To go or not to go???

Guest HayleyJ

Guest HayleyJ

Hi everyone,

I am seriously considering a 12 month working holiday visa but I'm a bit worried that I may have to go alone! I've heard lots of people have done it and absolutely loved it, including my dad but that was like 30 years ago and for some reason I think it's easier for blokes! I think I would rather go with someone cos I hate being on my own! I'm trying to persuade people to come with me and I'm hoping my sister will but she can't until May at the earliest, and I would really like to get away sooner rather than later! If anyone has any advice on travelling alone (good or bad stories!), staying in hostels, getting work, making friends, anything really! I would really appreciate it :-)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going on my own and would have it no other way reason being: you cant fall out with yourself.

I know thats not the answer youre looking for but i thought id give my reason for going on my own. I hope you come to a decision about what to do. Im sure there is plenty of people on here who will help you make the right decision for you.

good luck

Guest guest57545

My sister did a WHV on her own in about 2006 after about 2 months she met her bf who shes still with now! not that i'm suggesting the WHV is a form of dating.

My experience is of all the places to travel as a single female oz would be the easiest and safest one to pick. Hostels are friendly and everyone is up for a laugh and doing things go for it!

Guest HayleyJ

Thanks guys :-)

I must be the only person in the world that falls out with myself every day! After looking at more posts on here I've seen a lot of people going it alone and they seem to be doing ok and finding people to meet up with so maybe it's not as scary as I've been thinking, and I've read that the hostels are good, not dodgy like I imagined! So maybe I just need to be brave and go

Im a parent to 2 girls now 18 and 21 and i can say i would prefer them to go with a friend, for security reasons.

im not trying to put a mocker on it for you but as a parent i would hate to think my child was in another country back packing it alone

more so for girls than boys.

Good luck either way

Guest HayleyJ

It's good to get a parents perspective though, I don't think my parents think I will end up going so haven't really said what they think! But at 25 I feel like if I don't go now I never will. It would be nice to have some company and I would feel safer in the first few weeks if I was with someone while I'm finding my feet but I've got my work cut out trying to get someone who can come with me! Everyone is tied down with house, job, wedding plans, etc, but thats all just fell through for me :-( but I'm ok now cos I'm busy planning this trip of a lifetime that I've always wanted to do and now is the perfect time :-) I think if I speak to people before I get there it will make it a lot easier

Join the YHA, don't do anything stupid like hitch-hiking, swimming outside the flags or when you've been drinking, or sunbathing between 10am and 3pm, and you'll be OK. Most of the hostels seem pretty well organized now and you should be able to make friends there. I came here on my own in 1978 and, apart from drinking too much, I did not do too many dumb things.

Guest The Pom Queen

I have known some younger girls do it alone and it wasn't what they expected, especially when you are in a mixed dorm and they are all foreign (don't talk any English) or they are having parties every night in the dorm, or taking drugs etc.

At the end of the day it really does depend on who is going to be in the hostel at the same time as you. A friend of mine arrived she met a group of lads and had a ball, the problem was they were moving on a few days later and she was left on her own and the ones sharing her dorm didn't speak English and were partying until 2-3am and doing drugs. If you are aware that this may happen then I think you will be fine, and if it does happen I would ask to swap dorms or move on to another hostel. I know in Cairns there are lots of single girls backpacking alone and they have all made friends, it's just that it can be daunting at first, especially when you first arrive and your emotions are all over the place.

I did it myself in 2006/2007 and don't regret it for a second. Be fussy about the hostels you stay in and do some research first - read reviews, look at photos etc. Trip advisor is pretty good for this.

I went on a bus tour up the East Coast when I first arrived and that was a great way of building confidence and meeting people - a lot of them were also on WHVs. You do need to put yourself out there a bit to make friends but hostel bars and kitchens are always good and people tend to be in the same boat. Don't be too fussy about work either - you'll end up doing all sorts! But again, a great way of meeting people.

Hey hayley, Just go for it, some people think its best to go with a friend and others prefer to go alone so they can stick to their own plans. Sometimes people end up splitting up anyway because one person wants to go one place and the other doesnt. Im sure theres a thread on here for people going alone, maybe you could contact them for advice or to even meet up? I've heard the hostels are good over there so that should be fine

Do a google search for "backpacking australia". It will give you lots of links, companies who could help you when you first arrive, probably a forum or two so you can contact others who are visiting about the same time. If you can make some contacts before you arrive it won't seem so daunting.

Also, the Youth Hostel Association Australia website has lots of useful information.

I am a woman who has no qualms going it alone travelling. In some ways it gives you far more freedom as you can pick and choose, never have to worry about what the other person wants and do on. I also find it makes me get out there, walk into a bar or cafe on my own, order a beer and chat to the locals. You soon meet people and find friends on the way. Some you might hook up with for a few months of travelling/house sharing, others it's a week till they move on to the next town, or a great evening over a few beers.

If you don't like going to the cinema or walking in to a bar on your own for a drink or the evening to see a band, then maybe you'd find it hard. I consider that the litmus test in how a person might cope travelling alone. I don't mind doing either and like my own company. Nor do I worry what others might think because I am on my own. For some people going it alone teaches them, shows them they *can* do it and they get stronger and more self reliant for it after a while. It's about having self belief and some of the old proverbial balls if you are a woman travelling alone :P

Hi everyone,

I am seriously considering a 12 month working holiday visa but I'm a bit worried that I may have to go alone! I've heard lots of people have done it and absolutely loved it, including my dad but that was like 30 years ago and for some reason I think it's easier for blokes! I think I would rather go with someone cos I hate being on my own! I'm trying to persuade people to come with me and I'm hoping my sister will but she can't until May at the earliest, and I would really like to get away sooner rather than later! If anyone has any advice on travelling alone (good or bad stories!), staying in hostels, getting work, making friends, anything really! I would really appreciate it :-)

Hi Hayley, I went travelling on my own when I was 20, my best friend who I was going with found out 3 weeks before we left for our year that she was pregnant. So I went on my own and it was the best thing that I ever did! I met so many brilliant people that I dont think I would have done if Id gone with my friend, you definately become more confident and make friends easier if you are on your own. Go for it, you are only young once!!

I'd been planning a year in Oz since 2004 - finally managed a 6 week trip last year and I'm going out in July this year for the full year. I put it off for years cos I ended up with a longterm boyfriend that wasn't up for it so when we split up it was pretty much the first thing I started planning. I went on my own and had an awesome time - hence wanting to go back! As others have mentioned, Australia is definitely one of the safer places for a girl on her own and as long as you don't get complacent and take silly risks you'll be fine. You do need to be sociable and make an effort to chat with people - easily done if you go on some trips/nights out that hostels organise, stay in shared dorms, cook your own meals and generally just be in the shared areas instead of shutting yourself away in your room.

I'm an only child and my parents weren't thrilled at the idea of me travelling alone at first but it's so easy to keep in touch, there's internet access everywhere and really good deals on mobile credit so you can keep in touch easily - as long as your nearest and dearest don't mind being woken up in the middle of the night when you forget the time difference and just can't wait to share your adventures with them!

I met loads of great people along the way - one or two odd balls too but it all adds to the fun!!

If you're still out there in July I'll come find you and make sure you've found your feet! Enjoy x

My advice would be to go on your own!

I felt the same as you and went with a uni friend. It was a bit of a nightmare! When we got out there she didn't talk to anyone else. When we went out at night she didn't talk to anyone. When we were in the hostel she didn't talk to anyone. When I would go out with workmates she would sit in the hostel bedroom by herself. I felt guilty every time I did anything.

It really became difficult and after 6 months she went home anyway. I carried on for the other 6 months alone.

Honestly you will meet so many people, it was one of the most amazing experiences of my life.

Guest HayleyJ

If you're still out there in July I'll come find you and make sure you've found your feet! Enjoy x

Definately! I'm gonna start sorting visas and everything out as soon as possible, my sister is up for it at the moment but even if she doesn't come I'm aiming to go around May, depending on applications etc, but it would be brilliant to meet up! x

Absolutely you should go - you'll ALWAYS regret it if you don't.

I reckon that unless you're travelling with someone you know you are 100% compatible with in terms of attitude, expectations, social skills etc then you'll be better off alone anyway.

Not that you'll actually be alone by any means - you'll meet a heap of great people in hostels etc as you travel - all the benefits of having someone to undertake all the necessary drinking and activities with - but with the added benefit that you can go your own way and do your own thing whenever it suits you.

Don't pass up this amazing opportunity - I always reckon that travelling helps you find yourself as a person and clarifies your mind in terms of what you actually want out of life. Much better to figure that out at 25 than 60 ;)

Huge good luck on your adventure - you won't regret it!

• 2 weeks later...

i was planning to go to oz with a mate but she changed her mind so i went on my own in 2008 and think it was the best thing i ever did! Have you heard of ozintro? i did that for my first week, everyone in my group had come over on their own, i made some really great friends and lived in sydney for a while with a few of them. So many people i met were travelling by themselves so its really easy to meet people! You will be fine :biggrin: look up www.ozintro.com