees for a foreign student - especially as the exchange rate plummeted.

Hi Toni-girl,

I originally planned on going out sometime towards the end of this year, and already have my WHV - but am not able to go until 2013 (funds). I have been assured that I can re-apply for my WHV as I haven't activated it yet/entered the country so that's all good.

I was thinking of going around September 2013 and will be starting in Melbourne or Sydney. I have seen the Bunac offer and that looks pretty good, as I will be travelling alone initially.

So much to plan, and it does seem ages away, but I'm sure it will pass by quickly.

I'll be 25 by the time I head out there, but am still partial to a few beverages :wink:

Guest guest66832

I went back packing on the WHV with no plan for what I was going to do when I got there. I landed in Perth and was going to sort of work my way up and over and then down to Sydney via Darwin and Cairns. On the first day I met a couple of lads in the hostel I checked into and I stayed in Perth just going to the beach and going to as many backpacker nights in the local bars and clubs as I could with them. The two other lads had been there longer than me and knew two other lads, that they had met whilst travelling, who were going over to Sydney for Christmas and the New Year and had a house sorted to stay in. So some of us went by air, some by train and I took the non-stop cross country bus to Sydney and we all met up at this house in Chiswick just west of the city. In total there were seven staying in the house and I spent until about May living and working in Sydney. Eventually the other four guys either went home or went off travelling so I decided to travel up the east coast. I stopped off at Byron Bay with the intention of spending maybe 3 or 4 days there but I ended up spending 3 weeks there just chilling out after working for the last few months in Sydney. I also met a great group of people as well, life was good. After that I got as far as Brisbane via Surfers Paradise. I was hoping for work in Brisbane but I couldn't find any and running low on funds I phoned my agency in Sydney and they said that there was loads of work in Sydney for me so I returned there. I checked into a hostel on George Street and loved the dorm life. There was always someone going out and it was a real social scene. Poker games on the 5th floor with Koreans and Aussies, backpacker nights at the Gaff, quiz night at Scruffy Murphys. Met some really good people and had a great time.

Basically you can worry and stress and plan all you like but all you really need to do is make the decision to go and throw yourself into the backpacker way of life. It probably won't be as you planned it to be but with any luck you will love it and make some really good friends along the way.

Edited by guest66832

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry guys, haven't meant to be rude by not replying it's just I'm at college and exam/ courseowrk deadlines have all come at the same time and it's been manic!!

BB88 - what's the Bunac offer, I've never heard of that? Funds, and the fact I won't be going as part of a group are definitely what's stopping me from going. Although to be fair I'll probably put it off forever waiting for "the right time"!! I'm the world's worst at making a definitive decision, and because I've got no one going with me I can keep putting it off :tongue:!!

RobinOz - sounds like you had a blast. My problem is, if I don't have a plan of some sort I stress out beyond belief!! I'd love to travel around all of Oz, I don't know if I'd ever get the opportunity to go back so I'd like to go literally everywhere in case it's my only chance! Is there anything you wish you'd have done or anywhere you wish you'd have gone but didn't get a chance too?

Also, as the weather's warming up here I'm finding I'm getting soooo hot I'm dreading the summer! Is the heat in Oz the same as here or more comfortable?

Thanks to everyone that's replied to me, I'm really grateful for any stories/ help/ advice xx

Sorry guys, haven't meant to be rude by not replying it's just I'm at college and exam/ courseowrk deadlines have all come at the same time and it's been manic!!

BB88 - what's the Bunac offer, I've never heard of that? Funds, and the fact I won't be going as part of a group are definitely what's stopping me from going. Although to be fair I'll probably put it off forever waiting for "the right time"!! I'm the world's worst at making a definitive decision, and because I've got no one going with me I can keep putting it off :tongue:!!

Here is the Bunac Work Australia programme. They do a group flight with a three day stopover in Hong Kong before you land in Sydney. If you are worrying about going at it alone, then that's a good place to look. I will more than likely be using it!

I went with BUNAC in - I felt that it was worth the money and also the fact the Flights were a good offer as you could call up a few days in advance and state which date you wanted your flights you had plent of time to travel to other places on your way home, and still be able to spend a year in Australia.

Everything was done for you and you could get your mail forwarded to you where every you were in AUstrlaia, and you could leave stuff at their sydney office.

If you are a bit worried about going alone I would say its a good place to start.

Must admit they look good, it's just scary when you look at the cost of things and how much everything soon adds up!!

I'm hoping to be able to get a second year out there (that's assuming I'm going to like it out there!) - would it be possible to to extend my return flight date do you think? I#ve had a look on their site and everything just seems to be geared towards a 12 month WHV

I did a WHV in 1998 and went back and worked in 2005 and we are going back again this year.

I would say that my WHV was possibly one of the best years of my life (it was only one year then, with no possibilty of an extension)

I did travel with my now husband, but met so many single female travellers, who had no problems.

Hostel notice boards are great for meeting people with vans wanting to lift share to places, we got a lift from Adelaide to Alice Springs with a guy we met advertising spaces in his van, we took quite a while to get there, camping as we went - Awesome, the stars in the night sky in the desert are out of this world

Highlights are really hard as it depends on what you are into, but for us the things that have stuck in my mind (over all trips) are:

Tassie (I know you said you weren't fussed but for nature its awesome)

The Grampians

Melbourne

Phillip Island

Magnetic Island

The red centre

Coober Pedy

Adelaide hills

North NSW

Atherton tablelands

We didn't do many trips but one we did which was great was Jims alternative tours from Bryon, which visited some beautiful waterfalls

We didn't make it to WA or NT

I would say we actually travelled for 6 months and lived with family and in Sydeny working for the rest. 2 years and you could see a lot.

I do think having a plan is a good idea, but my main advice would be don't stress if your plan doesn't go to plan

As for the heat, no the heat in Aus is no more comfortable, in fact sometimes it's down right horrible, but plan your route with the weather in mind, ie: Townsville and Cairns are horrible for Xmas and Melbourne too for that matter

Edited by TheGrahams

Must admit they look good, it's just scary when you look at the cost of things and how much everything soon adds up!!

I'm hoping to be able to get a second year out there (that's assuming I'm going to like it out there!) - would it be possible to to extend my return flight date do you think? I#ve had a look on their site and everything just seems to be geared towards a 12 month WHV

You do not have to book a return flight if you are using Bunac, it is an optional extra!

Oh god, I'm thinking me and Oz might not mix too well after all! Was only out in the sun for about an hour yesterday and I make a tomato look anaemic today!!

Once college is completely finished I think I'll start looking at things more in depth. I did read in the Australia & New Zealand magazine that thet're putting a proposal forward to make 2 year WHV more accessible - whether that'll come off I don't know.......and if it does I doubt it'll be in time for when I want to get out there!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Toni,

I'm planning on going to Australia in January 2013 and exploring the whole country... if my money doesn't run out before hand. I'm only 18 so don't have too much money but I am hoping to buy a 4x4 then travel everywhere in it working along the way. Not that I've decided where I am going soooo many choices and decisions to make. I've been planning on going back ever since I went there on holiday 4 years ago which was amazing.

If you go to any northern parts of Oz then make sure you go in the dry season otherwise it will be incredibly humid and horrible, but you do get amazing electric storms :cool:

I haven't really looked at any costs yet other than the cost of cars and insurance, which I can afford, don't know about food and petrol and places to stay though... I might be in for a big shock :/

Oh and I hope to extend it to two years then go to New Zealand for two years afterwards... then I might be really crazy and attempt to drive back to England :D

Elliot

• 3 months later...

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one thinking about this - Toni, you sound just like me!

I'm also 28, also thinking of doing the WHV and most likely going to do it alone. I'm actually going over for 21/2 weeks this coming Saturday to stay with a friend in Perth and to see how I cope with it. Right now I've a mixture of nervous excitement, but I'm not nearly as organised as you, I'm putting my money on my prepaid card on Wednesday when I get paid lol.

The way I'm feeling right now I think the prospect of going there for a year is both appealing and scary, so I would also probably consider paying to go through the agency and travel with others.

If anyone wants any tips/insights into places to go on their travels, we're probably about 1/2 way around now - we started in Perth and wiggled around WA, through (up and down) NT and now into QLD, are currently in FNQLD, LOVING Cairns totally :D. Our website has some posts about our travels so far, any specific questions on anywhere we have been ask away - would say DO NOT MISS the Kimberly, and lots of the totally stunning scenery in WA, it is epic - completely and utterly.

If you are getting your own transport, seriously consider getting something you can sleep in as it really cuts costs, as you can free camp (in allowed places) quite a bit, which helps out :) Food is about the same as in England we find (apart from junk, which is mega expensive, ie cakes and biccies), and petrol is really cheap (to us) at about $1.50/litre (we use diesel, I think unleaded is cheaper though).

Hope you enjoy the travels :D