Camp Sites/Vanparks

BritChickx

Staying in a camp site or van park if you have your own tent or caravan is a cheaper way to travel and see the country, normally around $20-30 dollars per night of you're basing it on 2 people. This thread would be good for people to recommend or warn people about different camp sites, and any funny stories that go along with camping! Have only stayed at 2 so far but will let everyone know which ones we stayed at and if they're any good or not!

Margaret River - Riverview Tourist Park

&

Esperence - Pink Lake Tourst Park

Both very nice. Clean facilities and quite big camp sites. No problems with staff of people staying at the time, everyone we met and the staff were friendly. Camp kitchen was free in Margaret River but here in Pink Lake you have to pay on a half hourly rate for the oven, but on the upside there is a coffee/tea machine! But both campsites clean, TV in both, and the bathrooms/toilets cleaned daily. Both near town centres.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest guest37336

'Most' BIG4 caravan parks/sites are fantastic. Clean, friendly staff, all trips arranged through reception, can a bit more pricey, but for a clean and generally family safe environment can't go wrong.

Also Broome vacation village, tents, cabins, van sites, shop on site, just out of town and very friendly.:yes:

Cheers Tony.:wink:

Guest guest37336

THE ONE AND ONLY 'RETREAT' AT PALM COVE, CAIRNS.:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

GONE NOW DUE TO A HOUSING DEVELOPMENT, BUT A PLACE THAT WILL ALWAYS BE WITH ME, FOREVER.

Wasn't one of the better known places, but was the ONLY one that changed everyone who came into contact with it. Set amongst the rainforest, it was the closest I have ever come to a 'spiritual' (with the exception of North West Australia) experience.:yes:

PS. Sorry about the caps and bold, but only way I could get my message across.:notworthy::notworthy:

Guest The Pom Queen
'Most' BIG4 caravan parks/sites are fantastic. Clean, friendly staff, all trips arranged through reception, can a bit more pricey, but for a clean and generally family safe environment can't go wrong.

Also Broome vacation village, tents, cabins, van sites, shop on site, just out of town and very friendly.:yes:

Cheers Tony.:wink:

The Big 4's are pricey but as you say definitely worth it as the facilities are superb. It may be worth while staying on some of the free camps for a few days and then head for a Big 4 when you want a little luxury and to do your washing etc.

Guest The Pom Queen
heres a couple of pics taken by yours truely literally 5 secs ago since were laying in the tent now lol... shows the camp kitchen and also the size of our powered site :)

5 seconds ago, jee it's been pitch black here for the last hour:wideeyed:

Guest guest37336
The Big 4's are pricey but as you say definitely worth it as the facilities are superb. It may be worth while staying on some of the free camps for a few days and then head for a Big 4 when you want a little luxury and to do your washing etc.

Last one we went to Kate (Redlynch) after three days in a smaller cabin they upgraded us to a massive cabin for the remaining three weeks, without us asking as well.:notworthy:

I know they weren't that busy but they didn't have to.

Mind you, it could have been Beck's giving them that 'look' when in reception and complaining about Dads snoring.:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Guest The Pom Queen
Last one we went to Kate (Redlynch) after three days in a smaller cabin they upgraded us to a massive cabin for the remaining three weeks, without us asking as well.:notworthy:

I know they weren't that busy but they didn't have to.

Mind you, it could have been Beck's giving them that 'look' when in reception and complaining about Dads snoring.:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Did you venture to the Rocks swimming hole when you stayed there Tony, the boys have been often but two weeks ago was the first time I've been down.

Guest guest37336
Did you venture to the Rocks swimming hole when you stayed there Tony, the boys have been often but two weeks ago was the first time I've been down.

Certainly did Kate, but by god was it chilly,:shocked:.

While the rest of the family went dipping I was off looking at the fishy life and wandering looking for 'nasties', found a small Carpet Python, which the rest of the family didn't seem to want to know about for some reason,:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Also found a couple of Stinger Trees, again the family weren't interested and screamed 'Get Away From It Moron,:no::biglaugh:

Guest guest37336
I had never heard of a stinging nettle tree until I moved up here. Didn't realise how dangerous they were.

The old days of the early pioneers Kate, many men became somewhat delirious when they got 'touched' and the amount of horses that had to be put down because of the pain was unbelievable, no comforting them, and they had no choice but to shoot the poor buggers.:cry:

There was a fella on TV not long ago who did 'experiments' with the flora and fauna of OZ, and he 'stung' himself on purpose. Only the tiniest of stings under controlled conditions and on the tip of the finger, but within 5 seconds he was in agony.:no:

Us errgain. Last night we stayed at the John Eyre motel/vanpark in Caiguna (driving through the Nullabor). We stayed in a motel room so can't comment on the camping side of things but it was quite spacious and it was pretty busy for a small roadhouse! There's a petrol station and a cafe and bar all under one roof, with a TV ,jukebox and pool table. Can eat in or take away, plenty of chairs/tables to dine in. Food and drink pricey - but you are in the middle of no where! Same with fuel. Our room was $119 but that was for 4 people sleeping. Cheapest motel rooms are $80. Think the camping was $20-25 for a powered site. Motel room was clean and tidy. No problems when we stayed there. Friendly staff. No pictures I'm afraid! Will try to get some from google lol.

BritChickx - How much was the fuel/litre if you don't mind me asking? Trying to work things out for our trip, and have a horrid feeling I'm being optimistic on fuel pricing :( Cheers :)

Fuel prices are up and down at the moment, and vary from state to state also, even vary on day of the week believe it or not, not to mention discount coupons from Coles etc.

North Queensland, unleaded is anywhere from $1.41 per litre to $1.55 today

We will be staying in some of the big 4 sites including, Mount Gambier, Port Fairy, Apollo Bay, Phillip Island, Batemans Bay,Port Macquarie and Ballina, they have cost us various amounts between $45 and $68 for a pitch for our motor home. We will be sure to take notes on all of the above sites and post our thoughts on these when/if :wink:we return.

Guest The Pom Queen
Fuel prices are up and down at the moment, and vary from state to state also, even vary on day of the week believe it or not, not to mention discount coupons from Coles etc.

North Queensland, unleaded is anywhere from $1.41 per litre to $1.55 today

Yes and it's cheaper in Charters Towers and Townsville to what it is in Cairns CBD how on earth do they work that out. We paid $1.39 in CT, in Cairns it's $1.47. Diesel is around $1.55 most places.

Guest The Pom Queen
We will be staying in some of the big 4 sites including, Mount Gambier, Port Fairy, Apollo Bay, Phillip Island, Batemans Bay,Port Macquarie and Ballina, they have cost us various amounts between $45 and $68 for a pitch for our motor home. We will be sure to take notes on all of the above sites and post our thoughts on these when/if :wink:we return.

Thanks Andy:notworthy: when do you set off?

Port Fairy is lovely I could easily live there.

Thanks Andy:notworthy: when do you set off?

Port Fairy is lovely I could easily live there.

We fly out to Sydney on 20th of this month which is 2 weeks Thursday :jiggy:

Guest The Pom Queen
We fly out to Sydney on 20th of this month which is 2 weeks Thursday :jiggy:

Wow that's come around quick, have a lovely time and if you are passing up this way give us a shout.

Wow that's come around quick, have a lovely time and if you are passing up this way give us a shout.

Maybe we will Kate :wubclub:, if you pm me your details then we may be able to arrange something :yes:

Last night we stopped at Penong and stayed in Penong Caravan Park, and slept in the tent. The ground is quite solid so it might be difficult or impossible to pitch a tent in some parts of the park! But we managed it. Reasonable size. Not too busy. Clean facilities (toilets/showers/laundy/bbq area). Oh, one small thing, FLIES! There seem to be a few (lots) buzzing around when it's hot so make sure you have your fly spray with ya! Camping on a powered site is $24 a night, no non powered sites (don't think!), Cabins $70ish a night. Will put pics up when net allows :P

From what we've seen In the main towns in WA/SA they seem to be around $1.45-50 )(for unleaded), when we were driving through the nullabor it was anywhere between $1.75-$2. So yeah be prepared!

Actually, thats not as bad as I feared - we had prepared for it being mega bucks when we are out in the never never (especially once they hear our accents lol), but we were worried the price in 'civilisation' as it were had risen to nearer $1.70/litre as well. Phew! :D

Cheers for that :biggrin: